Help picking professions

So starting to enjoy the game ended up playing a Sorcerer but need help picking my crewskills. I know everyone says biochem is the best from what i have read. But it seems that they are trying to phase it out nerfing it with every patch. Thinking about taking up Synthweaving, Archeology, and Underworld Trading. Would that be a good choice? Also is that a good way to make credits? I dont really wanna take all gathering professions like I did in WoW because thats just plain and boring to me.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Gathering professions in TOR are different than gathering professions in WoW. While you can still go out and gather from the world, you can also forego all of that and just use your companions to gather for you. If credits is all you are worried about, there is decent money to be made there.

As for Synthweaving, if you are looking for an crew skill that creates appropriate armor, that will be the choice you want to make. Crafting crew skills are able to crit craft items that will have augment slots. You can either use these yourself of sell them on the GTN for good money.

you can only have one crafting skill, so you'll have to take two gathering professions.

biochem is fine, I have it myself on my main, but with patch 1.2, armor crafting became viable, too. because crafted orange armor with augmented slots is the best in the game and it can only be crafted. so as a sorceror, snythweaving is certainly not a bad choice.

on the other hand, I still have hope they will buff the other professions, too. like they did with synthweaving/armormech. so you should basically pick the ones you simply like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk about professions in this game. In wow, there was the stat bonuses that gave them some use at max level. In swtor, it feels like a lot of profs are made inferior b/c you can get mods through dailies and gear from ops is better. Maybe I'm missing something, I haven't been playing too long. Biochem just seems like the ones that is most beneficial at endgame. As for making money, it's all dependent on your own server as to what is hot and what is not.

I just read the post above mine. I keep forgetting about being able to RE gear and then crit em for augments >_<

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    Biochem just seems like the ones that is most beneficial at endgame
    That really isn't the case anymore. While the T1 Rakata stims and adrenals are still around, there haven't been any T2 items added and Bw isn't going to add them. The reusable nature and the increased stat bonus that you got being gone kind of removes Biochem from the king of the crew skill profession mound.

Make sure you get Diplomacy. Completing the missions give you Dark/Light side points and will allow you to make any story choice you want to without adversely effecting the alignment direction you wish to go. Also Diplomacy yields medical supplies which feed into biochem (while biochem may not be the hands down best anymore, the materials that feed it fetch a pretty penny on the GTN).

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely go synthweaving. You can make money by selling augments as well as crafting gear for yourself. It will definitely be added onto as new content comes out so you won't run out of things.

I like Synthweaving myself. Being able to craft gear while leveling, and learn schematics for custom gear (which sell pretty well and aren't that expensive to make) and allow me to change my look pretty easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    is armstech worth leveling up outside the barrel mods? used to have my merc. in biochem but dropped that for armstech and now i kinda regret it. just for the record, my only non-sith alts are the merc, Op (cyber-tech), and sniper (bio-chem).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonfiend76 View Post
    is armstech worth leveling up outside the barrel mods? used to have my merc. in biochem but dropped that for armstech and now i kinda regret it. just for the record, my only non-sith alts are the merc, Op (cyber-tech), and sniper (bio-chem).
    Cybertech really isn't worth it right now honestly. They don't have much going for them at this point so I suggest picking a different crafting skill for the time being. You can switch back later if you liked the concept behind it.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah...eventually everything will balance and nothing is 'required' to play like biochem was previously. I love having professions that fit my characters. Obviously the force users will have a synth weaver and then an artificer. My bh went cyber tech and my reroll bh is armormech.

Just gotta go with what sounds fun to you really. RIP slicing hehe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Yeah...eventually everything will balance and nothing is 'required' to play like biochem was previously. I love having professions that fit my characters. Obviously the force users will have a synth weaver and then an artificer. My bh went cyber tech and my reroll bh is armormech.

Just gotta go with what sounds fun to you really. RIP slicing hehe.
    Slicing actually can give you Grade 6 tech parts for crafting augments. Augments sell for A LOT.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Slicing actually can give you Grade 6 tech parts for crafting augments. Augments sell for A LOT.
    Yeah, I was more lamenting the infinite gold from original slicing lol. They are doing their fair share to bring everything in line, I agree.