Poll: Would you, will you, or have you changed a characters name to your real first name?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Give your Main your real first name?

A few months ago I submitted a ticket to Blizzard and got my own name, Simon, freed up so that I could create a character called Simon.

Originally, it was only going to be for my Monk for MoP, but on the spur of the moment one day I decided to pay the £6 to rename my main to Simon.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...simon/advanced

A few things that I thought about before doing it.
    - I was already on first name only terms for most of the people I play WoW with.
    - It removes the uniqueness of your name, my previous name was only used by one other person in the world.
    - Not many people get to use there own name, so it makes me feel unique in a different way.
    - You can only do it for one character, all my other characters still follow my old style of names, so people don't always recognise me.
    - I had changed my name before when I changed realm and I didn't see how it could cause any problems.

People might say it removes your anonymity, but anyone who wants to put effort into some basic google searching can probably find the real names of most people who use the same alias across multiple websites.

For anyone who is unsure of how to do it, simply create a ticket and explain that the name you want is taken and ask if it is possible for them to make the name available. (The account it is taken on needs to be inactive for this to happen)

My question is simple. Would you, will you, or have you changed a characters name to your real first name?

Nope, It doesn't seem very fitting in wow at all IMO. Plus i can imagine trolls using it against you.

10+ Year Old Account
    its not that im worried about anything.. i just prefer to roleplay something besides myself. WoW technically is still an RP game. even if you dont actively partake in any RPing in it. im not a human in game.. nor do i want to be.. i dont want to use my real name.. because i use that everyday. its kind of a break to be called Sinndra.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a first name, not gonna have stalkers after you unless you're named something weird, no I wouldn't do it... but hey your game, lots of npc's these days have normal non fantasy names too
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Deleted
    Thought about this since I really would prefer if people called me by my real name instead of by my char's name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    It's just a first name, not gonna have stalkers after you unless you're named something weird, no I wouldn't do it... but hey your game, lots of npc's these days have normal non fantasy names too
    if they added Knights who say Ni as a playable class.. i might use my real name.. love your avi.. btw
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I actually did the same thing you did a good while ago. So now my characters name is Mike. If someone can track me down by knowing that, then I will bow to their skills before the stab me in the shower.

There you go, Scrapbot. Is my Signature small enough now? Will you finally shut up, you automated pretentious &##(@)!?

Jeffry is just not a very good warlock name so no I wouldn't name change my main to my real name
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    No, I would not. Really dislike putting out that kind of information on the internet (real name, address etc. Mostly fine when it comes to country and county)
    It's close to impossible to track you down unless you gave more than your first name beforehand. People get paranoid to fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrosislol View Post
    Jeffry is just not a very good warlock name so no I wouldn't name change my main to my real name
    It is if you keep the lore in mind. Jeffry would be a stupid name for, say, an Orc or BE warlock. But, judging from your signature, your toon is Worgen. Worgens used to be human and have human names. Humans of all classes had a life prior to choosing their class. A human in Azeroth doesn't pop out of mommy's nether regions only for the parents to say "a little warlock! I think I'll name him Fyredemonz!" All of my human or ex-human (worgen/undead) toons have normal human names (admittedly it takes a while to find free ones sometimes).

My main does have my real first name even though it doesn't fit a goblin.

No, I have a very common first name, it wouldn't be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleri View Post
    It is if you keep the lore in mind. Jeffry would be a stupid name for, say, an Orc or BE warlock. But, judging from your signature, your toon is Worgen. Worgens used to be human and have human names. Humans of all classes had a life prior to choosing their class. A human in Azeroth doesn't pop out of mommy's nether regions only for the parents to say "a little warlock! I think I'll name him Fyredemonz!" All of my human or ex-human (worgen/undead) toons have normal human names (admittedly it takes a while to find free ones sometimes).

My main does have my real first name even though it doesn't fit a goblin.
    While it could work essentially with how you presented it, i just don't feel like a warlock would have such an average name, jeffry is like a friendly neighbor with mustache and a finely trimmed yard. But I do like how you presented it made me think a lil more about it! =D
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Well I didn't give my name to my main. I had saved it when DKs were originally announced. I figured I'd name the only hero class after me!
    However my actual first named is locked on all servers: Joseph. Jozeph
    Close enough!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if I put my first name and then people know I'm Gabronthe...trust me, they can find me.

10+ Year Old Account
    James the Blood Elf Paladin.. hmm.. doesn't have a good ring to it..

Plus, I don't play WoW to be myself. I play WoW to not be myself! Yay escapism!

I don't use just my name for my main character, but I do incorperate it into all of my character's names, though I am starting to get a little tired of doing so, but I am bad with making names, so it works.

Currently logged in playing a character who has the same name as me.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    There is no way I would use my own name for my wow toon. My name is fairly unique and I just had a look on facebook and there is no one else with my name at all. Besides, everyone knows me as Splatts, even my irl friends.

Nope because male toons look stupid with female names. That and my name is plain and boring. When i'm playing games I'd rather have fancy sounding names not normal boring everyday ones

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

10+ Year Old Account
    My first name goes over the character limits :<