[Movies] Ender's Game Movie: Finally!

Anyone else excited about this?

After rereading the book, I was curious and found on IMDB that Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" will finally be a movie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

This was my first introduction into sci fi as a 5th grader, and still, I read the book every few years. One of the most epic tales of alien invasions, space action, intergalactic travel, and personal growth, triumph, reflection, and regret.

I was happy to see Harrison Ford as one of the instructors, and that the Director (Gavin Hood of Stargate SG1) will be involved!

I literally just squealed like a little girl in my room and scared the crap out of my roommate. I don't know if I can wait until November 2013 for this movie

That was about my same reaction. On a sad note, I also found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender's_Game:_Battle_Room

They had started development of a Battle Room Ender's Game Online video game using the Unreal Engine, but scrapped it

This isn't really news, but glad you found out if you didn't know!

There's already been a couple of production photos published online. One of the "actor chair" (don't know what their proper name is, but the tall fold up chairs you always see actors sitting in) and another one of Ender's bedroom

i also CAN'T WAIT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, I thought this was going to be "Finally! The movie was squashed!" but I am wrong.

Kidding really, but I am not all that excited for the movie. Orson Scott Card fought for years to keep a movie from being made because he felt it could never do the book justice. Hopefuly this means they have finally reached a point where he feels the movie making tech is up to it and there is a script that is true to the book, but we will see. The fact that they have already upped the ages of all the kids is not a good start though. At least this might make more people aware of the books like the LOTR movies did.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the series have read all of ender, bean and peter saga, but don't have high hopes for the movie. Best part of the books was reading the internal thoughts and narration of these kids, along with the politics and war strategy stuff. Doesn't seem like it would translate well to a movie, stuff like the 3d battle room and the "computer game" he plays near the end to fight the buggers seems a little boring visually. Plus, I really hate child actors lol.

Oh man, that's awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Update. Card visits the set of Ender's Game: http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/Art...ders-Game.html

He talks alot about The Avengers at first and then gets into his set visit of Ender's Game about half way down. Let me just say that this did not dissipate my trepidations about the film at all. One of the first things Card says, about a scene he watched being filmed, is:
    The scene does not come from the book – very few of the scenes in this movie do – so it was amusing when others asked me how it felt to have my book brought to life. My book was already alive in the mind of every reader. This is writer-director Gavin Hood's movie, so they were his words, and it was his scene.
    So... yeah. He does mention that the acting of Ford and Butterfield is great and spends some time talking about how they are bringing the Battle Room to life, but again is quick to point out that:
    Again, they were not building anything from the book, so I wasn't seeing my ideas brought to life. Their job was to build the scenery dreamed up by Gavin Hood for his story
    It sounds like the film will be a very different take on the Ender's Game story that us fans have been picturing in our heads for the past 28 years.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...roduction-blog!

Have you seen the production blog? It's awesome!!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Trailer for this is out on May 7th! Can't wait!
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Trailer for this is out on May 7th! Can't wait!
    Yay! A early birthday present! Hope it lives up to the book.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Trailer is here:
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    I see them turning it into a generic action sci fi franchise. I doubt they even go into the Xenocide as a negative thing aspect of the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I see them turning it into a generic action sci fi franchise. I doubt they even go into the Xenocide as a negative thing aspect of the story.
    Xenocide, honestly, wouldn't be a good movie for most movie goers. I would like it, but I cannot believe it would be good for mainstream consumers. It was a very slow book.

The others, about Bean, Alai, Petra, etc, would likely make good movies however.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Xenocide, honestly, wouldn't be a good movie for most movie goers. I would like it, but I cannot believe it would be good for mainstream consumers. It was a very slow book.

The others, about Bean, Alai, Petra, etc, would likely make good movies however.
    That's what I mean, everything after EG and even some of the major themes in it aren't really Hollywood material, from a financial standpoint I mean. I remember a thread a few months back talking about how sci fi beyond space marines and alien invasions (don't get me wrong I enjoy that stuff as too when it is done well) is kind of dead. Remember stuff like Contact? Like that, stuff that made you think a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    That's what I mean, everything after EG and even some of the major themes in it aren't really Hollywood material, from a financial standpoint I mean. I remember a thread a few months back talking about how sci fi beyond space marines and alien invasions (don't get me wrong I enjoy that stuff as too when it is done well) is kind of dead. Remember stuff like Contact? Like that, stuff that made you think a little.
    Yes, I remember Contact, and I rather enjoyed it. That is one of the reasons I would say that I would enjoy something like Xenocide being made into a movie, or any book that is slow (meaning lack of action) as long as the story is compelling.

I am sure that they will gloss over a lot of what happens to Ender in the movie. I think, if it is included, the Giant's Drink game will be butchered really badly. And why go to the End of the World? It is mostly just internal stuff that likely won't make the cut to final production. Also, the stuff about Locke and Demosthenes are likely to be watered down quite a bit, mostly due to time constraints and lack of action. /sigh I wish people had the budgets to make these movies the way they should be rather than based off of whether or not John Q. Public is going to watch them en masse enough to make it insanely profitable.