Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Macbook pro 13 inch. Anyone got one?

Good day gentlemen, I wonder if any of you fine people are playing WoW on a macbook pro 13 inch?

If so, it would be fantastic if you could take some time out of your day to let me know how it's running and on what settings you can play well in.

I ask this of you as I am in the process of buying one for work and was wondering if i would be able to fit in the odd session while i'm on the road.

Thank you, one and all.

This is the spec.

13-inch: 2.4 GHz
    2.4GHz dual-core
    Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz
    500GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

10+ Year Old Account
    The ones you can currently get from Apple, are really good for playing games on. I have a 17inch model and have played the games at near max settings and get just under 60fps in the outside world.

you will be surprised at what they are capable of.
    dictated but not read.

I have a macbook 13 inch and i tried playing WoW on it.

It runs fine if you want to do AH stuff but as soon as i enter combat it freezes completely and i end up either dead (when combat ends your lag is gone :P) or i kill the proces to get out of the game.

I'm not sure if im the only one but for me, WoW on macbook is a no go.

Keep in mind that the macbook 13 inch does not have a extern video card but a builtin so his gaming potential is rather low.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Facey View Post
    I have a macbook 13 inch and i tried playing WoW on it.

It runs fine if you want to do AH stuff but as soon as i enter combat it freezes completely and i end up either dead (when combat ends your lag is gone :P) or i kill the proces to get out of the game.

I'm not sure if im the only one but for me, WoW on macbook is a no go.

Keep in mind that the macbook 13 inch does not have a extern video card but a builtin so his gaming potential is rather low.
    What year is it from and what spec? Also noticed you didn't say macbook pro.

The only problem from the specs that I can see is the video card. Itll work perfectly fine for your work, but dont expect to be able to game happily on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatInternet View Post
    The ones you can currently get from Apple, are really good for playing games on. I have a 17inch model and have played the games at near max settings and get just under 60fps in the outside world.

you will be surprised at what they are capable of.
    As mentioned, the 13 inch doesn't have a discrete GPU as the 15 and 17 come with. Its gaming potential is somewhat crippled, even though HD 3000 should suffice for low settings in most games.

Deleted
    Aw okay, guess i'll have to just go without for a couple of weeks :<

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 12:26 PM ----------

hm, just done some further research and found - A youtube video showing wow running on the system im buying. Wont let me post link -.-

Seems to be running at around 25-30fps on max. which is more than bearable to me for having the odd 1/2 hour session.

For a moment I was considering the 15inch, even with a better gpu, it would kill me in terms of portability. ( have a 15inch sony atm )

But thanks for the replys fine sirs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaparty View Post
    Aw okay, guess i'll have to just go without for a couple of weeks :<

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 12:26 PM ----------

hm, just done some further research and found - A youtube video showing wow running on the system im buying. Wont let me post link -.-

Seems to be running at around 25-30fps on max. which is more than bearable to me for having the odd 1/2 hour session.

For a moment I was considering the 15inch, even with a better gpu, it would kill me in terms of portability. ( have a 15inch sony atm )

But thanks for the replys fine sirs.
    I have the 15'' model, and I find it quite portable. Macs aren't gaming machines, but they are capable to run a bit older games (like wow) on medium without much troubles. And blizzard is one of the few companies that actually develop games natively for both windows and OS X. Nearly all other games available for mac are ports, which kills like 30% of your framerate, compared to a PC with equal hardware.

Deleted
    Save yourself some cash and get a gaming laptop with 2x the specs. Those specs were average 2 years ago..

Everybody posting or reading any kind of results with Macbook gaming need to understand one very important thing:

MBP's from 2009-2010 will run games faster than 2011 models because Apple switched from proper GPUs into crappy ones or even plain integrated like in the 13" model. Newer ones are better for working but worse for games.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Everybody posting or reading any kind of results with Macbook gaming need to understand one very important thing:

MBP's from 2009-2010 will run games faster than 2011 models because Apple switched from proper GPUs into crappy ones or even plain integrated like in the 13" model. Newer ones are better for working but worse for games.
    Hm, the video i'm looking at is a 2011 one, with the intel 3000 such as mine. Seems to be running fine.

Title is ' MacBook pro 13 I5 running world of warcraft ' on you tube. If i'm missing something feel free to point it out

They are good for gaming.

I usually play PC games on my custom built PC, but when it was not working and needed repairs I raided fine on my stock 13" macbook pro.

Was raiding Firelands at max FPS with max settings on, was surprised TBH, hehe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinthalasKT View Post

I usually play PC games on my custom built PC, but when it was not working and needed repairs I raided fine on my stock 13" macbook pro.

Nice. Thanks for the reply, was this with the 2011 version? and what video card does yours have?

Max settings include shadows, particle density and multisampling too? I think not.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Max settings include shadows, particle density and multisampling too? I think not.
    Well those aren't any concern of mine, the idea of this thread is simply to discuss if the game will be bearable during my stints at work.

Well those aren't any concern of mine, the idea of this thread is simply to discuss if the game will be bearable during my stints at work.
    But a real concern of yours is how much people lie in their "max settings" posts.
    Trolling should be.

I have 2010 13' with nvidia 260M, been raiding/pvp without any issues on medium-good settings. Now with 64-bit client fps is constantly over 50-60.

I have water effects/shadows/texture projection/sunshafts disabled or low and all others on good.

I for a while used a macbook pro 13 inch from 2009 and it ran wonderfully. The only issues I had was once I started downloading a ton of addons, it vastly reduced the framerate. Given, Macbook pro 13's from 2009 used a Core Duo processor. Not the i5 (or i7, both are dual core though, so not much of a difference), that they currently run. Plus (as a smaller feature) you have a built in HD Fraps recorder that auto compresses to reduce file size, since youll be on a mac.

EDIT- wanted to clarify I had stock parts, nothing special.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 08:38 AM ----------

I could believe this. My 2009 version was able to handle semimax settings on the things that actually matter (View distance and particle density) with 40ish fps.

EDIT again :l - In firelands*
    Last edited by Naturtok; 2012-04-25 at 01:38 PM.

Good day gentlemen, I wonder if any of you fine people are playing WoW on a macbook pro 13 inch?

If so, it would be fantastic if you could take some time out of your day to let me know how it's running and on what settings you can play well in.

I ask this of you as I am in the process of buying one for work and was wondering if i would be able to fit in the odd session while i'm on the road.

Thank you, one and all.

This is the spec.

13-inch: 2.4 GHz
    2.4GHz dual-core
    Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz
    500GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-H...0.37948.0.html

Our performance tests with the high clocked mainstream version of the HD Graphics 3000 in quad-core processors showed a performance level on par with the current entry level generations from NVIDIA (e.g. GeForce 310M) and AMD (HD 5450). Some games even ran faster but still there are some driver glitches (like too dark scenes in Left 4 Dead 1&2 and Supreme Commander or not starting games like Mafia 2). See our extensive gaming review of the Intel HD Graphics 3000 for more details or at the end of this page for gaming benchmark scores.
    You're going to get pretty low end performance out of any on board GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would not want to play WoW on integrated graphics, but that said, you should pull 20-ish FPS on that combo w/ low-ish settings.