Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillingr View Post
    All the "top players" from WoW that I knew got tired of that watered down game a long time ago.

    If you need a place to play, my guild is recruiting. Check sig for info.
    We get it, you have a guild. It gets old after the 1000th time.

  2. #42
    Yes please tell me where all the WoW players will play so i can avoid that server

  3. #43
    The Patient wtfPanzerkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    251
    Probably still on WoW. Top WoW guilds are PvE raiding guilds. GW2 is more PvP oriented.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Yep, and I think that (hopefully) in exchange for losing that we will get back some kind of actual server community.
    Was listening to a podcast a few days ago where someone remarked hardcore WOW guilds have become insular islands of sorts. Which I thought was interesting in that the host said, "...have now become" and I remember from my time playing WOW [TBC era] that was mostly the case as well.

    In fact, going back to EQ1 I have found most hardcore and elite PVE raiding guilds to be quite cliquish &/or insular to that degree. Esp. back when guilds guarded their strategies and tactics zealously. Instead of this youtube nonsense we have nowadays.

    I am not so sure hardcore guilds have ever been "community" focused to any great degree over the 14-16 years I been interested in this genre of games. The very notion of hardcore guilds, regardless of game, is based upon exclusivity and the content follows.

    Guild Wars 2, in all PVE respects, is certainly not a hardcore MMO.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-04-25 at 09:29 PM.

  5. #45
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,889
    Well said fencers.

  6. #46
    WoW is competitive?

    Blizzard killed competitiveness after WOTLK launched.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Was listening to a podcast a few days ago where someone remarked hardcore WOW guilds have become insular islands of sorts. Which I thought was interesting in that the host said, "...have now become" and I remember from my time playing WOW [TBC era] that was mostly the case as well.

    In fact, going back to EQ1 I have found most hardcore and elite PVE raiding guilds to be quite cliquish &/or insular to that degree. Esp. back when guilds guarded their strategies and tactics zealously. Instead of this youtube nonsense we have nowadays.

    I am not so sure hardcore guilds have ever been "community" focused to any great degree over the 14-16 years I been interested in this genre of games. The very notion of hardcore guilds, regardless of game, is based upon exclusivity and the content follows.

    Guild Wars 2, in all PVE respects, is certainly not a hardcore MMO.
    There's always been that problem, but it's driven to an extreme at this point in WoW because of how the game's design has changed. It's not just the guilds that have become cut off from the community, but everyone. I'm not opining for vanilla or anything like that, but certain decisions (most of which were positive overall) have had the side effect of neutering any sense of community that existed.

  8. #48
    The Patient Mr Gnomage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    273
    This thread has made me sad. I play WoW and enjoy it most of the time due to friends that I have on there, but the overall community is lacking. Everyone is angry and trolling, and actually having a good time with random strangers is next to impossible nowadays.

    I thought maybe Guild Wars 2 community would be slightly better because of some of the posts I've read over the last few months, but I really don't see it happening. It will be the same as SW:TOR, where general chat is full of people comparing it to WoW, and people replying to them saying all kinds of mean ignorant shit like "Go fuck yourself WoW fanboy, we don't need your dirty rotten kind!!!" (Snow White.)

    Everyone is so angry these days. At least Guild Wars 2 will be largely playable by myself...There is that to look forward to.

  9. #49
    Mechagnome charlieprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    GuardianHQ.com
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Do everyone here a favor and stay on wow. We don't want your kind.
    this just this

    seriously WoW's more like a punishment to be honest, the fact people pay for that garbage makes me happy so please

    stay with wow, don't even go to GW2 we want you miserable and paying for it

    Please be respectful of other posters and refrain from bashing other games. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-04-26 at 02:24 AM.

    Twitter: @EsmeraldoC

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Do everyone here a favor and stay on wow. We don't want your kind.
    Only beta and already turning away players? Think Arenanet might disagree with you. The OP is just looking for a competitive environment to play in. Not sure how this impacts or affects you in any way. Would reconsider your sig as well. If you are so afraid of elitists in your games, why quote a faux elite gamer? TotalBiscuit = A casual WoW player who endlessly bitched about Blizz giving casual WoW players more content for their money. This is the same guy who called Cataclysm "The Renaissance" dozens of times (because he believed it would make everyone who wasn't hardcore quit) and railed against "Wrath babies." The OP is a gentleman compared to TB, and probably a much better player to boot.

    As far as OP's query, am guessing that serious WoW raiders won't be seriously raiding in GW2 since, well, there aren't any raids. 5 mans and dynamic events that anyone can join in are the PVE bread and butter. Probably will play GW2 a little on the side myself, but there is nothing in it remotely comparable to 25 man raiding (TotalBiscuit apparently forgot that 25 man raiding exists in WoW...he has been slightly confused ever since his normal 10 man couldn't get past Sindy in WOTLK).
    Last edited by skillym; 2012-04-25 at 10:06 PM.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    WoW is competitive?

    Blizzard killed competitiveness after WOTLK launched.
    Show us on this doll where that nasty M'uru touched your guild!

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    There's always been that problem, but it's driven to an extreme at this point in WoW because of how the game's design has changed. It's not just the guilds that have become cut off from the community, but everyone. I'm not opining for vanilla or anything like that, but certain decisions (most of which were positive overall) have had the side effect of neutering any sense of community that existed.
    Oh I won't disagree with you, per se. I play WOW very casually since returning after 2 1/2 year break. Most of my game time is tied up in other MMOs- I simply can't speak to the state of hardcore raiding or server communities in current WOW with any degree of granularity. That being said, I do feel hardcore PVE guilds have always been more or less the same insular islands they are today. It certainly is that way in other MMO raiding scenes despite WOW's development maturity and drama.

    I don't know anyone on my TOR server outside my guild for example. I do not think it is expressly a "current state of WOW" issue, so much as the way closed systems such as instance raiding lead to naturally.

    How a game is designed has a lot to do with the type of players that stick around and form the community- be it inclusive or exclusive, natch.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieprince View Post
    this just this

    seriously WoW's more like a punishment to be honest, the fact people pay for that garbage makes me happy so please

    stay with wow, don't even go to GW2 we want you miserable and paying for it
    I can see you didn't even bother to read my post, otherwise you might've not posted that.


  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    We get it, you have a guild. It gets old after the 1000th time.
    Have you heard I have a guild?

  15. #55
    Question: This has probably been answered but EU players can play US worlds?

    I ask as with SWToR I found that the EU servers were over run with Russians and other nationalities that would refuse to follow the CoC around speaking English in general chat and in general to be honest. So to avoid this issue with GW2 I would prefer to go to a US World. Pref Sorrows Furnace due to as soon as I heard DAoC vets were there I thought thats for me, Loved DAoC back in the day.

  16. #56
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Divinity's Reach
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by skillym View Post
    Only beta and already turning away players? Think Arenanet might disagree with you. The OP is just looking for a competitive environment to play in. Not sure how this impacts or affects you in any way. Would reconsider your sig as well. If you are so afraid of elitists in your games, why quote a faux elite gamer? TotalBiscuit = A casual WoW player who endlessly bitched about Blizz giving casual WoW players more content for their money. This is the same guy who called Cataclysm "The Renaissance" dozens of times (because he believed it would make everyone who wasn't hardcore quit) and railed against "Wrath babies." The OP is a gentleman compared to TB, and probably a much better player to boot.

    As far as OP's query, am guessing that serious WoW raiders won't be seriously raiding in GW2 since, well, there aren't any raids. 5 mans and dynamic events that anyone can join in are the PVE bread and butter. Probably will play GW2 a little on the side myself, but there is nothing in it remotely comparable to 25 man raiding (TotalBiscuit apparently forgot that 25 man raiding exists in WoW...he has been slightly confused ever since his normal 10 man couldn't get past Sindy in WOTLK).
    Careful, you'll give yourself an ulcer.

  17. #57
    from a pve standpoint GW2 has nothing for top guilds.

    form a pvp standpoint GW2 is just a better done arena. and that is teams not guilds.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Uncoordinated LFR raid will be a wipefest. You still need most people to know their roles in the encounter at the very least.

    Of course by now pretty much everyone understands their roles in each given encounter, so actual communication is no longer necessary for coordination.
    You still need to know how to use your class effectively in order to do well against meta events, as well as know what to do just for the boss itself and surrounding areas. There's a little less team work required in the events, but only if you use the idea that you are reliant on others to get the job done.

    I don't see much difference in overall terms of balance between LFR and Meta events, just that it's balanced more so on being solo and working together with people around you then being reliant on certain roles (tank, healer) to get the job done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    We get it, you have a guild. It gets old after the 1000th time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillingr View Post
    Have you heard I have a guild?
    In pretty much every other post, but that's off topic.
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-04-25 at 10:18 PM.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  19. #59
    Stood in the Fire lmenvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    A Small Town In, Washington
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by niblic3rd View Post
    Question: This has probably been answered but EU players can play US worlds?

    I ask as with SWToR I found that the EU servers were over run with Russians and other nationalities that would refuse to follow the CoC around speaking English in general chat and in general to be honest. So to avoid this issue with GW2 I would prefer to go to a US World. Pref Sorrows Furnace due to as soon as I heard DAoC vets were there I thought thats for me, Loved DAoC back in the day.
    Yes. You set your homeworld in your region (I think) and then you can go to any other world. I believe you can also request to set your homeworld in a different region so you don't have to play on EU at all if you don't want.


    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!


  20. #60
    Bloodsail Admiral Kharli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Stormwind
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by niblic3rd View Post
    Question: This has probably been answered but EU players can play US worlds?

    I ask as with SWToR I found that the EU servers were over run with Russians and other nationalities that would refuse to follow the CoC around speaking English in general chat and in general to be honest. So to avoid this issue with GW2 I would prefer to go to a US World. Pref Sorrows Furnace due to as soon as I heard DAoC vets were there I thought thats for me, Loved DAoC back in the day.
    uh dude/dudett happens in wow as well, but yes EU can play on US worlds as far as I know, we could do that in GW1, I was in a korean guild for like 3 days in Gw1, because they wereboosting me through Last mission, but i think you can move freely, it's stilll in beta.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •