Thread: Chroma Hash

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Chroma Hash

This is only a really minor thing, but I wanted to ask.

Doesnt the Chroma Hash seem a little... useless, to you? It's a nice feature and all, but if I've mis-typed my password I'll know in a few seconds when the game tells me my login is incorrect.

It also seems to have generated a little storm about people panicking that others will be able to guess their passwords if theyre walking past and see the colours. It's a bit silly, but something that makes buyers worry about account security is never a good thing.

What are your views on it?

P.S. I hate the colours my password gave me D=

Deleted
    Don't care tbh. :P

It's a pretty useless feature just as you said, some might like some might not.

I haven't actually opened the game yet, what is this chroma hash sorcery you speak of?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    It also seems to have generated a little storm about people panicking that others will be able to guess their passwords if theyre walking past and see the colours.
    Let's say my colors are lime green, burnt orange, and blood red.

What's my password?

Figure it out? That's right, you can't. People need to stop panicking.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

It also seems to have generated a little storm about people panicking that others will be able to guess their passwords if theyre walking past and see the colours. It's a bit silly, but something that makes buyers worry about account security is never a good thing.
    Bbwhahaha. This is so stupid I literally laughed so hard I snorted.

with all the numbers and letters there are, the chance you can repreduce the colour code that u saw is ... close to none. wanne test it?

Find this password: Yellow - Purple - Gray.

Deleted
    I don't really understand what it is for. I can see no bad with it, nor good.

So what is it, really?

You generally get a limited number of login attempts before a server will lock you out. With the chroma hash, it's all client side so you can screw up as often as you'd like without the worry of being locked and then going through the process of a password reset.

Ok, maybe that's a little far fetched.

Truth be told, the chroma hash isn't for folks like you or me, people who are tech savvy and always remember their passwords (or only ever mess up once). It's for the folks who really are prone to messing up their passwords quite often. I work in tech support and one of my jobs is resetting passwords and unlocking accounts for people. You have absolutely no idea how many requests I get in a day (and many of them from the same individuals repeatedly).

The point is that the chroma hash is useful to some people, so why not just leave it be? I personally like it because it's an excellent indication that I typed my password correctly. We've all had those moments where we type a password, slip up and press two buttons at once, or press a button just lightly enough that it doesn't register as a key stroke, or maybe even the keyboard is going haywire (yes, I've had all three happen to me at some point or another).

Be that as it maybe, the little graphic is small and unintrusive enough that you don't need to pay attention to it.

If someone claims that your password can be guessed by looking at three colors, they clearly have no idea what they're talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptog..._hash_function

Quote Originally Posted by Phoef View Post
    with all the numbers and letters there are, the chance you can repreduce the colour code that u saw is ... close to none. wanne test it?

Find this password: Yellow - Purple - Gray.

Yellow - Purple - Grey

Password: = Password! (its not but meh it tickled me all the same.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Indeed, but people are people.

I found this link, which actually explains a little more, and puts forward a few good uses for it.

http://mattt.me/2009/11/chroma-hash-revisited/

Personally, like I've said, I dont see too much use for it, unless GW2 will lock you out if you mistype a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Youtube or it didn't happen.

As for the chroma-hash, it's interesting but nothing overly special. I do not forsee it having any impact on account security, unless they plan on releasing an additional layer that we have yet to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it because i use 5 passwords, and god forbid GW2 will lock you out if you guess the wrong one like 3 times like some things do, at least i'll know whether i have used the right one or not BEFORE i need to reset it...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    This is only a really minor thing, but I wanted to ask.

Doesnt the Chroma Hash seem a little... useless, to you? It's a nice feature and all, but if I've mis-typed my password I'll know in a few seconds when the game tells me my login is incorrect.

What are your views on it?

P.S. I hate the colours my password gave me D=
    It's different colours at different "stages" of typiing your password. It's different for each person. How could anyone possibly guess your password by seeing 3 random colors when they walked past as you pressed enter? They'd practically have to be your roommate, in which case it might not hurt so much if they actually knew it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, but people are people.

I found this link, which actually explains a little more, and puts forward a few good uses for it.

http://mattt.me/2009/11/chroma-hash-revisited/

Personally, like I've said, I dont see too much use for it, unless GW2 will lock you out if you mistype a few times.
    Good read, but I guess I'm just too tech-savvy for those uses to benefit me. Phishing scams are so obvious that I seriously do laugh about it, in their faces, when it happens to friends/family.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CHNurf View Post
    It's different colours at different "stages" of typiing your password. It's different for each person. How could anyone possibly guess your password by seeing 3 random colors when they walked past as you pressed enter? They'd practically have to be your roommate, in which case it might not hurt so much if they actually knew it.
    I'd like to point out, just to be clear, that I'm NOT one of those people. A swift google-search to find out exactly what a chroma hash was found me a legion of those types of people.

I'm in the boat of "Seems sorta useless to me"

Deleted
    OMG

hackers will go like... " is this the correct password? Well I don't know, because maybe the colors don't fit? "

What the chroma hash does is that it lets you know whether or not you've written the right password, without the game having to connect to the relevant server to verify. Saves time and data usage, so I'd say it's hardly useless.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

You don't even see it if you save your password.

I like the idea, beats using authenticators, and crap like that to make sure your account is safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    What the chroma hash does is that it lets you know whether or not you've written the right password
    If you can't remember your password, how could you possibly remember a sequence of 3 very specific colors?! :O

Note that the colors include multiple shades of color, not just basic green, basic red, basic blue, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessVirtues View Post
    I like the idea, beats using authenticators, and crap like that to make sure your account is safe.
    Hardly. If somebody knows your password, chroma hash will not stop them from logging in.