Wink Would like some assistance with my computer build.

I am looking to build, or have built, a new computer. I am currently just using a laptop to do all my gaming and work and I'm no longer able to run games at close to max or max settings.

As per the guidelines, heres the following information thats requested.

Budget - Im hoping to stay under $3000 but am willing to go over if theres reason to.
    Resolution - 1080p of course.
    Settings Desired/Games - All currrently good games, such as WoW, CoD, BF3, etc. and soon to be Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, etc. I would like to play at max settings, with the desire to maintain those settings for atleast a couple years (I fully expect to upgrade parts after a couple years).
    Other software- My work and school life requires constant use of AutoCAD and other such programs. 3D modeling aswell.
    Country - Canada
    Reusable part - I have recently purchased a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD drive for my laptop that I will be able to use in the new desktop (I will put the old HDD back into laptop). I also purchased a Cosmos II case to be used for this build.
    Peripherals - I have a Logitech G15 keyboard and a G9 Mouse. Also a 24" samsung LED monitor and BOSE companion 20 speakers. Any recommendations for replacements would be considered and appreciated.

As for parts.... well, I like the builds that are in "Marest's Sample Builds" post, ideally the "extreme gaming 3300" but I dont believe I would need some of the parts suggested. I made some slight changes and any reccomendations as to reducing or upgrading certain parts are greatly appreciated.

Base was used from the "extreme gaming 3300" but I am unsure of some changes. They are as follows....

MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth X79
    CPU: Intel i7 3930k
    RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2x4GB (x2) * I like these but am unsure if there is a better choice*
    GPU1: *Dont know wether to go with a 7970 or a 680*
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB *Already own*
    HDD: *Would like a suggestion for this, I will be storing lots of movies, etc on this so space is a must*
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 860W
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
    Case: *Just purchased a Cosmos II case, so I will be using that*

*I would have posted links but it is not allowing me to*

Any help would be greatly appreciated as even after the countless reviews I have read, forums posts scanned, etc. I am still unsure of the best parts to get in some cases.

*P.S. Its gotten late and I work in the morning so ill read and reply to anyones posts in the morning Thanks in advance for everyones help.*
    Last edited by Lilslayer62; 2012-04-26 at 02:03 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    HOLY F ask and ye shall receive.

Just told Cyanotical earlier we need more people with his kind of setups (yours is very similar to his) and holy hell, then I come across this post! My voice was heard!

In terms of RAM, Mushkin makes some great RAM and Enhanced Blackline is great quality. Try to get some fairly high frequency RAM, too, considering your CPU will take advantage of it.

In terms of GPU, really either GPU would be fine, but I'm inclined to suggest the 680 because in non-game oriented type testing, it did better than the 7970.

In terms of HDD, perhaps get a few 1TBs. Maybe a couple 7200RPMs in RAID0 for your AutoCAD work and then one honking big 2-3TB 5900RPM drive for pictures, video, and the like.

I cannot wait to see it.

Please buy and build nao.

And if you care a lot about aesthetics, I get the feeling you do, maybe look into Bitfenix Alchemy braided cable extensions. ^_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    HOLY F ask and ye shall receive.

Just told Cyanotical earlier we need more people with his kind of setups (yours is very similar to his) and holy hell, then I come across this post! My voice was heard!

In terms of RAM, Mushkin makes some great RAM and Enhanced Blackline is great quality. Try to get some fairly high frequency RAM, too, considering your CPU will take advantage of it.

In terms of GPU, really either GPU would be fine, but I'm inclined to suggest the 680 because in non-game oriented type testing, it did better than the 7970.

In terms of HDD, perhaps get a few 1TBs. Maybe a couple 7200RPMs in RAID0 for your AutoCAD work and then one honking big 2-3TB 5900RPM drive for pictures, video, and the like.

I cannot wait to see it.

Please buy and build nao.

And if you care a lot about aesthetics, I get the feeling you do, maybe look into Bitfenix Alchemy braided cable extensions. ^_<

Thanks for the reply,

Ill probably go with that RAM, but is it worth it to get 32GB instead of 16GB? I dont believe that anything ill do would fully utilize the 16GB, but i could be wrong. As for the GPU, I have always liked NVIDIA graphics cards, only problem is availability atm.

For the HDD, is there any specific ones that youd reccomend? Is it worth it to get the, say, WD caviar black? or would green be fine? or go with the samsung spinpoint that was also listed in the build post?

*P.S. Its gotten late and I work in the morning so ill read and reply to anyones posts in the morning Thanks in advance for everyones help.*
    Last edited by Lilslayer62; 2012-04-26 at 02:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure thing man, I love helping people figure out builds!

If you got the dough, go ahead and get 32GB, however I'd say get at least 1866MHz RAM if not higher frequency, I know Cyanotical is running 2133MHz, but that gets pretty expensive.

Depending on how soon you need the rig completed, you could just go for the 7970, it and the 680 are almost the same exact card in just about everything, anyways.

For slower more data-based HDDs (i.e. already compressed videos, pictures, documents) I'd say any 5900RPM HDD is really fine, WD Caviar Green is good, same with whatever the Seagate and Samsung 'green' HDDs are named. For your HDDs that you need that extra throughput from for work and what-not, I'd suggest WD Caviar Blue or Samsung Spinpoint F3, some people buy Caviar Blacks but I really don't see the point as much.
    "A flower.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You do know the 1tb raptors are out now...

SSD on the boot/apps
    1TB raptor for the games
    WD green or blues for the compressed data

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ApocolypticTampon View Post
    You do know the 1tb raptors are out now...

SSD on the boot/apps
    1TB raptor for the games
    WD green or blues for the compressed data
    He has a 256GB Crucial m4, it cackles at the Raptors.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Sure thing man, I love helping people figure out builds!

If you got the dough, go ahead and get 32GB, however I'd say get at least 1866MHz RAM if not higher frequency, I know Cyanotical is running 2133MHz, but that gets pretty expensive.

Depending on how soon you need the rig completed, you could just go for the 7970, it and the 680 are almost the same exact card in just about everything, anyways.

For slower more data-based HDDs (i.e. already compressed videos, pictures, documents) I'd say any 5900RPM HDD is really fine, WD Caviar Green is good, same with whatever the Seagate and Samsung 'green' HDDs are named. For your HDDs that you need that extra throughput from for work and what-not, I'd suggest WD Caviar Blue or Samsung Spinpoint F3, some people buy Caviar Blacks but I really don't see the point as much.
    I would love to get some higher frequency RAM but I believe the saber tooth only supports up to 1866, so I'd have to upgrade the MoBo to get any higher.

I'm going to a couple computer shops tonight to get some pricing, so I'll hopefully be able to decide on a build today or tomorrow. Thanks for the help, I'll send ya pics of the final product if you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Post them in the Post Your Gaming Setup! thread! I'm not the only one who will want to see pictures! :P

While the Saber Tooth may only say up to 1866, I highly doubt it can't do higher stable, SB-E is all about 2000+ RAM. ;p
    "A flower.