Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Swift cars for young drivers!

Hey, I live in the UK and currently only earn around £850 a month, roughly £200-220 a week. I own a MG ZR 105+ at the moment but getting bored of it and would like something abit more fun to drive, faster, eye catching appealing.

I've been looking about but haven't really seen too many cars that look that good.

The two that i have seen is the bmw 3 series, something like this:
    http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ge/1?logcode=p

Or mazda RX-8:

Now i've got to think logically here. My jobs not exactly great but it pays for the things i need it too and im able to enjoy myself and save with what im earning. My car insurance is the problem, i pay £114 a month at the moment for my MG and wouldn't want to pay anything more than £150 a month for driving a car about.

In September i'd get my 3rd years no claims and turn 20 in august so that would affect my insurance slightly but not by a great deal.

TLDR: What im trying to get at is do any of you know of any sporty, nice looking cars that are affordable to run and good insurance wise?

Deleted
    My advice is to wait until you have a higher paying job before upgrading your motor to something more sporty. £850 is barely even minimum wage in the UK, if something breaks on that new car you wont be able to afford to repair it.

Stick to a cheap run a round for now until you are more stable financially.

I own a Rx-8 and while it is very fun to drive, it is not affordable. Most people would consider the gas mileage horrendous, I usually get 12 mpg in town and 22ish highway. Secondly, the engine is the only car left with a rotary, and they require different care then a piston engine ( most people treat them like a piston engine, and as such most rx'8s end up needed engine replacements at very low miles because of this ). As much as i love it, i wouldn't recommend one for someone looking for a affordable car.

The series is a great car and if insurance rates work roughly the same as they do here in the US, you'll get better rates on the BMW if its a 4-door.

Edit - RICH makes a good point, its not as fun short term, but a pricier car is a huge drain on tight budget.
    Last edited by Sudra; 2012-04-27 at 04:27 PM.

Get a motorbike.

Cheaper, faster and are way more fun to ride.

What about buying an electric car or a economic car for the enviorment and use the money you saved out to buy some food for some kids in africa ?
    or did that no even come to mind ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by tandenstoker View Post
    What about buying an electric car or a economic car for the enviorment and use the money you saved out to buy some food for some kids in africa ?
    I hope not because that wouldn't solve anything
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Electric car... saving money?

He probably didn't consider it as electric cars are expensive to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

10+ Year Old Account
    Worst suggestion I've ever heard. Firstly, electric/hybrid cars are often pretty expensive.

Secondly, why even buy a car? Just send all money you make to the children in Africa...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    My advice is to wait until you have a higher paying job before upgrading your motor to something more sporty. £850 is barely even minimum wage in the UK, if something breaks on that new car you wont be able to afford to repair it.

Stick to a cheap run a round for now until you are more stable financially.
    This. This, and more of this.

Wait until you have more of an income.

Quote Originally Posted by Blayzee View Post
    TLDR: What im trying to get at is do any of you know of any sporty, nice looking cars that are affordable to run and good insurance wise?
    This is pretty much impossible to achieve unless you have a decent enough income. I personally wouldn't bother with cars like that since you're still classed as a "new driver", get a small hatchback that gets you from A to B, and save up for that more special car a few years down the line.

I lol'd... hard >_>
    Last edited by mmoc41b369fdf8; 2012-04-27 at 04:42 PM.

ok electric cars are still expensive atm, i am not a car nut, but the point stays the same why dont you buy a cheaper/normal car and give the rest of the money you spend on some GOOD charity or help another human out with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I live in the UK and currently only earn around £850 a month, roughly £200-220 a week. I own a MG ZR 105+ at the moment but getting bored of it and would like something abit more fun to drive, faster, eye catching appealing.

I've been looking about but haven't really seen too many cars that look that good.

The two that i have seen is the bmw 3 series, something like this:

Or mazda RX-8:

Now i've got to think logically here. My jobs not exactly great but it pays for the things i need it too and im able to enjoy myself and save with what im earning. My car insurance is the problem, i pay £114 a month at the moment for my MG and wouldn't want to pay anything more than £150 a month for driving a car about.

In September i'd get my 3rd years no claims and turn 20 in august so that would affect my insurance slightly but not by a great deal.

You're 19 years old, man. There will be plenty of time for that later. I'd concentrate on finishing school and saving money as best you can. Being wise with your dough in your teens and 20s will pay some nice dividends later on in life.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Sudra View Post
    I own a Rx-8 and while it is very fun to drive, it is not affordable. Most people would consider the gas mileage horrendous, I usually get 12 mpg in town and 22ish highway. Secondly, the engine is the only car left with a rotary, and they require different care then a piston engine ( most people treat them like a piston engine, and as such most rx'8s end up needed engine replacements at very low miles because of this ). As much as i love it, i wouldn't recommend one for someone looking for a affordable car.

The series is a great car and if insurance rates work roughly the same as they do here in the US, you'll get better rates on the BMW if its a 4-door.

Edit - RICH makes a good point, its not as fun short term, but a pricier car is a huge drain on tight budget.
    Yeah your right i suppose. Tbh you wrote what my parents said really. I just would like i nicer looking car but as you say, its probably not worth squeezing out to pay for one on my budget. Didnt know they were that bad on fuel consumption too

I dont want to sound harsh, but thats the least of my worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Get a motorbike.

Thought about it but in the winter, its cold, wet, in the summer its sweaty in leathers and that. But it did cross my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    You're 19 years old, man. There will be plenty of time for that later. I'd concentrate on finishing school and saving money as best you can. Being wise with your dough in your teens and 20s will pay some nice dividends later on in life.
    I've finished school, im just trying to get into the right business/ company and work my way up through the ranks although nothings set in stone about future jobs which is probably more reason to save my money ><

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Get a motorbike.

He's from the UK, its raining throughout the year. Motors are hobbies, not for main transportation

Deleted
    ok electric cars are still expensive atm, i am not a car nut, but the point stays the same why dont you buy a cheaper/normal car and give the rest of the money you spend on some GOOD charity or help another human out with it
    He gets less than minimum wage and you want him to give what he has away? Get real....

10+ Year Old Account
    People aren't obligated to help others, so don't expect everybody to have starving children in a different country at the top of their priorities. If you're going to chastise somebody for not doing so, and, yes, you are acting like the person is bad for not even thinking about it, I hope you do the same with everybody else you meet that spends money on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    People aren't obligated to help others, so don't expect everybody to have starving children in a different country at the top of their priorities. If you're going to chastise somebody for not doing so, and, yes, you are acting like the person is bad for not even thinking about it, I hope you do the same with everybody else you meet that spends money on themselves.
    What if one day you are starving of hunger/living on the street wouldn't you mind knowing you can be helped by a complete stranger ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've finished school, im just trying to get into the right business/ company and work my way up through the ranks although nothings set in stone about future jobs which is probably more reason to save my money ><
    Keep your mind in that realistic and future looking mentality and I'm sure you'll do great and be able to afford way more car than you could now. Just keep in mind that loading yourself up with debt or making bad financial decisions when you are young can really hamper you for years later in life. Conversely if you keep your spending low now and stay out of debt, when your income goes up that will all be money you can play with.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Deleted
    What if one day you are starving of hunger/living on the street wouldn't you mind knowing you can be helped by a complete stranger ?
    You do know that the majority of money donated to charities destined for Africa does not reach the people?

10+ Year Old Account
    The kid is 19 -- give him a break. If anything he should be investing in his own future so he'll have that much more money to give to charity, or start saving for sending his kid to college or whatever.

At the end of the day people work for their money. It's up to them to decide what to do with it. Would it be good for people to give to charity, yes. Should we frown on people who choose to enjoy their hard earned money? Nope. It's not for you to judge what others do with their income.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.