Deleted

GW2 command lines and selecting servers based on ping & latency

Here are some command lines for BWE client and instructions how to get you started.
    1. Right click on your GW2.exe and click create shortcut.
    2. Right click on your GW2 shortcut and select 'Properties'.
    3. In the 'Target Area' field you will see the location of your Guild Wars executable file: "<...>\Gw2.exe"
    4. Write the desired command line arguments after the quote marks, each beginning with a space: "<...>\Gw2.exe" -windowed -nosound

List of command lines and what they seem to do:
    --------------------
    --------------------

-autologin
    Automatically presses the log in button upon launch.

-email X (where x is your username)
    Sets the username. Good to create multiple shortcuts for multiple accounts. Otherwise obsolete.

-nopatchui
    Launches the game straight away instead of opening patcher first.

-password X (where x is your password)
    Enters password. Good to create multiple shortcuts for multiple accounts. Otherwise obsolete and a danger of password theft.

--------------------
    Visual
    --------------------

-bmp
    Sets your screenshots to bitmap format for better quality.

-fps X (where x is a value)
    Limits your framerate to a desired value. Good for keeping FPS stable by keeping the distance between your minimum and max framerate down. Also can be used to keep temps in check if not using vsync.

-noui
    Removes the user-interface. Works on login screen too. Same as Ctrl+Shift+H.

-windowed
    Opens the game in a window rather than fullscreen.

--------------------
    Audio
    --------------------

-nomusic
    Disables just music.

-nosound
    Disables ALL sound.

--------------------
    Troubleshoot
    --------------------

-diag
    Does a diagnostics check on your computer. It checks your network hardware, addresses, etc. It then does a traceroute to check your latency/ping, number of hops and packet loss to a number of ANET servers and then performs a direct X diagnostics.

Used to download ALL data for the game instead of the default bare essentials. Seems to use old patcher UI as well. Obsolete as of BWE as the patcher downloads everything anyway.

-repair
    Attempts to repair the gw2.dat file.

-useoldlauncher
    Reverts to old patcher UI.

--------------------

Ok, so, I ran the -diag and for some reason it did traceroutes to [206.127.158.1] and [64.25.39.1]. Both of them are in United States and I'm in Europe. Am I just too early or why it didn't trace EU servers?

As far as I know servers are actually located at the same place (one place in US and one in EU), so it shouldn't matter which one you choose, but it would still be nice to test stuff. (I have had ping problems in other games... in WoW I mean.)

This is part of diag, after that it did trace routes to those two adresses that I mentioned above:
    Quote Originally Posted by part of my -diag log
    ==============================================================================
    = Checking server connectivity
    ==============================================================================
    Section completed in 0.00 seconds

Diag.ArenaNetworks.com
    206.127.158.31:6112 - connect succeeded
    206.127.158.31:80 - connect succeeded
    64.25.39.21:6112 - connect succeeded
    64.25.39.21:80 - connect succeeded

Section completed in 0.19 seconds

AssetCDN.101.ArenaNetworks.com
    92.123.155.67:80 - connect succeeded
    92.123.155.59:80 - connect succeeded
    92.123.155.65:80 - connect succeeded
    92.123.155.73:80 - connect succeeded
    92.123.155.64:80 - connect succeeded
    92.123.155.9:80 - connect succeeded
    92.123.155.74:80 - connect succeeded
    92.123.155.10:80 - connect succeeded
    92.123.155.82:80 - connect succeeded

Section completed in 0.03 seconds

Auth1.101.ArenaNetworks.com
    64.25.38.54:6112 - connect succeeded

Section completed in 0.36 seconds

Auth2.101.ArenaNetworks.com
    206.127.159.77:6112 - connect succeeded

Section completed in 0.23 seconds

CliGate.101.NCPlatform.net
    64.25.40.31:6600 - connect succeeded
    64.25.40.45:6600 - connect succeeded
    64.25.40.37:6600 - connect failed
    64.25.40.23:6600 - connect failed

Section completed in 10.00 seconds

How do you tell what the name of the server is just by looking at the IP address?

Edit: nvm.. I just saw that you wrote that they are all in the same place in the US. haha
    Last edited by Kaosadvokit; 2012-04-26 at 03:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaosadvokit View Post
    How do you tell what the name of the server is just by looking at the IP address?
    You do not know it yet, but then you are logged in you can do:
    Code:
    netstat -n -p tcp -b | more
    and see the active connections and IP's.

Deleted
    Hmm, will probably use the autologin command since I already save my password.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    Am I just too early or why it didn't trace EU servers?
    The Frankfurt datacenter seems to be down at the moment.

Edit: Actually, both datacenters are down. My US trace stops at LA instead of hopping to Dallas.

Deleted
    Is there an traceroute for europe yet?

I got some serious latency problems in game. wana see if its the same outof game aswell to theri servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoCoffee View Post
    Is there an traceroute for europe yet?

I got some serious latency problems in game. wana see if its the same outof game aswell to theri servers.
    When you have the game running, tab out and open the windows command line tool

Type NETSTAT and hit enter, it will display all current internet connections. There will be a bunch you might recognise as your router or other PC's/Consoles on your network (if linked) but you should be able to find which one is connected to the game (close your browsers, exit out of steam and any other background program that might be connected to the net) by checking the IP addresses. If you can't spot it immediately, then put in the IP address into http://www.iplocation.net/ and find the one in Frankfurt.

Then you can do a tracert for that IP, or better still, install http://www.pingplotter.com/

Deleted
    I noticed too that my ping in GW is high - 160-300ms. While i have 50-80 ms in wow. They need to do something with it seriously.

Deleted
    My ping to the servers is fine 23 ms at max

Once I am ingame doing quests with a few people its about a 20 second delay before my character does skills etc.

Just did an World event with about 50 people all without lag. Once event was over went back to normal stuff and its a lag fest again. I srsly dont know whats happening

Deleted
    Sorry for the bump, but I came from Google, because I want to know my latency in guild wars 2.
    There is a quick way, use the Resource Monitor.

Go in game. Play.
    Press ALT + TAB
    Press WIN + R.

Enter resmon
    You can see the ressource monitor. Go to the network tab, you can see GW2.exe in TCP connections. At the right of it, you have "latency". It's your latency ;p You can get the ip from ure server too.