Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughJustice View Post
    Hello again, ive got my new parts all in correctly, i turn my computer on and i can go to y new motherboards set up thing. But if i try to start windows it gets to the screen with the color shapes moving for about a second, then a blue screen flashes and it restarts. I really dont know what to do

Intel i5 2500k and an asrock z77
    Simply put, you will have nothing but problems even if you manage to somehow get the drivers for the new motherboard loaded.

Like others have stated, your best (and almost only option) is to have a fresh copy of windows installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocolypticTampon View Post
    ^ This is the only way

After windows95 Microsoft initiated changes that required the OS to be "" locked "" to a hardware configuration.

Change the core (mobo) and you get screwed and have to re-install
    I just upgraded my CPU/mobo/ram and just ran sysprep before installing the new hardware with no problems. Everything on my desktop as well as all of my files were just as they were with my old hardware. It takes about 5 minutes and works like a charm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
    I just upgraded my CPU/mobo/ram and just ran sysprep before installing the new hardware with no problems. Everything on my desktop as well as all of my files were just as they were with my old hardware. It takes about 5 minutes and works like a charm.
    U sure it doesnt say x days to activate in system properties now?..

Sysprep isnt something that can hack the hardware ID to match the old one stored on M$ servers...

I've already reactivated it without any problem

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You HAVE to reinstall Windows, hell I'm surprised it's even getting at all to loading Windows. O_o

Stick in a Windows disc and install, back up your HDD first though. >_>
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You HAVE to reinstall Windows, hell I'm surprised it's even getting at all to loading Windows. O_o

Stick in a Windows disc and install, back up your HDD first though. >_>
    This is not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
    This is not true.
    If you get a brand new motherboard, it is true, please do not spread misinformation.
    "A flower.

If you get a brand new motherboard, it is true, please do not spread misinformation.
    No it's not, it's recommanded though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prove that it's not then, please.

The OP saying how he's BSODing and everything now only shows that yes, it needs to happen. When I first built my new computer, I was told I needed to install a new copy of Windows, and I couldn't use my old copy of Vista from my old Gateway. All I'm saying is, reinstall, he doesn't need to buy a new disc, most likely.
    "A flower.

I can't prove it and you won't believe me but I've done it on 4 different computers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Everyone take a step back and take a deep breath. It's not 100% mandatory to reinstall Windows when you get a new motherboard, but if you don't, don't expect it to be smooth sailing. It's ABSOLUTELY 100% recommended that you do a fresh install when switching mobos.

The OP saying how he's BSODing and everything now only shows that yes, it needs to happen. When I first built my new computer, I was told I needed to install a new copy of Windows, and I couldn't use my old copy of Vista from my old Gateway. All I'm saying is, reinstall, he doesn't need to buy a new disc, most likely.
    You can run sysprep before replacing your mobo/cpu/whatever. It basically removes all hardware specific drivers, so that when you replace that hardware, windows treats it as a brand new system and installs the drivers accordingly. I'm sure its not as foolproof as doing a fresh install, but personally it was worth giving it a shot because I hate the hassle of reinstalling everything on my computer.

Like I said in an earlier post, I just replaced my CPU/mobo/RAM and kept my Windows install and all of my installed programs and settings by taking 5 minutes to run sysprep before I installed my new hardware. It is very possible.

15+ Year Old Account
    Actually much like a Sysprep a different software is out there, IF you have the license for it, which will help out in situations exactly like this.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/

The BootCD has the option of clearing the driver cache and installing the new drivers from w/e location you want as long as you have it downloaded and unpacked somewhere.

It's not a reset and all info and settings are kept... however it will need reactivating which is fine, all computers, including OEMs, i've done it on has worked so yeh.

It's not a sysprep, just an adjustment to make it boot with a different mobo.
    It really does work!

10+ Year Old Account

I have a 500gb laptop drive that I installed win7 on for testing at work. I swap it into computers all the time and watch it boot into windows fine. Yeah video drivers and such are messed up, but it boots and works. We mainly use it when a hdd is passing PCDoctor tests but still wont boot.

I'm not saying this isn't the OP's issue, it very well may be. Just that it's possible to swap parts without issue.