Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    I think her point is that both help out. It's not a false dichotomy - you can do both, you know. And they both help quite a bit. But neither of them will make you immune.
    His, but yes. My point was that just brushing your teeth isn't going to prevent any and all oral problems, so it's not like it would negate any need for fluoride. And I never said fluoride will make you immune.

I think her point is that both help out. It's not a false dichotomy - you can do both, you know. And they both help quite a bit. But neither of them will make you immune.
    Yeah, when I grew up I brushed my teeth regularly and i took those tiny flour pills after every meal, so I don't say it's bad.
    But saying "You know, brushing your teeth doesn't make you immune to cavities" is kinda leaning towards "Because with flouride, it totally makes you immune."

Deleted
    have you never read anything outside gaming forums? there is alot going on.

maybe check out some alternative media site like infowars.com
    it has been known for years that our water is being poisoned by flouride and other bad chemicals, also flouride in the toothpaste does the same, there is flouride free toothpaste you can buy and also you can buy flouride water filters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    His, but yes. My point was that just brushing your teeth isn't going to prevent any and all oral problems, so it's not like it would negate any need for fluoride. And I never said fluoride will make you immune.
    Sorry, I have a nasty habit of assigning gender based on avatars. It's weird.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 04:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Simplywow View Post
    have you never read anything outside gaming forums? there is alot going on.

maybe check out some alternative media site like infowars.com
    Ugh, Alex Jones. His blind followers are just as "stupid" as those they're claiming to be above.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronium View Post
    Yeah, when I grew up I brushed my teeth regularly and i took those tiny flour pills after every meal, so I don't say it's bad.
    But saying "You know, brushing your teeth doesn't make you immune to cavities" is kinda leaning towards "Because with flouride, it totally makes you immune."
    No, actually, that's just you seeing what you wanted to see between the lines.

Sorry, I have a nasty habit of assigning gender based on avatars. It's weird.
    No worries. I tend to assume anyone I meet online is a guy unless told otherwise. lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Starborn91 View Post
    Actually there is if you look it up through a non biased source.
    You mean those hippie conspiracy sites?
    Yeah, totally not biased.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk and children's ice cream.

You know when fluoridation first began? 1946.
    It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice.

That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

Deleted
    nothing makes you immune for tooth decay. its not like teeth have antibodies that can be strengthened. it just helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I grew up in TX, and from what I understand, there was probably more Fluoride in the water than actual water lol. I lived. I used to drink soda like it was going out of style, and my teeth remained sparkly white. I didn't brush regularly, maybe once every 2-3 days or so (I was a kid, sue me). Now that I moved away, still drinking soda like a fiend but brushing daily, I have had several cavities filled, and my teeth are yellowing. I don't care if fluoride is poisonous, I want my white teeth back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, are u telling me that shit is dangerous ? and how is it dangerous ? ive only heard good things about fluoride. Its in toothpaste and chewing gum and in a lot of countries in tap water. We dont have it in tap water where i come from, so dentists recommend we dont flush our mouth too much after brushing teeth so that the fluoride isnt washed away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    You mean those hippie conspiracy sites?
    Yeah, totally not biased.
    And where do you get your info?

Deleted
    And where do you get your info?
    Chemistry and biology class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything in moderation?

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    Chemistry and biology class.
    So did they tell you everything there is to know about this chemical? Did they tell you how the Nazi's were the first ones to use it and why they did?

People should not just assume that they know everything without really looking to something personally.

All of you who are insulting those whom are of that school are very mean people.

You can have a difference of opinion, but DO NOT attack people.

I for one believe that fluoridated water is dangerous. That is my opinion. I have read many papers, have studied chemistry, and biology and Ochem in college. I have had discussions with professors and they agree with my opinion. (esteemed professors at McGill University, really, what crackpots we have teaching us, amirite!?)

Believe what you want to believe, that is the beauty about the universe and free will.

And, DON'T get me wrong, there are benefits to fluoride. I've read chemistry and nutritional textbooks that are out there, both for class and leisure. There are benefits, but I believe they DO NOT outweigh the risk.

I use fluoride free toothpaste and mouthwash, and I am happy that I live in a city without fluoridated water. I also do not drink bottled water, the ppm of flourine in it is unsettling.

Just remember, there is poison in the tap water.

And to give a balanced view of Fluoride, I'll quote one of my school textbooks. Yes, I am actually taking the time to type it out and not copy pasting from random internet websites.

Fluoride

Fluoride plays a key role in the formation of healthy ... teeth, and makes teeth resistant to decay and dental caries.

Flouride in Foods

Flouride is supplied to your diet through fluoridated water, beverages made with flurodiated water, black tea, green tea and fish with the bones. Many brands of toothpaste and mouthwash also contain flouride.

Excessive consumption of fluoride causes fluorosis, a condition in which the teeth become yellow. Other symptoms of fluoride toxicity include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and numbness or tingling of the face and extremities.
    Last edited by QuinthalasKT; 2012-04-25 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluxwave View Post
    whos to say brushing your teeth with all those chemicals is good for you???? really

edit: inb4 natural hippie stylez
    I don't know... every dentist so far that Ive ever met?

It's not like I drink the toothpaste or something. Sure, some chemicals in toothpaste is bad, and some are even made to remove plaque by grinding it down.
    That's why you find a good toothpaste by asking your dentist and not random people on the internet or shady facts that you read somewhere on the net.

Deleted
    So did they tell you everything there is to know about this chemical? Did they tell you how the Nazi's were the first ones to use it and why they did?

People should not just assume that they know everything without really looking to something personally.
    The Nazis used flouride

It must be bad

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I grew up in TX, and from what I understand, there was probably more Fluoride in the water than actual water lol. /snip
    Oh lord did I really just read that? The EPA allows a maximum of 4 parts per million in tap water, tahtmeans your water is at most .000000004% fluoride.
    We need these trace amounts to maintain our bodies, Iodine is poisonous too, but we need trace amounts of it so we add it to salt, so everyone actually gets a bit in their diet.

Edit: corrected bad info.
    Last edited by Swargle; 2012-04-25 at 10:24 AM.

That's the way your hard-core Commie works.
    Ehm... From the other side of the big blue: It's surprising, isn't it, that it is what the most hard-core Capitalist country in the world does... While the commies don't.
    But hey; keep your prejudice against dem damn commies, for all I care. Log, meet splinter.

Interesting to note, by the way: Do you remember the whole leaded fuel thing? Or FCFs (freon)? For decades, it was held that it was perfectly safe. Data was covered up, and even now, the company that (still) creates leaded fuel holds that it is perfectly safe...
    Nonsense. Our current atmosphere is absolutely poisoned by lead. Or FCFs: It was held to be perfectly safe. We put it in refrigerators, pray-cans and more... We now know that a single kilogram of FCFs will 'eat' about 17,000 kilograms of ozone (I might be wrong on the amount of ozone lost per kilogram of freons, but it was a whopper). And there's not that much ozone in our environment. As we speak, FCFs from the past are still eating merrily into our ozone layer, and not all countries have banned their use.
    Or how about PCBs?
    Dioxine?

All of these substances were deemed safe, even in the face of scientific research. Worse still, scientific research was FABRICATED to make it seem safe, and governments tend to cave in to corporate pressure through revolving door mechanisms, so that they allow the scientific research done or outsourced by the company itself as the valid one to base the safety of the product on. I'm not making this stuff up; I'm usually not a conspiracy nut, but these things are straight from (astoundingly recent) history. To think that that kind of stuff no longer happens is not just naive; it's so much worse than that.
    This is exactly what is happening with sweeteners such as ascesulfame K, aspartame, saccharine, sucralose... Animal testing has proven that these products are incredibly unsafe and highly toxic... But human testing is too limited, and the effects would take a lot of time to kick in. Human testing is rigged so that it seems 'safe.' Why? Because this stuff is lucrative business. It's in just about anything. Well; thankfully, it's not in so many things in the Netherlands (yet), but I couldn't get a bottle of pop in the UK without this stuff in it.

Fluoride in drinking water would be a huge buff to the companies (though in all probability only a single corporation) that supply the stuff. Absolutely huge. We're talking at least hundreds of millions of dollars in yearly revenue, though, admittedly, that is probably a very low estimate on my part. So of course it is 'scientifically' proven to be safe. Corporations pay scientists large sums of money to have proven exactly what they want to have proven. And if you are a biochemist, then really, any kind of paying research is something you really need... It's not that easy to say 'no' in such a scenario. Not if your livelihood depends on it. You take the jobs you can get. Companies like Monsanto even have inbound scientists who do the research for them, or outsource to 'independent' scientists who receive large wads of cash and/or a steady, well paying job at the company itself for their efforts.

That is the way your hard-core Capitalist works.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swargle View Post
    Oh lord did I really just read that? In warm climates the amount of fluoride in tap water is about .7 parts per million. that means your water, in places where you drink a lot of it, is .000000007% fluoride. in cooler areas they increase it significantly to 1.2 parts per million, or .000000012% of the drinking water.
    We need these trace amounts to maintain our bodies, Iodine is poisonous too, but we need trace amounts of it so we add it to salt, so everyone actually gets a bit in their diet.
    I think he was exaggerating for comic effect.