Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeldaveritas View Post
    This is something that NO ONE asked for or wanted.
    Here's the thing, i didn't know we could ask for that. I wanted it, I just didn't know that I wanted it. I'm glad Blizzard told me.

I was thinking, following up this, we could have a "collectible card game" within WoW. Yes, I'm talking Yu-Gi-Oh style. As is, there are cards. Inscriptionists can make them. Mobs and bosses drop them randomly (the old decks). You could put decks together around stuff that already exists in teh game, so someone has a murloc themed deck and so on. They could tie cards in with the real CCG. It would be amazing, and if Battle Pets goes off well, that may be a next step.

And for those saying this is childish, I'm in my mid thirties, I played Pokemon back in teh day, and then later played it with my kids (both on GameBoy/DS, and the card game).

Thank you zomgname for the signature and avatar!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth View Post
    Ok, hold on one second.

Let me ask everyone on both sides of this argument one question: Would you rather have pet battles in game or a new primary profession?
    I would rather have several BC-style professions where the gear from them is upgradeable and actually matters for more than a single tier of raiding, than either of the choices you presented.

Unless this pet battle system is as refined, in-depth, and strategic as Pokemon's endgame, there is no way Blizzard is going to be able to cement this next to PVE and PVP as the third major pillar of WoW's competitive gameplay. (Which is what they are attempting to position it as with the current Mists marketing material.)

At this point in the beta, it just looks like yet another no-content metagame attempting to push players out of the faction cities. Which, like the other metagames, will be great for a month then quickly become a grindfest.

Recruiting all casters
    9 hours/week

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Unless this pet battle system is as refined, in-depth, and strategic as Pokemon's endgame, there is no way Blizzard is going to be able to cement this next to PVE and PVP as the third major pillar of WoW's competitive gameplay. (Which is what they are attempting to position it as with the current Mists marketing material.)
    Uh no, they aren't.

At this point in the beta, it just looks like yet another no-content metagame attempting to push players out of the faction cities. Which, like the other metagames, will be great for a month then quickly become a grindfest.
    That's EXACTLY what it is. A fun minigame you can do while in a queue or when you're online just chatting with friends.

Seriously, no wonder people are upset if they're this misinformed.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

what happens when pets die, do they stay dead forever

PvP players think this is childish, Yet it's not childish to /sit on someones face.
    Raiders think this is childish, Yet it's not childish to have a nerdgasm over vent when you killed a boss.

what can i say? kids will be kids...

Can't wait for the first addon that will change the in game sound effects to Pokemon sounds and the songs during combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    The idea of capturing wild critters and using them for battle, leveling them as you go, is apparently childish.

It's also one of the best, most addictive, "genre" in the history of gaming.

However, there's no credit to the whiners. They're just lashing at every single piece of MoP they can complain about. Why? Well apparently they don't like asian culture. That seems to be the common denominator of the complaints. "chinese doesn't fit WoW!", hm, what other human cultures have been introduced to WoW... native american, european, nordic, jamaican, egyptian, indian, arabic...
    Gee, wouldn't make any sense to have anything asian themed.
    Or keep insisting that it makes any difference whatsoever that pandaren were a "joke" a decade ago. The fact that they've evolved in lore to be more than fitting in WoW doesn't matter. Once a joke always a joke I guess.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2012-04-25 at 10:07 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    The idea of capturing wild critters and using them for battle, leveling them as you go, is apparently childish.

It's also one of the best, most addictive, "genre" in the history of gaming.

However, there's no credit to the whiners. They're just lashing at every single piece of MoP they can complain about. Why? Well apparently they don't like asian culture. That seems to be the common denominator of the complaints. "chinese doesn't fit WoW!", hm, what other human cultures have been introduced to WoW... native american, european, nordic, jamaican, egyptian, indian, arabic...
    Gee, wouldn't make any sense to have anything asian themed.
    Or keep insisting that it makes any difference whatsoever that pandaren were a "joke" a decade ago. The fact that they've evolved in lore to be more than fitting in WoW doesn't matter. Once a joke always a joke I guess.
    Said the same thing in another thread:

I didn't realize that Kung Fu Panda invented both Panda's, Kung Fu, and the Chinese culture. >.>

Every single thing in this expansion can only be deemed as childish if you have that mentality yourself. Panda's certainly aren't childish, neither is the Chinese culture (seriously? One of the LEAST childish cultures out there), animals fighting each other to near death, or even farming for that matter.

I am 31 and I think the pet battles is better than archeology. I can't wait to use Mr Wiggles to kick some tail. I am glad I took the time to try it out before I assumed that it was what the qqers deemed childish.... This will defiantly pass time before raids and I might can get my fiancé to play the game now. Yes people has a right to their opinions but if you think about it complaining wont take it out so it looks like to me your stuck with pet battles enjoy! .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Pretty much this.

Instead of coming up with something awesome like dynamic world events, guild houses, etc., we get this crap. What a complete waste of development time.
    Right, this only proves that different people have different desires. Name one non-RP guild that wants a guild house instead of a new raid. That's right, none.

Deleted
    can't wait to let Toothy onto the field of pet battles.

Quote Originally Posted by evilgnomey View Post
    PvP players think this is childish, Yet it's not childish to /sit on someones face.
    Raiders think this is childish, Yet it's not childish to have a nerdgasm over vent when you killed a boss.

what can i say? kids will be kids...
    Its childish to cheer or rejoice at a success. Damn the whole world is childish. I forget we had to mean mug hipster it up whenever there has been a success.

Still pet battles is a meh for me, I've never been a capture battle gamer. Didn't get into Monster Rancher, Pokemon, etc and I don't really care much for the pet aspects of classes that have them in any game. Warlock is really the only class I've ever played heavily, not just a few campaigns or for the sake of leveling, in near 20 years of RPG playing that has a pet that they "rely" on in a fashion. Most of warlock pets were either on a target doing a single attack in pve or the rare CC occasion. Still pet battles does give me one thing I wanted from this game years ago and that is the ability to trap critters and make them non-combat pets. Always thought that was a neat idea, but nothing more. Battling them has little allure to me, I'd rather farm mats of Fish..then again most raiders don't even want to help farm mats, guess they have something to do while I gather their fish feast and flasks...

Quote Originally Posted by Thalais View Post
    This is very much a rip off of Pokemon. All the way to capturing the damn thing.

Am I mad? nope. It looks fun. The pokemon games were and still are fun. Why not use this idea. It is about time we got to use those things.
    My issue is that WoW has just took it's first step towards buying gear for your character.
    How? You can buy pets in the blizz store. I could arguably say that dragons are OP as are Water, Guess what you can buy in the store? Dragons.

Stinks to say it but this is the end of working to get things. At the same time I'm glad to see that you can finally buy your way through it all.

Got a catch'em all WoWmon!
    really? i had no idea

Am I the only one that was astounded about how amazing the new Challenge mode DK set looks? In my opinion it's better then any other I've seen sofar for the Dk..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YBT View Post
    Cries about Pokemon-Is a Pony Faggot.
    I just love how relevent your post is. I also love how you respond to my comment of the fact they completely copied Pokemon by calling me a faggot. Good for you.

I know it's just in beta, but I don't think it can get any more boring than it is now.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand some of these crybaby posts. You mean to tell me ya'll will go out and do something as stupid as archaeology, but pet battles are a joke? Right NOW..your pet does nothing. Absolutely nothing but follow you around and do a corny animation every now and then. The UI team developed a way to change that and bring the pets we've been collecting since forever to life..and all you guys have to do is bicker and complain, and cry..and wish for player housing, and hell maybe we could have actual professions where we go to work for 9 hours... then we can build some clubs in goldshire and have happy hour together. Stop being so pathetically pessimistic, if you don't support the game, then just say it and find another that suits you. Don't sit there and sugarcoat your reasoning with b.s. What I am gathering is everyone sees pet battles and says 'damn you blizzard this is hurting our raids' when in all actuality you have yet to even see any of that content...because the game hasn't even been in BETA that long.

I would've liked it have been a bit more unique rather than so obviously copied from Pokemon.

I wonder what Nintendo thinks about this...