RIP Graphic Card??

Last night while I was playing, I noticed that my brother installed a "plugin" to watch videos online ( which was most likely an adware or something like that ) so I decided to uninstall it and check my computer for any viruses. After I finished downloading, my computer started to act really weird, and froze out of nowhere, so I decided to reboot it to see if that help.

In addition to that, I updated the card drivers the night before, but during that time there seemed to be no problem whatsoever.

To my surprise, when my computer started, the screen started looking like this

http://i.imgur.com/7z2vv.jpg

After looking around, people told me that it was graphic card which was probably dieing.

since my card is almost dead( or it already is ), I decided to invest in a new card, but I have no idea how to choose the one I need; one that will run wow on good settings and give me good FPS ( WoW is the only game I play)

The card I currently have it's a nVidia Gforce 8600 GT.

I only have around $50-$80 to invest in a card that will run me wow.

Any suggestions?

Mod edit: Please use thumbnails if you're going to post a picture that large - noteworthynerd
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-27 at 02:03 AM.

www amazon.com/ATI-HD-4850-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B00652U4JO/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1335370224&sr=1-8

An ATI HD4850 looks pretty decent for the job, will not let you run graphics on ultra but med-high will be possible!

*edit: yeah this really is your gfx card dieing

Deleted
    Look about, their are some great cards for under 80 that will easily complete with your 8600 GT

For your budget you should get a new or used HD4870 or HD5770. HD4870 is a bit faster but lacks the newer features of the HD5770.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much exactly what it looked like when my Fx 4400 died in Tirisfal glades a couple of years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeo...371963&sr=1-25

HD 6570 $60

http://www.hwcompare.com/10526/gefor...-6570-oem-1gb/

Theoretically should provide slightly better performance. Although it really is an entry level card.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2012-04-25 at 04:43 PM.

Deleted
    1. Open Tom's Hardware, go into the GPU section
    2. Click on the most recent "Best graphics card for the money" article
    3. Buy what it tells you to buy for your budget

But $80 is too low to get a decent GPU, you should generally spend $150-$300 (at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Lolisa View Post

But $80 is too low to get a decent GPU, you should generally spend $150-$300 (at least).
    80 bucks is perfect for a 4870, or even a x2 in some cases, he'll only miss out on dx11, but that's a non-issue, consindering the performance he's getting.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

I wish I could run something on my computer x( .. but now I'm getting even weirder things on my screen, the screen is very hard to see.

I have $100 to spend on this card, I'll see the ones you people suggested and try to get the best one.

I went to best buy to check the ones they have and I found :

XFX One Graphic Card. 1GB version +Plus Edition http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+On...Card&cp=1&lp=1

Geforce GT520 EVGA : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+G...EVGA&cp=1&lp=4

I beg to differ. Over the past few weeks I've seen many ATI 6770 cards for $80 or less after MIR (assuming you are in USA) and some even included free game. For WoW it is more than sufficient for 1080p at high settings assuming adequate CPU etc.

I see XFX 6770 on Newegg for $90 after MIR. It comes with the faster 1200mhz memory, free game, and "lifetime" warranty. If the 1x DVI, 1x VGA, 1x HDMI arrangement is okay, then it's a good card that comes close to the desired price point.
    Last edited by Cows For Life; 2012-04-26 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    I beg to differ. Over the past few weeks I've seen many ATI 6770 cards for $80 or less after MIR (assuming you are in USA) and some even included free game. For WoW it is more than sufficient for 1080p at high settings assuming adequate CPU etc.
    Definitely isn't going to be sufficient for MoP. Playing in the beta with the exact same graphical settings, I've been getting on average 45-50% less FPS. They upped the graphical toll a buttload, which is a good thing for people with hardware to handle it. It looks great.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Definitely isn't going to be sufficient for MoP. Playing in the beta with the exact same graphical settings, I've been getting on average 45-50% less FPS. They upped the graphical toll a buttload, which is a good thing for people with hardware to handle it. It looks great.
    Have the graphics actually been upgraded substantially or is it just poor optimization due to early builds?

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Have the graphics actually been upgraded substantially or is it just poor optimization due to early builds?
    There's been a few improvements like better dynamic lighting, but most of it is due to a LOT more doodads in the scene, higher poly trees, etc.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics