Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Does the Star Wars universe lack tabloid journalism...

I got to thinking this morning how no one caught on that Darth Vader was Luke's father.

In the period of 19 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope did the public at large really forget about Jedi?

I figured that honored guests that accompany the Supreme Chancellor to goofy space operas would be noticed by the galactic tabloid media. I also got the feeling from Revenge of the Sith that Anakin Skywalker was a public figure. At the end of the movie it is apparent that at the VERY LEAST Yoda, Obi-Wan and House Organa know that Anakin Skywalker = Darth Vader.

Rumors didn't filter out about this equivalence in the time span between episodes III-V? Really! If such an equivalence was made I would have figured someone within the Rebel Alliance between the Battle of Yevin and Hoth would have put two and two together that Vader and Luke have the same damn last names.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    Thoughts?
    Lucas cannot into consistent storytelling.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I'm sure that it was fairly well known at the time of Revenge of the Sith, after 19 years people forget, or don't care as it really isn't something people would continue to talk about. Even if it were common knowledge, it would not affect the story at all since there were very few people that knew that Amidala was married to Anakin and pregnant, and even fewer that the twins survived her death, and those that did know weren't talking (even to Luke and Leia).

Another thing that is really not clear is whether or not it was well publicized that Anakin Skywalker was transformed into Darth Vader by the Emperor, as far as Obi Wan is concerned he left Anakin for dead on Mustafar. Emperor dragged Anakin's near dead carcass back from Mustafar and rebuilt him with cybernetics, I'm sure he was not putting out press releases stating that Anakin Skywalker is now Darth Vader. For most, it would seem that this Dark Lord of the Sith just showed up one day as the Emperor's apprentice and started kicking ass and taking names as the Galactic Republic quickly devolved into the Galactic Empire, and you didn't really want to be the one asking questions at that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    elaborate some more and try to sell the idea to EU. if well writen it might get into something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of political change happened in those 19 years, and there was a rebellion underway by the time Luke met R2D2 and C3PO. I'm sure people noticed and heard about the "Guardians of the Republic" being systematically wiped out. Was there a particular line in ANH that makes you think they forgot about Jedi? If you're referring to Luke's conversations with Obi Wan, keep in mind that he was clearly sheltered by Owen and Beru, and probably had other interests as a teen beyond looking up old holovids of the Jedi. He mentions wanting to join the Academy (we can assume Imperial), and there was a scene cut from the film where he meets up with his friend Biggs Darklighter at Tosche Station to talk about flying and the Rebellion and such.

It wasn't that they forgot, more like they moved on.

Edit: Also, the few people you mentioned who knew about Vader's real identity (or at least suspected) were either in hiding and revealing what they knew would likely result in their deaths, or were exploderized by the first Death Star. :P
    Last edited by Profyrion; 2012-04-25 at 03:58 PM.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

I am not sure why the gerneral public would have cared that Darth Vader was Anikin... to them the Empire was the Empire and it's pretty darned totalitarian. So the fact that Vader had been a Jedi would have been less important than more pressing matters to most people.

Also Profyrion... it has been a long time since I watched ANH but I think when Luke talked about joining the Academy he was actually talking about a Rebellion Academy. I mean Tatooine was pretty far out on the edges of Imperial control and Luke certainly shows no hesitation at the prospect of fighting against the Empire at any point in the movie. If he had wanted to go to some Imperial Academy you'd think he'd have some kind of hesitation somewhere.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well you make a good point, but what rebellion in its right mind sets up a formal academy?

Maybe he just meant the pilots' academy? Like a school that isn't directly tied to the Empire...
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Oh that's a point too... hmm now I want to go back and watch it again and see if I can ferret out anymore clues.

First, on topic: Yes, there are tabloids and paparazzi in Star Wars, but they are rarely ever mentioned directly as most everything produced has more to do with the various galaxy-spanning conflicts than the mundane stalking of this holodrama star, or that particular heavy isotope singer-turned-glitterstim addict. Also, information would have been released to the galaxy that Anakin Skywalker, the New Order's last loyal Jedi, had been slain by his traitorous former mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, generating more sympathy and support for the Empire, as well as hatred and condemnation of the Jedi. That Darth Vader materialized out of nowhere never really came across anyone's mind since otherwise nameless beings (such as General Grievous, or Asajj ventress) had risen to prominence throughout the entire Clone War; Vader was just another in a long line of menacing people taking his turn in the galactic spotlight to the masses, and then he simply became as commonplace as stormtroopers and as reclusive as the Emperor himself.

To the point about people recognizing Luke's name and making a connection: This was precisely why Owen Lars fought so hard to prevent Luke from applying to the Imperial Academy. Remember, Vader had no idea he had children when he was reborn in his black armor; he had been under the impression that he had murdered Padme and his unborn child (since, apparently, no one knew it was twins until she finally gave birth - space age technology my ass!) with her. However, in the book Shadows of the Empire, Black Sun's Underlord Prince Xizor (pronounced She-zor) did make the connection as the Emperor had permitted him to stand out of view during the holocall to Vader during the scene from The Empire Strikes Back where Death Squadron was hunting the Milennium Falcon through the asteroid field. During the interim period between Episodes V and VI, Xizor set into motion a plan to capture Luke and kill him in an effort to exact revenge against Vader for the deaths of Xizor's family.

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Well you make a good point, but what rebellion in its right mind sets up a formal academy?

Maybe he just meant the pilots' academy? Like a school that isn't directly tied to the Empire...
    And to clear this up: Luke is talking about joining the Empire and entering into the Imperial Flight Academy on Carida - which, incidentally, is where Han Solo, Jek Porkins, Biggs Darklighter, and several other Imperials-turned-Rebels received their formal military training. To Luke, and many other natives of Tatooine, the Imperial Academy, be it for the Starfighter or Stormtrooper Corps, represented the best opportunity to get off that barren, back-rocket world and out into the greater galaxy where they could make a name for themselves instead of harvesting water vapor for the entirety of their natural lives.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind that the Jedi and Sith were pretty uncommon. If TOR is any indication: most planets I have gone to have hardly seen sith around when I'm doing side quests. They're surprised to have heard of one. I know this is a flawed assumption, but its still an assumption on my end.

Currently in the real world, we hear more about pop stars going to rehab than potential nuclear issues across the seas.

We hear about 'famous' people dying which masks ANY world event that could be occurring. I doubt culture is different in the Star Wars universe. People are simple to understand and predict.

When you have the government system in place that they have tabloid journalist don't last long. Its safe to say there is no freedom of the press in a Sith controlled universe.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    When you have the government system in place that they have tabloid journalist don't last long. Its safe to say there is no freedom of the press in a Sith controlled universe.
    Very good point. Sith don't want their dirty laundry spread around. They are too full of pride. They'd just murder someone on the spot for trying to give 'news' to the world.

A lot of political change happened in those 19 years, and there was a rebellion underway by the time Luke met R2D2 and C3PO. I'm sure people noticed and heard about the "Guardians of the Republic" being systematically wiped out. Was there a particular line in ANH that makes you think they forgot about Jedi? If you're referring to Luke's conversations with Obi Wan, keep in mind that he was clearly sheltered by Owen and Beru, and probably had other interests as a teen beyond looking up old holovids of the Jedi. He mentions wanting to join the Academy (we can assume Imperial), and there was a scene cut from the film where he meets up with his friend Biggs Darklighter at Tosche Station to talk about flying and the Rebellion and such.

It wasn't that they forgot, more like they moved on.

Edit: Also, the few people you mentioned who knew about Vader's real identity (or at least suspected) were either in hiding and revealing what they knew would likely result in their deaths, or were exploderized by the first Death Star. :P

The real question is after watching that clip, why don't more ppl wear capes?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Well, yes and no. Old Sith Empire, definitely not; Palpatine's Empire, yes. But Palpatine was very politically savvy and would have exerted a lot of control over all media outlets - mostly, I imagine, through a portion of the Imperial Security Bureau.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    And to clear this up: Luke is talking about joining the Empire and entering into the Imperial Flight Academy on Carida - which, incidentally, is where Han Solo, Jek Porkins, Biggs Darklighter, and several other Imperials-turned-Rebels received their formal military training. To Luke, and many other natives of Tatooine, the Imperial Academy, be it for the Starfighter or Stormtrooper Corps, represented the best opportunity to get off that barren, back-rocket world and out into the greater galaxy where they could make a name for themselves instead of harvesting water vapor for the entirety of their natural lives.

Oooh, I see. That makes more sense. Thanks

Well, yes and no. Old Sith Empire, definitely not; Palpatine's Empire, yes. But Palpatine was very politically savvy and would have exerted a lot of control over all media outlets - mostly, I imagine, through a portion of the Imperial Security Bureau.

From the EU we know they indeed DID do this.

One of the "leaders" of Wraith Squardon, Garik "Face" Loran, was a former child holo-drama actor. One of the characters in the book said something like "When you fillmed <forgot the name of the holo-drama> Imperial recruitment doubled!"

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's always a bigger lore nerd.

Great post. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also related to Expanded Universe stuff, the new "Fate of the Jedi" arc that just concluded in the EU fiction actually hits rather heavily on the theme of media and journalism on Couresant particularly and the Galaxy as whole to a lesser extent. It's a subplot, obviously, but still given the nine books in the series it gets a pretty extensive look. This is, of course, the SW universe of 40 years after Palpatine. Things have no doubt changed, but it was interesting to see the characters interacting with, using, and being used by a mostly free Galactic Alliance press.

I disagree. From playing various games, the Empire (from the movies) wasn't a complete police state 1984-style thing. In ANH I don't think varying ideas had much trouble propagating in outlying areas, though I suppose the core worlds could have had some brutal censorship.

I get a feeling power was a bit decentralized from this infamous exchange on the Death Star in ANH:

GOVERNOR TARKIN
    The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word from Coruscant that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away forever.

GENERAL TAGGE
    But that's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

GOVERNOR TARKIN
    The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

I think this is more accurate. He did say Tatooine was basically the farthest away from the center of the galaxy, which also gives the implication that politics mean very little there, so I think in his day to day life he just didn't care about the Empire one way or another. He did know about the clone wars, and that his father was a pilot in them, but he didn't seem to know that his father was a Jedi.

I think in all honesty, the Galactic Empire just controls the media, and so basically, there wouldn't be tabloid journalism, and "legit" journalists wouldn't be allowed to talk about it.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 12:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    I disagree. From playing various games, the Empire (from the movies) wasn't a complete police state 1984-style thing. In ANH I don't think varying ideas had much trouble propagating in outlying areas, though I suppose the core worlds could have had some brutal censorship.

I get a feeling power was a bit decentralized from this infamous exchange on the Death Star in ANH:
    It was decentralized, but it still worked for the Empire and did it's bidding.