Deleted

[Movies] Horror movies discussion (reviews/recommendations etc)

Hi guys
    There seems to be a shitload of threads about specific movies but none to discuss the horror genre specifically
    So, here we go for all us horror geeks
    If you wanna review or recommend a horror movie, do so here
    Same if you've seen a horror movie that was shit. Come here and warn us

For anyone interested my top 10 horror movies

10 A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    9 The Exorcist (1973)
    8 The Thing (1982)
    7 Carrie (1976)
    6 Near Dark (1987)
    5 Saw (2004)
    4 Let the Right One In (2008)
    3 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
    2 Scream (1997)
    1 Halloween (1978)

And, my top 10 horror movie remakes

10 Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    9 The Last House on the Left (2009)
    8 The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
    7 Halloween (2007)
    6 My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009)
    5 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
    4 A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)
    3 Quarantine (2008)
    2 I Spit on Your Grave (2010)
    1 Let Me In (2010)

So, anyone else enjoy a good fright?

i just saw the remake of i spit on your grave, gotta agree with you on that one being well worth the time to watch.
    Last edited by Monoxyde; 2012-04-27 at 05:44 AM.

I hear The Cabin in the Woods that just came out is really good

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoxyde View Post
    i just saw the remake of i spit on your grave, i gotta agree with you on that one being well worth the time to watch.
    Defo. Sarah Butler is terrific in the lead, and she is very easy on the eye too and Steven R. Monroe did a good directing job.

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 06:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    I hear The Cabin in the Woods that just came out is really good
    It is. But its not an out and out 'horror' movie, imo.

Deleted
    Do not watch Small Town Folk, just don't. It's horrible.

I really like most of the psychological thriller/horror movies. All these zombies and monsters seem overused. Serial killer genre is pretty good, like Saw 1, the rest of the series were just brutality, not really plot.

i saw another traumatic film recently which i'll mention because i felt more emotional trauma from i spit on your grave than fear. please do NOT watch or read anything about this film unless you enjoy movies that make your skin crawl and leave you feeling uneasy. it's called 'a serbian film' the story is so vile and revolting i was tempted to turn it off, but the performances and the fact that it's not hard to believe some sick bastards would do this made it really powerful imo. i wouldn't watch it again but while i was watching it i couldnt look away.
    Last edited by Monoxyde; 2012-04-27 at 05:52 AM.

Deleted
    Yep, 'A Serbian Film' is beyond horrible and definitely not for the faint-hearted. Very hard to watch due to the nature of the story being told.
    It should have its own genre 'Fucked Up!'

it was one of those things i wanted to talk about, but it would obviously lead to the question 'what the fuck is wrong with you' so i've just kept quiet about it for the most part. as a piece of cinema i found it powerfully beautiful though. and yes, i know using beautiful to describe that movie is weird.

Deleted
    I watched 'Martyrs' (2008 French/Canadian nasty ass horror movie) a few days after 'A Serbian Film' and the latter made 'Martyrs' seem tame.
    And if you've seen 'Martyrs' that's no easy task.

i havent seen it, but i noted the name. next time i feel like making myself sick i'll check it out.

Deleted
    I just re-watched Haute Tension ('Switchblade Romance') 2003
    So fuckin good. It would sit proudly at no. 11 on my list of fave horror movies

Quote Originally Posted by slambulance76 View Post
    I watched 'Martyrs' (2008 French/Canadian nasty ass horror movie) a few days after 'A Serbian Film' and the latter made 'Martyrs' seem tame.
    agree 100%. I actually thought Martyrs was a beautiful film, though...in a fucked up way. Serbian Film on the other hand was just emotionally scarring.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sad that you didn't include the original Dawn of the Dead. Most meaningful zombie movie ever made.

After going over your list a couple times, would you say you prefer gore to suspense?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    After going over your list a couple times, would you say you prefer gore to suspense?
    Not at all. I just like originality and a well told story. Any gore/nudity is a bonus ;p

Deleted
    Any thoughts on the Carrie and Suspiria remakes?
    And the god awful Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D?

Any thoughts on the Carrie and Suspiria remakes?
    The only reason I'll see the Carrie remake is because of Chloe Moretz. She's super awesome. I don't expect it to be very good, though...and I've never seen the original Suspiria so...*shrugs*
    And the god awful Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D?
    best not to even think of that one. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I LOVE scary movies even though I tend to regret it come bedtime I haven't seen a good one in awhile (haven't seen Cabin in the Woods yet) but the trailer for The Possession was recently released (coming out end of August) and it looks soooooo good!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavol View Post
    I LOVE scary movies even though I tend to regret it come bedtime I haven't seen a good one in awhile (haven't seen Cabin in the Woods yet) but the trailer for The Possession was recently released (coming out end of August) and it looks soooooo good!

*Video SNIP*
    HOLY SHIT, that looks pretty epic. I haven't liked a possession movie since Emily Rose but that one looks even better!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavol View Post

Tere says "based on a true story" ..what a lie ..it can`t be true!!

Well, the difference is Martyrs actually has a focus on characters whereas A Serbian Film is about being as fucked up as possible.