5.6gb ram used - doing nothing

Where'd my ram go?
    (Process Explorer the 3rd party app can't make heads or tails of this either...)

If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

When was the last time you restarted? Firefox has a well known memory leak that kills your ram.

Just booted it up last night. Don't really use my pc much anymore.
    Suppose I'll try that now though. Probably should have done it first
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Even if it leaks it would still be counted for as usage by that app, also I believe 32 bit app cannot even allocate more than 2 GB of RAM for itself.

Never encountered this problem myself, somethings wrong definitely...
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Does the problem occur after you ran a game or program or straight from startup?

From the top of my head I'd say run a virus scanner / anti malware scanner to see if that might be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirleck View Post
    When was the last time you restarted? Firefox has a well known memory leak that kills your ram.
    Any browser that you leave open for a long period of time starts using more ram, but as was said in a post before me that would still show up in the processes.
    I'd say a reboot OR virus scan

- Awinee
    Last edited by Awinee; 2012-04-24 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wromthrax View Post
    Even if it leaks it would still be counted for as usage by that app, also I believe 32 bit app cannot even allocate more than 2 GB of RAM for itself.

Never encountered this problem myself, somethings wrong definitely...
    Really depends, if they labeled it as "trashed" windows would dump it from the memory quota, even if it's still there. Once i moved away from firefox, I wouldn't have high memory usesage anymore.

Just rebooted and started task manager while stuff was still loading... already was at 69% and went up a bit from there.
    Doesn't add up

Run the virus and anti malware scan and see if you find any viruses on your computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's what I'd do... Go to MSConfig(Windows key + R then type MSConfig and hit enter) and go to the Startup tab and simply disable everything then reboot and see if your RAM usage is lower. If it is, it means its a program that is starting up with Windows and I would then proceed to enable them all, but disable one at a time and reboot.

Something in your startup process is killing your ram. You should check running in safemode and trying running a malware scan, or a virus scan.

If it were a startup program he would still see it in the Processes afaik. Considering there's nothing in the processes my best guess it's just a virus Viruses can do bad things to your pc including completely ruin them!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awinee View Post
    If it were a startup program he would still see it in the Processes afaik. Considering there's nothing in the processes my best guess it's just a virus Viruses can do bad things to your pc including completely ruin them!
    Ah, true unless its a service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, remove FFox, google chrome and w/e browser you have, clear all history, temp, cookies. Look at Autorun, if there something suspecious - remove, then reboot and try again
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Figured it out!
    Was a 4gb software ramdisk I used awhile ago (and disabled) that was ghosting in the background... completely invisible o.O
    Down to 22% now, much happier.
    Thanks all.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd look at RAM Map. Microsoft's sysinternals really have a lot of answers.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../ff700229.aspx

Should show everything. The only oddities I've seen are when you're virtualized, but then you probably wouldn't need to ask for help on mmo.