Nerdy people make the world a better place.

So, I assume a few people here have heard about the very ambitious asteroid mining company set up by james cameron and the google leads: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17827347

If we go back and take a look, almost all nerds have made cool, innovative rich people. Bill gates has given so much to charity, Steve jobs invested heaps in R&D and can pretty much be considered the father of smartphones as we know them, The google guys testing driverless cars, augmented reality glasses and now making plans to mine asteroids. Let us not forget people like Julian Assange who tried so hard to bring the truth of our politicians to us.The one thing common between all of them is that they are/were all kinda nerdy!

Compare this to other rich people (the murdoc's and buffets etc), all they seem to care about is making more money, they never take risks, never think of trying to venture into the unknown or think out of the box and are generally hated and despised.

Love him or hate him, I have never seen such public reaction to a rich person's death as when Steve Jobs passed away, many many people mourned his passing. It just seems that no matter what anyone says, nerdy people are cool and a lot more likely to go on to do great things than the average corporate head.

Now, I admit I am a nerd and perhaps that makes me biased but I say Kudos to these people and to nerds all around.
    We may have our peculiarities, we may only ever drink earl gray tea because Picard does it, we may love the lightsabers and the virtual worlds of warcrafts and know more about where things are in the galaxy than where the trendy nightclubs are, but we make the world better in our own small little ways and when given the chance, we go on to change the world.

I think you're stretching it when you compare James Cameron, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs to the average nerd at the comic book store. Sure, they all have "nerdy" qualities, but everyone does. "Interesting/Genius" people make the world a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I think you're stretching it when you compare James Cameron, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs to the average nerd at the comic book store. Sure, they all have "nerdy" qualities, but everyone does. "Interesting/Genius" people make the world a better place.
    "Everyone" has nerdy qualities is the only stretch here. While I agree about genius bit, please list the nerdy qualities of rupert murdoch for example.

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    "Everyone" has nerdy qualities is the only stretch here. While I agree about genius bit, please list the nerdy qualities of rupert murdoch for example.
    It's hard to find trivia facts on a man who is riddled in controversy and hatred.

And if nerdy people make the world a better place and you believe that statement isn't a stretch, then how do you make the world a better place? You can't say "we" as a generalization if they're mostly not true, when most nerdy people don't do anything to make the world a better place. If I find a few funny Chinese actors, is it right for me to say "Chinese people make the world a funnier place"? Because that's what you're doing.

We push forward technology by striving to do the impossible.
    Therefore by aiming for something which may or not be, we will benefit by some means through an improved or new technology along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    I like how every other rich nerdy person becomes a Philanthropist.

It is much harder to love our species, than to hate it.

It takes a level of self awareness and responsibility.
    Steve Jobs was a great philanthropist, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Roveredo View Post
    Steve Jobs was a great philanthropist, right?
    He was surely loved and respected more than any other rich man i know. Stay Hungry, Stay Focussed !!

Nerdy people make the world a better place.
    People who make the world a better place are often nerdy.

Maybe that will help things stay on point.
    Ever squish your face on a window?
    It looks funny. Ever got it stuck?

15+ Year Old Account
    it is not the only stretch, it is what it is. Associating "nerdy" with "geeky" is not the correct way to look at it. Anyone with a passion or enthusiasm for some particular thing can be considered nerdy. For example, I am a car enthusiast... therefore I am a car nerd. <3

rupert murdoch is not a nerd. He's a conglomerate... who what I would call a business whore. There is a difference, one does it for the love and the other does it for the money.
    Last edited by Paladin885; 2012-04-26 at 04:28 AM.

Well I will say this, nerdy girls are hot and that definitely makes the world a better place.

If we go back and take a look, almost all nerds have made cool, innovative rich people.
    I really think you meant to say this sentence the other way around.

He was surely loved and respected more than any other rich man i know. Stay Hungry, Stay Focussed !!
    He was really a selfish person. Anyway i think a person character and mental fortitude not their nerdyness is what makes them great and world changing, you can be average intelligence a but still change the world.
    Last edited by TheBeardedOne; 2012-04-26 at 05:30 AM.