Poll: Economically speaking, is one AH for all realms feasible?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

One Auction House for All Realms

Please keep in mind when reading this that when it comes to topics relating to economy, I'm useless.

Which is why I'm asking you more educated-in-economical-stuff people this question:

How good or bad would one auction house for all realms be?

I mean one for all NA realms, one for all EU realms, etc.

I don't want to see things like "it would be really hard to make" or "the technological complications would be too great". I want people to reply to this and say why this would be good or bad for the economy of the World of Warcraft.

It would lead to a massive crash in the prices of stock due to the fact your current population would change from thousands or hundred in most cases to literally millions. There would be no ability to monopolize the market as undercutters would be able to do so without the fear of being caught due to the servers never being he same. Farming would die as it would become a cast that auctioned goods would simply be going for slightly more than the price to sell them to a vendor.

So pretty much this: Only good things
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Well they could do it similar to the Runescape Grand Exchange, which works really well.

You wouldn't be able to see everyone's listed auction, instead you would do a search by item, and then type in the price you are willing to sell or buy that item for. Buy and Sell prices would be invisible, but the system would come up with an average price of what that item typical sells for to give you an idea of what to buy or sell certain items for. The earlier offer is always given first priority when buying/selling.

I think it would be good for people looking to level up professions or buy a certain collectible, but it would also be bad, because it would be another tool for gold farmers.

I have a feeling it's going to come down to this, people on good ecnomical servers will vote no, and people on bad economical servers will vote yes.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-04-25 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    I don't want to see things like "it would be really hard to make" or "the technological complications would be too great". I want people to reply to this and say why this would be good or bad for the economy of the World of Warcraft.
    "Feasible" is the wrong wording for your poll then if this is what you mean, because using the word feasible suggests that you're asking if it's possible, not whether it would be desirable.

I would love it to happen. That is what a real market is. Currently the ones we deal in are too small and cannot have Economical Models applied to them. I really can't see bad things happening. The devide between people who have millions of gold between those who get by on a few thousand would become trivial. That and BoEs from raids and world drops would become easier to attain and as a result would make raiding slightly simpler to get into
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.

Would love it. Cheap everything.

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    "Feasible" is the wrong wording for your poll then if this is what you mean, because using the word feasible suggests that you're asking if it's possible, not whether it would be desirable.
    Economically feasible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd assume that it'd be bad for all of the reasons AutomaticBadger named. There would be no profit to be made with everyone from everywhere contributing to the AH. Doing anything but farming dailies for gold would be the only decent way to earn any. I think that's a pretty terrible way to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone will undercut each other.............

10+ Year Old Account
    Try imagining the nightmare of trying to actually sell something without a hundred people undercutting you two seconds after you posted it. You can't do it, but try, anyway. Worst idea I've heard in a long, long time.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    I'd assume that it'd be bad for all of the reasons AutomaticBadger named. There would be no profit to be made with everyone from everywhere contributing to the AH. Doing anything but farming dailies for gold would be the only decent way to earn any. I think that's a pretty terrible way to go.
    Woah there. I think it is a good idea. People will still do it since it will still be another way to make money and to be honest there will always be people out there who feel the need to farm. I used to do it when i was starting out as it made better gold than I could from quests and it gave me something else to do other than leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    Wrong. You are assuming that there would be a higher supply rate then buy rate, which would be terribly false. I have wanted to level up professions on alts, but can't do it as quickly as I would like to, because I have to farm the mats myself, because no one sells what I need. Also rares would be just as rare, and you would not have any difficulty selling them for a nice price.

What he is suggesting is exactly how the Runescape economy works, and it's incredibly stable. There is also a lot of money to be made via flipping.

See Runescape Grand Exchange:

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Grand_Exchange
    Last edited by muto; 2012-04-25 at 09:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    Everyone will undercut each other.............
    Wich is a good thing. No overpriced enchants, gems or anything like that. The game would prolly need more gold sinks tho, since everyone will have more money.

It would've been ok at the beginning, but right now, with so many servers each with a different economy, it'd just make prices go to hell and open the way to unfair competition. Richer servers would dominate the AH, while poorer ones would have a hard time with it. The idea is good, but it's really hard to apply in practice.

It would save those servers with low populations as the supply available would grow exponentially.

Also there will always be a supply of anything you will want. Think of it. The moment a niche market develops it will become flooded normalizing the prices in the market. Like I have also said before: people will always farm. so the supply will always be there and if anything there may be even more reason to become a farmer since by doing so you can have a very very market to provide to. even if profits are very low.

Deleted
    it will make the gold usesless, like D2 all you neede gold for was repairs. nothing else

Deleted
    It would be possible IF Blizzard (read: analysis of buyers and sellers and amount of the items) controlled the AH economy.

For example, the Grand Exchange from Runescape is a very nice feature.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be a terrible mess.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWishMaster View Post
    it will make the gold usesless, like D2 all you neede gold for was repairs. nothing else
    Is that really even bad? Why does ones prowess over the market mean they are a better player. I might be shit at basketball but I can argue well. Does that now mean I will make a better chef?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWishMaster View Post
    That bitch Wendy gets expensive to rez...