10+ Year Old Account

For those having trouble selecting race or profession...

http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm

Here's my solution, from the perspective of somebody who has enjoyed plenty of D&D.

Roll a d8, and then take your profession from this list with the number you get:
    1. Guardian
    2. Warrior
    3. Engineer
    4. Ranger
    5. Thief
    6. Elementalist
    7. Mesmer
    8. Necromancer

Now roll a d10, and then pick your race from this list with the number you get:
    1. Asura
    2. Charr
    3. Human
    4. Norn
    5. Sylvari
    6. Asura
    7. Charr
    8. Human
    9. Norn
    10. Sylvari

For example, if I roll a 6 and then a 5, I'm going to be a Sylvari Elementalist.

When I have trouble with a decision, this is often something I turn to. Perhaps I'm just old school?

Edit: for the sake of the beta, you should roll a d6 with this list:

1. Charr
    2. Human
    3. Norn
    4. Charr
    5. Human
    6. Norn
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-25 at 08:28 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

For the coming BWE, just change the second list to exclude Sylvari & Asura, roll a d9 and divide by 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Man View Post
    For the coming BWE, just change the second list to exclude Sylvari & Asura, roll a d9 and divide by 3
    Ah yes, for the sake of the beta, you should roll a d6 with this list:

1. Charr
    2. Human
    3. Norn
    4. Charr
    5. Human
    6. Norn

There's obviously multiple ways to figure this out, with different die sizes, but I like to keep things as simple as possible. :3
    Funny thing: just about every die size, technically, could exist. But the more common ones are simply d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20. All of which are die sizes I actually own in a physical form. They sit in a little plastic "tube" on my shelf.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-25 at 08:51 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I actually still have a proper d20 somewhere at home.

But yeah, good suggestion. Me, I've already decided.

PLAY ALL THE THINGS!

I fudged the rolls and got... human elementalist... yay! just what I wanted to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    But yeah, good suggestion.
    Ha, glad you think so.

I mean, it's the same basic principle as a coin-flip... which can be counted as a 2-sided die...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Ha, glad you think so.

I mean, it's the same basic principle as a coin-flip... which can be counted as a 2-sided die...
    Coins are more difficult to rig though...

Ahem. Pretend you didn't hear that.

I find these things useful because I always get something I don't like....so I roll again...and again...until I find what I already knew I really wanted.
    Don't have to use it this time though.
    Good suggestion