[10Man] Heroic Madness : Blistering Tentacles advice.

Hello Warlock forums o_O!

I was wondering if I could get some advice for Blistering Tentacles. What's the optimal way to deal damage to them (Affliction)?

This is a picture of the log :

The damage breakdown is 100% Shadow Bolt. Is this the only way to deal damage to them effectively? In my eyes 113k is far to low for Blistering Tentacles. The warlock in question is being beaten in damage by a Feral Tank and Protection Paladin as well. This problem has also arose with Elementium Bolts, where the warlock's damage is low.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Defines.
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer
    Honestly US 2nd / Ally World 1st

SB spam is wrong for sure, Corr them. I think Fel Flame to finish off is best once you have a dot on each of them unless you are sure you will get your SB off, or have a nightfall proc. Drain Life could be decent aswell, but you are unlikely to have SE etc stacked so...can try it but could go either way. Cant say for sure that its the best way but thats what I do, and try to pick those you think will live longest to put dots on too. On our WoL I am second to last too though, but with 530k damage.
    Last edited by noaim; 2012-05-04 at 06:28 AM.

Deleted
    As a warlock? Ignore them... There's just no logical way for a warlock to do adequate damage to them given the amount of time they are generally alive. You would do a lot better just allowing him to stay on the Arm

10+ Year Old Account
    As Zeezus said, if you're allowed to ignore them, do it. If you're not, make the argument that you should be able to. If you still can't ignore them...you dot what you can. starting with corruption for instant SB procs.

People also develop habits real quick in terms of which ones they want to kill first. If you can notice this, target the ones that get attacked last :x

Corr+UA on the ones with high health or are not in immediate melee range, use SB on ones that still have a lot of health after dots. Felhunter is also good for killing them quickly so make sure to stick him on a target with dots + high health. Aff is bad for this but you really should never ignore them because they kill healers' mana, so the faster they die the better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gracfuldeath View Post
    As Zeezus said, if you're allowed to ignore them, do it. If you're not, make the argument that you should be able to. If you still can't ignore them...you dot what you can. starting with corruption for instant SB procs.

People also develop habits real quick in terms of which ones they want to kill first. If you can notice this, target the ones that get attacked last :x
    Argueing that will most likely make the warlock seem like a meter-horny cunt. Those tentacles need to die, and fast. If I were him I'd pick one and start spamming shadowbolt. Probably tab around.

We have a demo warlock and a destro warlock, but on the buttom by a margin (I'm the destro one).
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8935&e=9802

As warlocks are now, we basically have a huge ramp-up time regardless of our spec. Imo if a mob isn't alive for more than 50 seconds, we just aren't viable damage dealers.

For us the damage done looks like this:
    Arms warrior 1416156
    Ret paladin 1225313
    Blood DK 702983
    Fire Mage 665754
    Combat Rogue 544056
    Destro Warlock 311948 (+51563 pet)
    Demo Warlock 256604 (+42822 pet)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    Argueing that will most likely make the warlock seem like a meter-horny cunt. Those tentacles need to die, and fast. If I were him I'd pick one and start spamming shadowbolt. Probably tab around.
    It's actually very composition dependent and can be very beneficial. If your raid has a problem pushing dps for cata or the final enrage timers, and you have extremely bursty and fast target changing range, it can be more beneficial for the group to allow the lock to throw out a couple dots, but then continue single target on the wing/arm. Based on some of the comps we've had, even if I start with the one touched last, I'll still get maybe 1, sometimes 2 shadowbolts out, and halfway throw a next one before it dies (after dotting some), but by then I'll have to restart my rampup on the arm (lost SE stacks, dots fell off, etc) all over again.

It comes down to an individual raid comp decision, but if your raid cares about progression, they won't consider it as a meter horny cunt, as you put it. Unless you don't tell them why it might be more beneficial and just say I like dps. If you want to be meter horny, technically being able to have full dots on each tentacle + the arm/wing would be meter padding and you would ask everyone to wait until you did that before killing them.

As others have stated, the best strategy I have found is to tab through and put up corruption on as many as you can, but don't let SE fall off the arm/wing. Your main damage from doing this comes from Spellweave procs not the actual damage from the DoT. If your group completely lacks burst damage to deal with them, consider throwing up Bane of Agony or UA as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitriol View Post
    As others have stated, the best strategy I have found is to tab through and put up corruption on as many as you can, but don't let SE fall off the arm/wing. Your main damage from doing this comes from Spellweave procs not the actual damage from the DoT. If your group completely lacks burst damage to deal with them, consider throwing up Bane of Agony or UA as well.
    I dont think I have seen them take spellweave damage from anyone in any of our logs, are you sure it can proc on them? I used to BoA all of them for that reason, since it ticks more often than the other dots, but after checking some logs and seeing them take 0 spellweave damage, I changed to corr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering how they're immune to aoe damage, I highly doubt spellweave will damage the tentacles. Now, the damage on the tentacles proccing spellweave that then hits the arm/wing, that might happen.

As said above:

Use Corruption on all tentacles prioritizing the ones away from melee.
    Use your Nightfall procs on the tentacles (there should be numerous procs).

Not only will the spellweave proc onto the main tentacle from the blisterings, but you will get siphon life healing and eradication procs both of which are very beneficial. If DPS seems slow I might UA a few higher health tentacles then move back onto the arm/wing tentacle.

I just checked my latest log and the blistering tentacles do not appear to take spellweave damage which surprised me.

I just checked my latest log and the blistering tentacles do not appear to take spellweave damage which surprised me.
    They don't take spellweave damage because spellweave is an aoe. The tootip says something about hits everything with x yards of the target. Since blistering tentacles are immune to aoe it would of course do nothing.

With how low their hp is now with the 20% nerf, just toss corruption up and move along, all your going to try to do is bring them range for your arcane mage to "one" shot them. Just bottom line is shadowbolt is too long a cast for too little damage to be worth using on the tenticals, toss corruption will get a lot of damage out and keep eradication up. Its just there's simply not much to do to them as afflcition because ramp up time is so long, if your raid is really having problems with them and they are taking a long time to kill then corruption+ua.
    Last edited by felcommander; 2012-05-08 at 02:09 PM.

fel flame on ones that are low

Quote Originally Posted by lockattack View Post
    fel flame on ones that are low
    Not worth the global. Better just to DoT (corruption) and then switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Inactivity View Post
    Not worth the global. Better just to DoT (corruption) and then switch.
    i just think the worst is when one is lingering at 5% health for a while. not sure how the mechanic works but i figured the longer they are up the higher the debuff gets?

also, this way the raid sees that you are switching even tho our damage is lower than the tanks, we are still switching so they cant complain.

i actually find one to kill solo before using fel flame tho. immolate, hand of guldan, soulburn: soulfire, and then fel flame should drop one on your own.
    Last edited by lockattack; 2012-05-08 at 04:01 PM.

Hunter 822222 8.2 %
    SP 778295 7.8 %
    PallyProt 726673 7.3 %
    Kitty 715307 7.1 %
    Fire 715051 7.1 %
    Ele 659072 6.6 %
    Destro 564964 5.6 %
    Lockpet 62771 0.6 %
    Hunterpet 24185 0.2 %

Lock pulling respectable numbers. Might be last but we're talking no more 100k dif between him and the other casters. Hunter just pools and preps an LnL.

---------- Post added 2012-05-08 at 11:16 AM ----------

I think most of your dps is suffering tbh no one is really putting up decent numbers on Blists. Also why 2 tanks?