Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    You missed out on half of what the series has to offer. The series itself is as much a throwback to Haruhi as it is to otaku culture. You may as well watch Lord of the rings #3 without watching the first two movies. It's madness!
    are you talking about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mel...aruhi_Suzumiya when you say haruhi? the haruhi that was released 6 months prior to Lucky Star?

I really doubt they are doing a throwback to something released 6 months prior. They were probably already working on Lucky Star when Haruhi was released

Ghost in the Shell
    Baccano! (Easily my favorite anime and one of the best I've ever watched)
    Elfen Lied
    Angel Beats
    Soul Eater (Very good for today's Shonen)
    Berserk
    Cowboy Bebop
    Samurai Champloo (You are not allow to call yourself an Anime fan until you have seen Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Ghost in the Shell)
    Blood+
    Inuyasha given your tastes, I'm not a huge fan but it's ok for what it is.
    Trigun is great
    Hellsing
    Mirai Nikki if you liked Death Note
    Blood+
    Rosario Vampire
    High School of the Dead if you want a more modern shonen and dont mind fanservice out the ass.
    Guuren Lagan

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 09:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    You might enjoy Mnemosyne, Boku no Pico, Gyo, or Manyuu Hiken-chou.
    Is very good, if you're looking for the english name Rin : Daughters of Mnemosyne
    Last edited by Alsonia; 2012-04-25 at 09:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    are you talking about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mel...aruhi_Suzumiya when you say haruhi? the haruhi that was released 6 months prior to Lucky Star?

I really doubt they are doing a throwback to something released 6 months prior. They were probably already working on Lucky Star when Haruhi was released
    The anime for Haruhi came a full year before Lucky Star, with the original Haruhi novel coming out in 2003. Lucky Star started as a 4panel comic in 2004, with its anime not being aired til 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    As someone who has seen both lucky star and haruhi WUT? Seriously man not like we're talking Hayate no Gotoku or Pani Poni Dash here. I mean now THOSE two require an insane amount of series to watch first as well as n culture jokes to get. Hell i go back to watch them every so often to get ths new jokes(like how after finishing MAR i noticed Lucy Bobbo and many other Mar characters in drawings, posters and just showing up as background characters) however lucky star doesn't even have half as much as those two. So umm yeah man gotta disagree on that one.
    This is completely beyond the original point i was expressing.

Madoka is better having knowledge of the Magical girl genre, that which (according to his list) the OP doesnt have.
    Likewise, Lucky Star is better with knowledge of Japanese culture, Anime subculture and Haruhi Suzumiya.

Last edited by -Ethos-; 2012-04-25 at 11:51 PM.

Deleted
    This is completely beyond the original point i was expressing.

Madoka is better having knowledge of the Magical girl genre, that which (according to his list) the OP doesnt have.
    Likewise, Lucky Star is better with knowledge of Japanese culture, Anime subculture and Haruhi Suzumiya.

[video=youtube;PU8Cb4_TPME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU8Cb4_TPME[video]
    Maybe I just got more out of it because even though I haven't watched much anime, I am used to anime/otaku culture. So even though I haven't seen Haruhi, I'm more than aware of what it is, as it's quite a popular anime. I may not have picked up on every reference, but the more obvious ones are easy to spot.

I guess it's quite difficult to place yourself in the situation where you're unfamiliar with genres as common as magical girl anime if you've been familiar with it for a long time. I'm probably the same way with shonen, aside from when I watched Dragonball as a child I've never had any interest in the genre at all.

The anime for Haruhi came a full year before Lucky Star, with the original Haruhi novel coming out in 2003. Lucky Star started as a 4panel comic in 2004, with its anime not being aired til 2007.
    7 minutes of references over 600 minutes of tv series really should not make or break something for you

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    7 minutes of references over 600 minutes of tv series really should not make or break something for you
    Great job on completely glossing over the rest of the post.

Great job on completely glossing over the rest of the post.
    not glossing over, I'm just pointing out that your original grandiose statement isn't really true:

You can appreciate Madoka without prior knowledge, sure. But it'd be like watching Lucky Star without knowing who or what Haruhi Suzumiya is.
    Lucky star is much more about japanese culture like you said above so without knowing a lot of that you probably won't get as much out of it, which I agree with. Saying you have to know what Haruhi is to truly appreciate it is a bit of a stretch though

but we've managed to pull this thread way off track so I'll stop here.
    Last edited by bals; 2012-04-26 at 12:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While were on topic of anime I just started watching Higurashi no Naku Koroni, I thought I knew what was going on by the fifth episode now I'm all sorts of confused again.No spoilers if you can but just wtf is up with this show. I'm gonna assume there is some major plot twist I hope but at this point I'm just seriously scratching my head.

Fairy Tail. Once you hear the battle music you're hooked. It's some of the best music I've ever heard in a show, let alone an anime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Busou Renking a hidden gem!
    also as other said Full Metal Panic my all time favourite and if u like older animes watch Tsubasa Resavoir Chronicles Card Captor Sakura and XxxHolic (all from Clamp)
    also Kore Wa Zombie Desuka good anime ;X
    Asura Cryin
    Code Geas
    Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu
    Gundam 00
    Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
    Zero no Tsukaima
    Vandread
    Shikabane Hime Aka
    Shikabane Hime Kuro
    Nurarihyon no Mago
    Nurarihyon no Mago: Sennen Makyou

u can see a list and ratings of the animes i watched here http://www.anime-planet.com/users/In...er=desc&page=1

---------- Post added 2012-04-26 at 06:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    While were on topic of anime I just started watching Higurashi no Naku Koroni, I thought I knew what was going on by the fifth episode now I'm all sorts of confused again.No spoilers if you can but just wtf is up with this show. I'm gonna assume there is some major plot twist I hope but at this point I'm just seriously scratching my head.
    just sayin there is and the other seasons of the anime are all great ;x
    Last edited by Valynvin; 2012-04-26 at 06:31 PM.

Basilisk.

If you love old Japanese "story". Very well made, still remember after all these years...

Ghost in the Shell <3 I don't care what anyone says, it's still one of the best animes I have ever seen.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

Im definitely going to have to put my vote in for Ghost in the Shell, loooooove both, also Gurren Laggan, Samurai Champloo, and Big O

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Just keep watching with an open mind to what is happening. You will understand later on as more of the specific plots play out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PocLeCoq View Post
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Its one of my favorites.
    This. Great anime, Great story, and great animation.