Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Warhammer 40k Space Marine

Hello all, I am curious on what people think of this game. I picked it up a few days ago for the ps3 (I got a 30$ gift card from my girlfriends mom for Easter and was able to get this and MGS4) and must say I am really enjoying it so far.

I believe I am terribly biased though since I am a big Warhammer 40k fan in general so I was curious as to what this community thought of the game.

I am nearing the end around chapter 12 or so I think I do not want to say what happens as I do not like spoiling the game for anyone who wants to but has not picked it up yet but if you are familiar with the Warhammer 40k universe it is very predictable.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked it. Loved how the bolter "felt" in this game. However, it was just too linear and short to keep me coming back for more. The multiplayer just never quite "grabbed" me, like the Battlefield series did, either.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once I finish the campaign I plan on trying online. Was it dead or was it easy to find a group.

I can see how it being linear can draw some people off of it. The Marine quotes when you die and of course executions (mainly with the chain sword) made me forget about that though.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

It was a very ok game. The best thing was the proper number of enemies. I really liked how they reached back to Doom the mother of all FPS games. Chainsaw (in this case chainsword) + many enemies = good game lol. Always.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it used to be easy to find online action but the game's been out for a while so I'm not sure how it is now.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    I love Wh40k lore/fluff, but this game got boring real fast. It was too linear, very repetitive and the story was pretty generic (for Wh40k). Gameplay wise, I honestly think they could have done more with it, such as adding some RPG elements and more customization.

It's overall a really good game, but a little too short. Multiplayer is awesome but sometimes lags awfully and matchmaking can be slow.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Liked the singleplayer, evne if the environments are repetitive and boring.

But the multiplayer was an absolute horror.

I found Space Marine to be pretty goddamn spectacular. The weapons were all represented brilliantly (Lascannon could have had a more explosive effect but the Melta's righteous burning more than made up for that) particularly the bolter which was nigh-on perfect (see this video where Total Biscuit totally mirrors my reaction to the demo).

Game play was pretty old school shooter/hack'n'slash so I loved it all the way and I think they captured the feel of the 41st millenium incredibly well. I would happily pay the same for another single-player campaign of similar length because whilst it did lack depth, longevity and variety I had more than my money's worth of fun.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was on sell for 10$ yesterday on steam. Only played the first few levels but I'm liking it so far. Just a simple hack and slash game.

Although they do yell "SPACE MARINES" waaay too much.

Deleted
    The game does Warhammer 40k in justice. If you're a 40k fan, you will absolutely love it. The combat lets you feel the weight of the power armor as you graciously obliterate hordes of orks.

The melta gun and assault marine jetpack are fucking great too. Cinematics and the game's graphics and art style are master-crafted as well.(pun intended)

I'd say it's worth it.

Deleted
    This game is damn too easy, it took me only 6 hours to finish him on hard.

Deleted
    Predictable story, clumsy control system, very easy even on hard, last boss is a joke, no replay value.

The art and sound are good, but that's about it. Forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by slipn View Post
    Although they do yell "SPACE MARINES" waaay too much.
    Nope. They yell Spice Marine.

Oh and another thing. My mother language is not English, and blame it on this americanized world or not I have very hard time to understand spoken british English. Srsly I had to turn on subtitles lol.

But I accept Warhammer is a british thing. ^^

Good game.
    Just played multiplayer one time (steam) servers are full of max level guys that hit kill you

Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    Predictable story, clumsy control system, very easy even on hard, last boss is a joke, no replay value.

The art and sound are good, but that's about it. Forgettable.
    Yeah the story was predictable, as soon as you stick an Inquisitor in a 40k story who isn't the hero you know he's gonna accidently release some bad mumbo-jumbo and the *spoilers* at the end is also a typical 40k hollow victory.

I disagree about the clumsy controls, using an x-box pad I had no problems directing my character and whilst it lacked the accuracy of mouse controls I never was a fan of point-and-click-adventure type shooting and prefer the extra challenge of dual-analogue.

Last boss did suck but the event beforehand provided enough of a "final challenge" for me.

Re-play value has never bothered me much; I played through, had a great time and really appreciated the respect they gave the source material. As a huge 40k fan I can happily say I considered this the best Warhammer game ever.

Played since release, finished the singleplayer campaign - enjoyed it. Played multiplayer 'til I topped all games I joined - got bored and stopped playing. Never came back, especially now, seeing how they rip money off with crappy DLCs. It was nice for some time, I like the WH40k universum, but it was too linear and repetitive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Yeah the story was predictable, as soon as you stick an Inquisitor in a 40k story who isn't the hero you know he's gonna accidently release some bad mumbo-jumbo and the *spoilers* at the end is also a typical 40k hollow victory.
    It didn't help they gave away 90% of the plot in the trailers. Honestly I think the biggest surprise for me was that Leandros DIDN'T end up turning lolevil and falling to Chaos as at least one Spess Mehreen is required per plot by Games Workshop law.

Still a better ending than Mass Effect 3.

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    I love Wh40k lore/fluff, but this game got boring real fast. It was too linear, very repetitive and the story was pretty generic (for Wh40k). Gameplay wise, I honestly think they could have done more with it, such as adding some RPG elements and more customization.
    I agree. I LOVE everything Warhammer. I loved the MMO when it was released and I still love the RTS games. But this game was a big disappointment for me for the same reason nektar posted. But I am still looking forward to the 40k MMO.
    I'm still thinking about it...