Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    A really well-sorted diet comes first.

worrying about supplements when you are just getting into fitness is like worrying about aerodynamics when you buy your first car.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Forget the people telling you to focus on your diet or that taking supplements as a newbie is stupid. Yes a perfect diet is ideal, but even a 100% diet doesn't render supplements completely useless and like you said you have the money.

Taking supplements as a newbie is NOT useless, for example L-Glutamine is used primarily for muscle recovery, but it also focuses a lot on immune system support which is important when putting new and excessive strain on your body.

I currently take:

Whey Protein (mixed with my post-workout shake and also used to supplement any meal I feel is not giving me enough quality protein)
    Casein Protein (mixed with water, taken just before bed for it's slow absorbing properties to enhance recovery overnight)

Pre-Workout (MuscleTech NeuroCore, I would be using Gaspari Nutrition's SuperPump but it's too expensive, NeuroCore contains all your recommended creatine, arginine, beta-alanine, l-citrulline - NO, pre-workouts are NOT simply for stimulant / focus increase, they do far more than simply that)
    Post-Workout (6 Star Pro Nutrition Creatine X3 by the makers of MuscleTech, this is effectively just my fast-absorning simple carbohydrates also known as "Vitargo" plus things like L-Glutamine and is great mixed with some whey protein. Also contains creatine, l-glutamine, l-eucine, l-arganine, etc)

Branched Chain Amino Acids (I just use a local flavoured powder brand that I mix with my water to drink all day long for a nice taste and continuous supply of amino acids - if you don't know, BCAAs are what Protein molecules break down into for absorption)
    L-Glutamine (Plain powder, used for muscle recovery and immune system support - my post-workout covers this but I like to supplement with the plain powder mixed with some water and BCAAs on rest days or before bed)

Fat Burner (I use a local brand, but check out Grenade Fat Burner, they are top of the market).
    Multi-vitamin
    Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids

Honestly if you don't know what exactly to buy but have the money to spend, check out some of Bodybuilding.com's professional suppelment stacks that go along with some of their 12 week trainer series such as Kris Gethin's 12-Week Hardcore Trainer or Jim Stoppani's 12-Week Shortcut to Size

When I started gym I went onto Kris' program and followed all his advice for workouts, cardio, nutrition and supplementation. It answered a LOT of the questions that I had about various things and gave me the confidence in the gym. 2 years later and right now I'm busy repeating his program because it works so well.

If you are going to supplement, make sure:
    1) You read up on the importance of cycling your supplements so your body gets a break and that you don't exceed recommended dosage requirements or don't stack the wrong supplements and stimulants at the same time.
    2) You read up on substance control for athletes. For example most pre-workout stimulant supplements such as NeuroCore and Jack3d contain Methylhexanamine which professional athletes may not use in many cases.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Sinshroud; 2012-05-15 at 08:21 PM.

Moderator and contributor for The Consortium, a legitimate gold making discussion community that is also the home base for the TradeSkillMaster addon, and The Undermine Journal and WoWuction Web Applications.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgus-CC View Post
    because lets face it, who really wants to eat 3lbs of chicken breast everyday?
    Me, doesn't everyone?

OP, you only need whey protein and a great diet. Whey is not a must-have, but it makes having a high protein diet a lot easier.

If you want take something, wait for month 3 (or 6) and start on creatine. But only if you feel you aren't getting results.

Also, it cannot be stressed enough, diet is 70%. After that is sleep and dedication.

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't listen to them.

Try Nano Vapor from MuscleTech and Mega Gainer from Dymatize. (or similar products)

Ideally you'll research into what they actually do. Research is your friend when it comes to bodybuilding.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    worrying about supplements when you are just getting into fitness is like worrying about aerodynamics when you buy your first car.
    This ^

(apparently I can't just post "This ^", so...THIS ^)

Supplements will just save you time. Yes, you can get the size and the definition without taking supplements at all but it will take you some time. If you decide to use some supplements just don't do it for a long time otherwise they will mess with your liver. I would also suggest that you drink lots of water and buy some good natural antioxidants.

The only thing you should worry about atm is whey protein.
    Then gradually add up bcaa's, pre-workout supps, vitamin packs and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stickyjam View Post
    sort the diet first and commit to the gym..

later consider supplementing.
    Post with the most wisdom.

Don't use supplements until you know where you are going with working out, and that can honestly take years.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    BCAA, Glutamine, Creatine and ofc Protein.

There's a lot of bullshit out there about having to "creatine load" your system with 20g a day for a week. Unless I see a double-blind study to back this statement up, it's just marketing fluff. If you do decide to use a creatine supplement, 5g a day is fine and is way more than your body produces naturally already.
    The loading phase is all about saturating the Creatine reserves in the body. 20g per day for a 5 day period is used to saturate the muscle quickly, maintaining the saturation there after with a 5g/day dose. It isn't necessary to "load", as the same effect is reached after about 30 days when consuming 5g/day, however, it isn't wrong to do so either.

Also, when you're doing the 5g/day method it's been said to be best taking it directly after your workout, as the depleted body will absorb it more efficiently.

First of all, grats on the job, second, grats on wanting to join a gym. lastly, since you are working, save some of that money to see a Dietician/Nutritionist. After the tests are done, you will have an outline of what your specific body needs are.

Sure there is a lot of information out there from what others have tried and proven for themselves, but this is you. Some may think this advice is more than what you truly need, and just do this... for this long... to achieve this... etc. etc.

Most MMA type gyms have Sport Nutritionist working for the part-time, and these types of gyms give you an awesome workout, training in MMA, and allow you access to their Nutritionists via Face2face e-mail or office appointments.

Just a few avenues to take with a grain of salt.

also, the lower the fat content of milk, generally means higher amounts of sugar. ( surprisingly an 8 oz. Glass of low fat milk 1% has about 1/2 the sugar of a can of coke )

Get Calcium if you're gonna lift, and always have Omega-3 unless blood test confirm otherwise(for the O3). I'd also supplement B12 if you have trouble maintaining energy thurought the day(its the natural version of 5hr energy)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinshroud View Post
    Forget the people telling you to focus on your diet or that taking supplements as a newbie is stupid. Yes a perfect diet is ideal, but even a 100% diet doesn't render supplements completely useless and like you said you have the money.

Taking supplements as a newbie is NOT useless, for example L-Glutamine is used primarily for muscle recovery, but it also focuses a lot on immune system support which is important when putting new and excessive strain on your body.

I currently take:

Whey Protein (mixed with my post-workout shake and also used to supplement any meal I feel is not giving me enough quality protein)
    Casein Protein (mixed with water, taken just before bed for it's slow absorbing properties to enhance recovery overnight)

Pre-Workout (MuscleTech NeuroCore, I would be using Gaspari Nutrition's SuperPump but it's too expensive, NeuroCore contains all your recommended creatine, arginine, beta-alanine, l-citrulline - NO, pre-workouts are NOT simply for stimulant / focus increase, they do far more than simply that)
    Post-Workout (6 Star Pro Nutrition Creatine X3 by the makers of MuscleTech, this is effectively just my fast-absorning simple carbohydrates also known as "Vitargo" plus things like L-Glutamine and is great mixed with some whey protein. Also contains creatine, l-glutamine, l-eucine, l-arganine, etc)

Branched Chain Amino Acids (I just use a local flavoured powder brand that I mix with my water to drink all day long for a nice taste and continuous supply of amino acids - if you don't know, BCAAs are what Protein molecules break down into for absorption)
    L-Glutamine (Plain powder, used for muscle recovery and immune system support - my post-workout covers this but I like to supplement with the plain powder mixed with some water and BCAAs on rest days or before bed)

Fat Burner (I use a local brand, but check out Grenade Fat Burner, they are top of the market).
    Multi-vitamin
    Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids

Honestly if you don't know what exactly to buy but have the money to spend, check out some of Bodybuilding.com's professional suppelment stacks that go along with some of their 12 week trainer series such as Kris Gethin's 12-Week Hardcore Trainer or Jim Stoppani's 12-Week Shortcut to Size

When I started gym I went onto Kris' program and followed all his advice for workouts, cardio, nutrition and supplementation. It answered a LOT of the questions that I had about various things and gave me the confidence in the gym. 2 years later and right now I'm busy repeating his program because it works so well.

If you are going to supplement, make sure:
    1) You read up on the importance of cycling your supplements so your body gets a break and that you don't exceed recommended dosage requirements or don't stack the wrong supplements and stimulants at the same time.
    2) You read up on substance control for athletes. For example most pre-workout stimulant supplements such as NeuroCore and Jack3d contain Methylhexanamine which professional athletes may not use in many cases.

Good luck.
    i have to disagree with some of this you said here
    if you have a good diet, then you do not need a lot of the extra supplements, you can use the extra money and buy real food with it
    supps are there to "supplement" your diet
    supplements make up like 10% of your effort, the rest is exercise and dieting

Whey protein - its needed, but i use it to supplement the protein i cannot get from real foods, i for one cannot consume my daily macro of protein from real food sources
    Casein - not really needed, there is no catabolic time, focus on overall protein consumption is more important than the type of protein you consume

Pre workout - its there to make you workout harder and more focus, i use it on days when im feeling lethargic, it gives you that extra buzz/focus you need to get a good work out, its not necessary but it does help
    Post workout - no different from consuming a meal after a work out There is no one hour window of opportunity you dont need fast absorbing protein/carb after workout, the window of opportunity is like 24 hours, so getting your diet right is more important

BCAA/Glutamine - in your protein powder, no need to pay more to get something you already have

Fat burners - no real experience with this as ive been an ectomorph so its not needed for me, but from glancing over, a lot contain ingredients like green tea extracts or caffeine to suppress appetite
    Multies/omega3/6 - eat enough veggies/fruits and fish, you get them and dont need to buy extra

A lot of these supplements you can get from your foods, this is why people recommend getting your diet right first as you can save a lot of money from having to buy supps that are not required
    even though you said you got money to buy supps, there is a lot you can save and use that money to buy food that will do just aswell

unless your diet is really bad, then you dont need a lot of these, BUT if your diet is really bad that you actually need them, why are you even bothering with going to the gym, your wasting your time if you dont get the basics right first

Human digestion physiology:
    *Mouth to stomach - 25-40 seconds
    *Stomach - 4-10 hours (breaking down food into small absorbable molecules)
    *Small intenstine - 10-15 hours (that's the part of the process where you actually get nutriets, most of the absorbption happens here)
    *Large intenstine - 24-48 hours (everything that your body doesn't need forms into a big mass here until you take a dump)

So from the moment you put something edible in your mouth, takes 2-3 days for it to come out the other end.

Don't believe stupid shit like "1 hour window of opportunity" and other crap advertisers come up with. It's simply not true.

Just eat a lot of food, make sure it's quality food, make sure it's evenly spaced out throughout the day and don't skip meals.

whats your lifting routine look like?

Deleted
    well, suplements are sometimes good

every gym has instructors who are VERY, VERY informed regarding supplements and diets - just talk to one of them, tell him what your goals are - exactly why you are working out etc, then he will tell you what to take and what to do.