Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    There will always be immature sore losers. Pay no attention and the vocal minority will go silent.
    Doesn't even have to be the losers. When Finland won the WC in Hockey some idiots went over the border to sweden to cause trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    They managed to get the guy in the UK who was tweeting hatred about Muamba, and in my mind, rightfully so.
    If people think they can post and rant about hate freely without consequence, then I feel they should be stopped pretty sharpish. Wouldn't be too hard for any half-decent law enforcement agency to get their information and buttfuck them in return.
    First, in no way do I condone racism/bigotry/overall ignorance when it comes to ethnicity/sexuality/religion. The tweets that were made were absolutely out of line and are completely void of any intelligence.
    Now, having said that, isn't part of living in a free country having the ability to freely hate, freely rant and freely think however one wants? Saying things like those said on the tweets aren't going to win you many friends and could(should) get you an ass beating on the street. BUT, that is the choice of those who think those things and decide to publicly state them. When you call for state intervention in the thoughts and words of the populace then, in my opinion, are giving way too much power to the state while also stepping all over the tenants of free speech. It's a slippery slope that I really don't think our country needs to be sliding down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    So last night, the Washington Capitals beat the Boston Bruins in overtime to win game 7 and advance to the next round.

The person who scored the goal is Joel Ward. For those of you who don't know, Joel is African American. After he scored the final goal, tons of racism and hate began to pour out into the online world (mostly twitter).

Here is an article about this:

http://capitalsoutsider.com/2012/04/...ted-by-racism/ (WARNING: CONTAINS QUOTES THAT ARE VERY VERY VULGAR AND RACIST)

Do you think these people should be charged for hate crimes? This is in no way a representation of hockey fans, and is completely uncalled for. I personally feel each of these people should be arrested one by one.

How do you feel about this?

One would assume racism at its worst would be the Holocaust.

Not some random morons calling a black guy a Nigger.

Also, no I don't believe they should be charged with Hate crimes. Because as bad as some people think it is, they are only Words, and freedom of speech is a pretty big thing.

To be honest, racist words don't bother me, no matter who says them and to whom.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Deleted
    People refuse, or actually cant, grow up. Its kinda pathetic. All the "cool" things, like 4chan, joke about cancer, rape etc, thats the "cool" things, isnt it? Jisses.

It is a crime in the UK, and people are punished accordingly for it. Just because the USA doesn't view it as one, doesn't mean every other nation should follow suit.
    They shouldn't follow suit just because the U.S. does it. They should follow suit because freedom of speech is a basic human right.

Deleted
    But they have. Racially slandering in public or encouraging others to do so *is* a hate crime. People need to learn the intepretation of it a bit better.
    Hate crime means you commit a crime with a racist motive. Slandering someone in public through racist remarks is not a hate crime beacause slandering someone in public isn't a crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    They shouldn't follow suit just because the U.S. does it. They should follow suit because freedom of speech is a basic human right.
    This is not freedom of speech.. this is not saying "I dont like black people" .. this is an attack on a human being directly.

I'm confused.. racism at its best or worst?

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Hate crime means you commit a crime with a racist motive. Slandering someone in public through racist remarks is not a hate crime beacause slandering someone in public isn't a crime.
    That's only true to a certain extent, such as in the case in question. Public figures are actually exempt from slander laws, but if you go stand outside someone's house and scream racial slurs about them, it is a crime.

The limitations of Freedom of Speech are a fundamental cultural difference between the UK and the USA (as was discussed ad nauseum in the Muamba thread), do we really want to be opening that can of worms again?

This is not freedom of speech.. this is not saying "I dont like black people" .. this is an attack on a human being directly.
    Yes, it is freedom of speech. The reason we have freedom of speech is to protect unpopular opinions. The popular ones don't need protecting.

---------- Post added 2012-04-26 at 01:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    The limitations of Freedom of Speech are a fundamental cultural difference between the UK and the USA (as was discussed ad nauseum in the Muamba thread), do we really want to be opening that can of worms over it?
    And a culture that limits freedom of speech is violating it's citizens basic human rights. Period.

Deleted
    That's only true to a certain extent, such as in the case in question. Public figures are actually exempt from slander laws, but if you go stand outside someone's house and scream racial slurs about them, it is a crime.
    What crime is that then? Is it a crime if you stand outside their house and just shout offensive non-racist slurs about them?

Yes, it is freedom of speech. The reason we have freedom of speech is to protect unpopular opinions. The popular ones don't need protecting.

And a culture that limits freedom of speech is violating it's citizens basic human rights. Period.
    In your country's opinion. I don't really want to get into it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    What crime is that then? Is it a crime if you stand outside their house and just shout offensive non-racist slurs about them?
    Harassment, intimidation, possibly stalking.

I am pretty sure if someone came on my lawn, spouting words even if it was incoherent. He could be spouting I LOVE FUCKING PUBLIX SUBS, THEY ARE DELICIOUS, if i ask them to leave and they continue to yell at my house about all the food they love? Call the cops i am sure they will take him away.

Edit: Saw your above post, exactly, it's a tack on to those crimes of harassment, intimidation, stalking. The actual words are not the crime.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joakim View Post
    People refuse, or actually cant, grow up. Its kinda pathetic. All the "cool" things, like 4chan, joke about cancer, rape etc, thats the "cool" things, isnt it? Jisses.
    But by having them have that site, you're preventing them from spreading all over the internet. It's like RP servers Goldshire, by having it there most ERP players are there. So you can easily avoid them. If 4chan disappeared and nobody made a new site, where do you think all those people would go? All over the place, it would be hell! So it's good to gather them around then nuke them... I mean ignore them.

10+ Year Old Account

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech

You need to understand what freedom of speech is and what hate speech is.. this is a hate crime sir, no question about it... and in a lot of places, is punishable by jail time.

Deleted
    Harassment, intimidation, possibly stalking.
    Well yeah sure. The point was to show that a certain act needs to be criminal in the first place, and then motivated by racism for it to become a hate crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    In your country's opinion. I don't really want to get into it again.
    No, not in my country's opinion. It's in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which the UK is supposed to actively support.

---------- Post added 2012-04-26 at 01:09 PM ----------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech

You need to understand what freedom of speech is and what hate speech is.. this is a hate crime sir, no question about it... and in a lot of places, is punishable by jail time.
    And it shouldn't be, because that is a violation of human rights.

That's a USA interpretation afaik, a hate crime is classified in the UK is somewhat different and far broader, and includes racial slandering from what I am aware. We also have the "Incitement to racial hatred" law, which many people are charged under when they spout such rhetoric.

Basically it comes down to a simple thing, Freedom of Speech is all well and nice, but people seem to have this impression it means you can act like a total prick and insult others without recourse, which is something I don't agree with. Racism is one of those completely pointless things, from my understanding it comes from fear, and lack of understanding, but people seem to treat it as something thats ok, and then try to use some random statements about Freedom of Speech to justify it.
    Yes, that's EXACTLY what freedom of speech is: The right to insult others and be a total prick. Popular, friendly opinions DONT NEED PROTECTING. The whole damn point of freedom of speech is to protect the shit people DON'T want to hear.