Deleted

turning the G1-G12 keys on my Logitech G110 keyboard into generic buttons

I'm trying to figure out how to turn my G1-G12 keys on my Logitech G110 keyboard into generic keys I can bind like any other keys inside WoW. because currently they're linked to my F1-F12 keys, which is ridiculous and blocks the usage of 12 keys that are easily accessible.

Assign the G keys to random keys on your keyboard you don't use.

Like:
    G1 turns into numpad1 and then just bind numpad1 onto your action bars. Problem solved

Did you install the software? Assuming you have Windows and installed the accompanying software, you access the menu from the up-arrow at the taskbar (usually down to the right), select Logitech G-series Key profiler.
    Then you select the valid M# and click the G# and "assign key function".
    You can also, straight from the keyboard, press the MR-button, followed by the correct G# key, followed by what you want to record and in what order, then the MR-button again and it will be remembered.

Most of mine are bound as macros, or key-combos.

Deleted
    look, i don't want to first bind it to other keys, because that would give issues when my typing goes wrong again. I just want my G1 key to be a generic button so that I can tell WoW to bind a certain button directly to G1, and the same with the other 11 keys. hell, i'll even install unsupported drivers for it.

Don't think it's possible. There's no such thing as generic keys on a keyboard, only in joysticks.

What you can and should do is first assign G1-G12 to some combo like alt-shit-ctrl-a to alt-shift-ctrl-j and then use those same keycombos inside WoW or any other game. Then there's no chance you'll ever activate anything by accident.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

You can't, they don't exist for all intents and purposes, and instead act as virtual keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

You can't do what you want it to do.

Just like with any device which has extra key functions, the only way to work is to assign random keys to them. So like assigning CTRL + SHIFT + 4 to g1 ... this would in turn make it easier for you to press g1 instead of that 3 button combo.

That is the only point of those keys. Wow or any other program will not recognize that key as being g1. There is a set of keys, and those are on your keyboard. Nothing beyond that exists.

Deleted
    so if i get this right, If i want to bind a G key to another function in WoW, i first need to bind that G key to another key, and that other key to my function? what kind of bullshit is that? then why does my G500 mouse have 2 buttons that I don't need to bind to another key first?

Deleted
    It may be bullshit, but that is how it works. Been that way since i got my G15 5 or 6 years ago. Although i do seem to remember some addon I used during classic wow that helped accomplish what you want. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

Edit: found it. It's for the G15 but might work for yours too. Can't link yet but have a look at curse.com/addons/wow/g15-buttons-continued
    Last edited by mmoc5d7c40aa6c; 2012-04-24 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    what kind of bullshit is that? then why does my G500 mouse have 2 buttons that I don't need to bind to another key first?
    Because the game recognizes mouse buttons 1-6 , it does not recognize "G-" keys. And why should it? 98% of keyboards don't have macro keys built into them.

so if i get this right, If i want to bind a G key to another function in WoW, i first need to bind that G key to another key, and that other key to my function? what kind of bullshit is that? then why does my G500 mouse have 2 buttons that I don't need to bind to another key first?
    Because it's designed to trigger a macro, not work as an actual key.
    What Tehterokkar said earlier is as close to a real button as you will get.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quaketek View Post
    It may be bullshit, but that is how it works. Been that way since i got my G15 5 or 6 years ago. Although i do seem to remember some addon I used during classic wow that helped accomplish what you want. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

Edit: found it. It's for the G15 but might work for yours too. Can't link yet but have a look at curse.com/addons/wow/g15-buttons-continued
    that addon still requires to bind keys double.

*sigh* i'll just rebind those G keys...

Deleted
    The uses for the G keys are limitless IMO, I dread the day my G15 breaks. For example you can assign a text block to them containing passwords. No more typing my wow password. Unless you have security concerns since it will happily paste the password into any frame that accepts text

It's possible, or so it seems (this guy did it, http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...h-G-Key-Plugin for TeamSpeak). I do own a G15 and for me, personally, I don't mind binding some action to something like CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-4 and then binding that to a G-key. Sure, it's not as easy as a one-click solution, but I won't ever hit those 4 buttons.

So, if you have any knowledge of LUA, then yes, it's possible.

Edit* It seems like it's WoW that is the issue, since some of the starter G-keys are mapped to F13-F24. Windows does recognize these (http://www.hotkeynet.com/ref/keynames.html) but WoW simply will not recognize them as valid. If WoW would recognize these keys then you would be able to map them in game.
    Last edited by Adorada; 2012-04-24 at 08:02 PM.

Deleted
    i've done this now, and I've actually noticed that if you first bind the keys in the G110 configuration, you can just press the G button in WoW when binding keys and it'll automatically bind it. wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Because the logitech driver/software captures the G key and sends the program (ie WoW) the programmed key/macro

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

i've done this now, and I've actually noticed that if you first bind the keys in the G110 configuration, you can just press the G button in WoW when binding keys and it'll automatically bind it. wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    Yea, this is how it's supposed to work. It's basically imitates the keypresses.
    Meaning you can put passwords and stuff there.

However, keyloggers still register them having been pressed, so it's not a foolproof way of evading them.

Might also be worth mentioning that G1 and F1 are two separate keys. I was a bit disdained myself when I learned that my G1-18 are bound to F1-F12 and 1-6. I later found out that something bound to, say, F10 won't be triggered if I push G10, and vice versa. I might be wrong on this one, but my personal experience says that the F1-F12 are only labels. Even if I'm wrong, I know you can have something bound to G9, and something else to the corresponding key (F9 in this case), without it causing any issues.

But as others have said, they're pretty much for macros. I had no intention using my G-keys when I got my keyboard, but since then I've made macro after macro (a pretty clever one even got me into the D3 beta). Even if it's just to greet people and ask how they are whenever I'm gaming with a group of strangers, it has definitely brightened my gaming days.

And about storing WoW password as macro. I did that before, for a few days, for the WoW EU forums (mail and password, that is). Since I had no idea in what format or what security it uses storing these things, I decided to remove them. Some things aren't worth storing in plain text format (or whatever it stores it as), easily accessible by the press of a button.