Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    /eyeroll

Fine, I'll be nice. I just think the idea of skill in wow is funny.

Anyway Here:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-2-Beta-Server

Not sure what you consider a "top notch player" but here are where different communities are grouping up.

Quote Originally Posted by Asajj View Post
    I am not trying to be an elitist. I just want a competitive guild, and during my WoW time i've seen some people that I'd hate to play with ever again. I'm in it to win it, and that's the reason I'd like a server filled with people who proved themselves in another game.
    TBH with you, I think there are a number of us in the MMOC guild that are higher end players in other games (PvE/PvP/both). May be a safe bet for you if you'd like to join us, and I always like having other experienced players around.

Dungeons, both forms of PvP, and hopefully elite DEs in the later zones will all need skilled groups, and I'm looking forward to all of that content.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-04-25 at 07:22 PM.

Beta is unlikely to be "highly competitive" simply because most people will be too busy learning basic mechanics. These are different enough from current MMO norm to take a while to learn.

So I suspect that most of the "competitive WoW players" will be initially spread across servers and the concentration won't start until last BWE's/release.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    TBH with you, I think there are a number of us in the MMOC guild that are higher end players in other games (PvE/PvP/both). May be a safe bet for you if you'd like to join us, and I always like having other experienced players around.
    Or we're just a bunch of dicks who think we're good.

Lets wait and see! \o/

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    See: Dungeon

There's no vertical raid tiers like in WoW. There is "endgame" PvE content. Specifically in the form of Explorable Mode Dungeons. However, there's also meta events and Story Mode Dungeons.
    Dungeons =/= Raids (and to be clear I am excited about the lack of raids as I prefer small group content).

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Dungeons =/= Raids (and to be clear I am excited about the lack of raids as I prefer small group content).
    Define raid.

Raid, to me, is the hardest level of difficulty available for PvE content. If you define raid as large scale PvE group content, then you have meta events. If you require both to be one in the same, then your original post is correct.

I don't know how difficult meta events are, so they could possibly fit the description. However, they're not instanced and GW2 PvE is designed around personal responsibility, which you can't have in any meaningful sense with over 20+ players
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-04-25 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asajj View Post
    there are dungeons which they say can be rather challenging, there are world bosses and there's WvW. You don't have to be skilled for PVE only.
    I don't think any of that is going to vary greatly server to server though. For example, the only reason the better PvP players gravitate towards certain servers in WOW is because it only launched with a handful of PvP servers and those remained the ones to be on. Then, when battlegroups were put in place, other servers in the battlegroup of the original PvP servers become a little more appealing. That's just not an issue in GW2.

Dungeons and dynamic events just aren't going to require significant numbers of well-above-average players in order to participate in or enjoy.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pick a straw or join the MMOC guild basicly

Define raid.

Raid, to me, is the hardest level of difficulty available for PvE content. If you define raid as large scale PvE group content, then you have meta events. If you require both to be one in the same, then your original post is correct.
    A raid is a challenge in an MMO that requires a large number of people who are actively coordinating with each other.

Define raid.

I don't know how difficult meta events are, so they could possibly fit the description. However, they're not instanced and GW2 PvE is designed around personal responsibility, which you can't have in any meaningful sense with other 20+ players
    Raids are not hard - they are merely logistic puzzles for a few people to figure out... As an individual player, unless you are really dumb, raiding is easy.

On topic: I don't know where they would go, but top guilds defined by what? PvP? PvE?

In case you are looking for PvE you'd do better to just get a small group of good players since all instanced PvE is 5-man content. 'Raids' are public Dynamic Events (although they have a theorized failure rate of 40%). The game is mostly about 900+ players duking it out in the Mists (PvP zone) and smaller BG-style instanced PvP.
    Last edited by Hellgaunt; 2012-04-25 at 07:30 PM.

Or we're just a bunch of dicks who think we're good.

Lets wait and see! \o/
    Hahaha good point, I might leave this weekend crying myself to sleep until the next BWE "omg I'm such a scrub... what happened to me... my EQ toon is rolling over in his grave!"

A raid is a challenge in an MMO that requires a large number of people who are actively coordinating with each other.

This fits that description. Meta events.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-04-25 at 07:38 PM.

How do you classify large number? Running a dungeon could technically be considered a "raid" in GW2. It still requires the same amount of coordination, likely more than WoW does in certain aspects.

OT: You're never going to find what you're looking for. There won't be any sort of idea which server is going to be the best for at least I'd figure 5 months after release. Also, the only thing your home server matters for is WvWvW which has 2000 players so unless your server is going to recruit 600+ players that are the BEST you'll mostly be out of luck. Thankfully what you're after doesn't exist in GW2. Unless you're looking at structured PvP which is 5 people and I believe that does not factor in your home world so you can do it with anyone. Just play and find 4 other people you like and mesh with and go to work. No home server coordination required.

"Proving themselves in another game" will not work at all here, since this is a new gameplay style.

You'll have to play yourself and learn who is a good player or not by your own judgement. That being said, remember you can visit any server if you want a different community. And I can assure you in every server you'll find worthwhile people if you just bother to look.

Take the initiative.

This fits that description. Meta events.
    Those don't meet the definition of requiring coordination. The large dynamic events are predicated on the idea that individual players can jump in and take part without issue.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 07:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    How do you classify large number? Running a dungeon could technically be considered a "raid" in GW2. It still requires the same amount of coordination, likely more than WoW does in certain aspects.

OT: You're never going to find what you're looking for. There won't be any sort of idea which server is going to be the best for at least I'd figure 5 months after release. Also, the only thing your home server matters for is WvWvW which has 2000 players so unless your server is going to recruit 600+ players that are the BEST you'll mostly be out of luck. Thankfully what you're after doesn't exist in GW2. Unless you're looking at structured PvP which is 5 people and I believe that does not factor in your home world so you can do it with anyone. Just play and find 4 other people you like and mesh with and go to work. No home server coordination required.
    I'd say at least 10 people is required to call it a raid. Like I said, I don't think this is a bad thing. I couldn't be happier the game doesn't have raids, but I think calling dungeons or dynamic events "raids" misleads people and draws unfair comparisons.

Probably won't ever be the type of game that brings prestige PVE guilds in number or retains such a community. Too inclusive, too small, too simplistic. Horizontal progression. Same as the first Guild Wars.

I imagine they'll still be on wow servers playing wow.
    ^ Accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Probably won't ever be the type of game that brings prestige PVE guilds in number or retains such a community. Too inclusive, too small, too simplistic. Horizontal progression. Same as the first Guild Wars.

^ Accurate.
    Yep, and I think that (hopefully) in exchange for losing that we will get back some kind of actual server community.

Those don't meet the definition of requiring coordination. The large dynamic events are predicated on the idea that individual players can jump in and take part without issue.

I'd say at least 10 people is required to call it a raid. Like I said, I don't think this is a bad thing. I couldn't be happier the game doesn't have raids, but I think calling dungeons or dynamic events "raids" misleads people and draws unfair comparisons.
    Then using LFR is not a raid then? I agree with your second statement though.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Then using LFR is not a raid then? I agree with your second statement though.
    Uncoordinated LFR raid will be a wipefest. You still need most people to know their roles in the encounter at the very least.

Of course by now pretty much everyone understands their roles in each given encounter, so actual communication is no longer necessary for coordination.

All the "top players" from WoW that I knew got tired of that watered down game a long time ago.

If you need a place to play, my guild is recruiting. Check sig for info.

Please don't advertise for your guild outside of the guild recruitment thread, you've done it multiple times and it's not acceptable in these forums. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-04-26 at 02:21 AM.