Thread: Gaming PC help

  1. #1

    Gaming PC help

    Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew a place or a website were I could buy a good gaming computer for under $1500, a computer that will let me play World of Warcraft, and Diablo 3 on Ultra settings. Currently, and this is embarrassing to say, but currently, I have an Acer computer from 2006... Yeah, I don't know much about computers but I am trying to learn, and my PC from 2006 needs to go, because in WoW, the music will skip, the game freezes randomly and could freeze for maybe 10 seconds to 5 minutes.

    Though my father did tell me about where he bought his PC from, at Cyber Power PC so I was thinking there. I'm taking suggestions because I hate my Acer from 06 and desperately need a new computer.

  2. #2
    Brewmaster Idrinkwhiterussians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Posts
    1,485
    If you are brave enough, you could build one yourself and get much better pieces for the same price as you would pay.

    I am sure others will start linking build guides and everything, and if you give me a bit, I can link a build in your price range also.

    Think about it this way: It is like building a lego set. To the manual specs. With much more expensive pieces.


    Edit: 2 more things! This could be moved by a mod to computer build/help. Also, what do you have that you could re-use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

  3. #3
    If you don't want to build your own computer, check with friends and see if one of them will help you in exchange for a 6-pack or dinner or something. For $1500 you can buy a pretty slamming rig piece-meal, and it's as simple as picking out a combo-kit from Newegg! Has everything you need, but you have to put it together.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    If you are brave enough, you could build one yourself and get much better pieces for the same price as you would pay.

    I am sure others will start linking build guides and everything, and if you give me a bit, I can link a build in your price range also.

    Think about it this way: It is like building a lego set. To the manual specs. With much more expensive pieces.


    Edit: 2 more things! This could be moved by a mod to computer build/help. Also, what do you have that you could re-use?
    Re-use? Really, I am not a computer genius like my dad, I might be 19 but I still have a hard time memorizing computer parts and etc., but really, I think I couldn't re-use anything, it's just a standard Acer computer. Though my dad is trying to teach me all about computers so that would help me a lot about explaining things such as this.

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-24 at 03:09 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    If you don't want to build your own computer, check with friends and see if one of them will help you in exchange for a 6-pack or dinner or something. For $1500 you can buy a pretty slamming rig piece-meal, and it's as simple as picking out a combo-kit from Newegg! Has everything you need, but you have to put it together.
    None of my friends own a PC specifically for gaming which sucks :\

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cargath View Post
    Re-use? Really, I am not a computer genius like my dad, I might be 19 but I still have a hard time memorizing computer parts and etc., but really, I think I couldn't re-use anything, it's just a standard Acer computer. Though my dad is trying to teach me all about computers so that would help me a lot about explaining things such as this.
    "Secret ingredients" to a rig that will run WoW, D3, SWTOR, etc on Ultra:

    i7
    GTX570

    $1500 is probably over-doing it honestly.

  6. #6
    Honestly, building a PC your self for the very first time is incredibly intimidating, but you said your father knows a thing or two about PCs? Can't he help?

  7. #7
    Where are you located, as in Country?

  8. #8
    Brewmaster Idrinkwhiterussians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Posts
    1,485
    What I meant about re-use is like your monitor, mouse, keyboard. Are they all alright? Not bugging out? Giving you fits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    Where are you located, as in Country?
    I live near Seminole in Florida

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-24 at 03:13 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    What I meant about re-use is like your monitor, mouse, keyboard. Are they all alright? Not bugging out? Giving you fits?
    Oh, well yeah, I could re-use things like those, maybe a new monitor because this one is only 13 1/2 inches tall and 16 inches wide. I used to have a wider and taller one but it stopped working for some reason. Keyboard and mouse function properly though.

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-24 at 03:16 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    Honestly, building a PC your self for the very first time is incredibly intimidating, but you said your father knows a thing or two about PCs? Can't he help?
    Yeah, he can help, but since my parents are divorced and how he lives in North Carolina, I barely get to see him :\
    Last edited by Cargath; 2012-04-24 at 03:15 AM.

  10. #10
    I spent a month or so snooping around Newegg and random forums and taught myself pretty easily. Built my rig from the ground up all by myself (started with VERY little hardware knowledge) and it only took a few hours. Just like Whiterussians said, it's just like building a Lego set; once u get all the peices its just popping them together... albeit much more carefully. Save urself the ~$200 and build it urself with everything just how u want it! Just dont forget to include Win7 in ur budget like i did... And a new monitor/mouse/keyboard/headset would probably be nice too!!!

  11. #11
    Brewmaster Idrinkwhiterussians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Posts
    1,485
    Here is a sample build that I just threw together with ~$200 left over for a new monitor.

    Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7fAc
    Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7fAc/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7fAc/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS70 OEM DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1309.75
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-04-23 23:19 EDT-0400)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMaverick88 View Post
    I spent a month or so snooping around Newegg and random forums and taught myself pretty easily. Built my rig from the ground up all by myself (started with VERY little hardware knowledge) and it only took a few hours. Just like Whiterussians said, it's just like building a Lego set; once u get all the peices its just popping them together... albeit much more carefully. Save urself the ~$200 and build it urself with everything just how u want it! Just dont forget to include Win7 in ur budget like i did... And a new monitor/mouse/keyboard/headset would probably be nice too!!!
    Not only that, but unlike our old days of paper instructions for lego kits, they have full on video tutorials on Newegg, YouTube, etc. As long as you listen to what they say "don't push too hard, ground yourself", etc., you can't go wrong!

  13. #13
    Mechagnome shadowlich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hells gate and your next
    Posts
    562
    I have a computer with spec that can run wow for about 500$:
    Nvidia gtx 450
    GA-A75M-S2V mobo
    one of these two: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1258_8391_8391 (i forget which)
    8g of ram and a 450 watt psu
    Edit: most of the components were a barebone kit ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6887&CatId=332 ) so you need an os
    Last edited by shadowlich; 2012-04-24 at 03:25 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS70 OEM DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1309.75
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-04-23 23:19 EDT-0400)
    Looks good to me! Almost threw up when i saw the case, but it's definitely functional.

    But seriously, to OP and ANYONE else thinking about building ur own: DO IIIIITTTT! It's a fun and important skill to learn and very rewarding for very little work lol. Just watch a youtube vid on how to attach a cooler to ur CPU and everything else is just plug and play for the most part.
    Last edited by TxMaverick88; 2012-04-24 at 03:27 AM.

  15. #15
    We have a computer build forum here on MMO-Champion. They'll help you out.

    Also a huge fan of r/buildapc

  16. #16
    Brewmaster Idrinkwhiterussians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMaverick88 View Post
    Looks good to me! Almost threw up when i saw the case, but it's definitely functional.

    But seriously, to OP and ANYONE else thinking about building ur own: DO IIIIITTTT! It's a fun and important skill to learn and very rewarding for very little work lol. Just watch a youtube vid on how to attach a cooler to ur CPU and everything else is just plug and play for the most part.
    I put that case in because it is a decent one to work in, and has some good room in it. Not to mention decent airflow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I put that case in because it is a decent one to work in, and has some good room in it. Not to mention decent airflow.
    I'm partial to the Coolermaster HAF 912/922/932.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •