10+ Year Old Account

[MoP] Sub-Par Talents and Potential Solutions

Tier 1: Speed of Light

In my opinion, this talent stands out as a poor alternative to the other two talents in this tier, which both give speed boosts with a massive difference in uptime and overall benefit. The following is a Paladin's aggregate run speed using Judgement and Speed of Light on cooldown, and with an average of 1.5 holy power, over 1 minute to simulate all disregard for "stacking" holy power to improve Pursuit of Justice's speed effect.

Speed of Light: 109.33%
    Pursuit of Justice: 125%
    Long Arm of the Law: 122.5%

So, Speed of Light's aggregate effect over the duration of its cooldown is lower than that of the other two talents, which both have high uptime and similar results. I personally don't think 8 seconds of insane speed make up for 52 seconds of zero benefit. I would like to see Speed of Light also include "Increases your speed by 20% during the last 50% of Speed of Light's cooldown and when this ability is not on cooldown." With this change, a Paladin with Speed of Light experiences an aggregate run speed of 119.33%. I feel like this average speed is a good number, considering with this talent a paladin also gets the nice 8 second sprint effect.

Tier 4: Hand of Purity

In my opinion, I feel the reasons why this talent is sub-par are somewhat obvious. Either this talent needs a longer duration to be viable or scrapped altogether, although a longer duration could make the talent too useful in PvP while still being sub-par for PvE(and if 1 or more fights don't include DoT effects.. then what?) I love the concept this ability presents and I think there is an opportunity for it to become a full-time, non-talented hand spell that could see some niche uses, but with the current amount of non-dispellable DoT's present in PvE, I just can't see it worth being taken over a Cold Snap for our Hand spells and a reduced CD on our major mitigation tools. Something has to be done, even if I cant think of any good suggestions that keep the overall talent idea intact. As it stands, this talent is just a watered down hand of Protection that, while debatably being an interesting tool in a Paladin's arsenal, doesn't match up to the other two talents in this tier.

I love the other talents we have access to, and I believe each tier is balanced well, save for these two talents, and I believe some semi-major fixes need to be introduced in order for these talents to become on par with others in their tiers. Do you think any other paladin talents are sub-par, or need work? Do you believe the 2 talents I singled out need work in the current talent tree? What are your ideas for fixes for these talents and others?
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post
    I personally don't think 8 seconds of insane speed make up for 52 seconds of zero benefit.
    Well that's completely dependent on the fight. On a fight like Yor'sahj insane speed on a 1 minute cooldown would be great. On Hagara it would probably be least useful.

Tier 4: Hand of Purity

In my opinion, I feel the reasons why this talent is sub-par are somewhat obvious. Either this talent needs a longer duration to be viable or scrapped altogether, although a longer duration could make the talent too useful in PvP while still being sub-par for PvE(and if 1 or more fights don't include DoT effects.. then what?) I love the concept this ability presents and I think there is an opportunity for it to become a full-time, non-talented hand spell that could see some niche uses, but with the current amount of non-dispellable DoT's present in PvE, I just can't see it worth being taken over a Cold Snap for our Hand spells and a reduced CD on our major mitigation tools.
    Again, it's fight dependent. On something like Deathwing final phase this is hugely powerful to drop on the tank when they're on crazy stacks. The other talents in the tier aren't going to help you here. On fights without a dot effect then you just pick one of the other talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    Well that's completely dependent on the fight. On a fight like Yor'sahj insane speed on a 1 minute cooldown would be great. On Hagara it would probably be least useful.
    Rogues have Speed of Light as a baseline cooldown. It's called Sprint. We have to use up a talent point to get a Rogue baseline ability. That is retarded.

i may be wrong but i think impale on madness is a dot the way it works is it channels the ability on you for 5 seconds then the first (and last) damage tick occurs im sure some other abilities in the past that behaved that way worked as a dot in which case hand of purity would be retardedly OP for it...but for probably 80% of fights it would be almost useless for pvp its would actually be somewhat decent atleast against any comp that uses dots

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    Rogues have Speed of Light as a baseline cooldown. It's called Sprint. We have to use up a talent point to get a Rogue baseline ability. That is retarded.
    It's almost as bad as the Monk AoE stun (can't remember name) they talent into for a 6 second AoE stun on a 25 second cooldown.

Our baseline stun is 6 seconds, single target, and on a 1 minute (30 second if talented) cooldown.

I...I just don't get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasture View Post
    In response to you and Pasture, I definitely see the utility present in this talent and I acknowledge it has uses. I just don't believe it merits a talent, and I especially don't think it's a comparable option compared against the other 2 in that tier. In my opinion, it doesn't have a lot of uses, and it's main fault is being completely useless at worst, while being marginally situational at best.

Again, it's fight dependent. On something like Deathwing final phase this is hugely powerful to drop on the tank when they're on crazy stacks. The other talents in the tier aren't going to help you here. On fights without a dot effect then you just pick one of the other talents.
    I agree with this sentiment. While the talent is useful, it doesn't hold water compared to the other two options. sometimes, it's a marginally effective option. But most of the time, IMO, it won't compare to the availability and uptime the other two movement talents give, and I can see it being a much less viable option.

It's almost as bad as the Monk AoE stun (can't remember name) they talent into for a 6 second AoE stun on a 25 second cooldown.

Our baseline stun is 6 seconds, single target, and on a 1 minute (30 second if talented) cooldown.

I... I just don't get it.
    Well, we do have the ability to choose between a 6 second AoE Blind, or a 3 second AoE Throwdown as our level 87 ability, along with our single target stun. Don't forget, we are Paladins, and we are the best class ever
    Last edited by kleinlax21; 2012-04-25 at 03:32 AM.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.