Exclamation Portal 2 Perpetual Testing Initiative Begins May 8

From the official announcement on Steam:

Valve [...] announced the free Portal 2 DLC titled "Perpetual Testing Initiative" will be available for the PC and Mac on May 8th.

The "Perpetual Testing Initiative" allows players to easily create, share, and play Portal 2 puzzles. The Initiative comes with a simplified puzzle maker that allows that creation of mind-bending puzzles without ever leaving the game.

The puzzle maker can directly publish maps to the Steam Workshop where users can browse, vote on, and select to play them. Selected puzzles will automatically be downloaded and installed inside Portal 2.

[...]

http://www.thinkwithportals.com
    Anyone else looking forward to this? Planning on messing around with the simple map editor? Do you know of great, balanced maps that are out already? I hope this increases the replayability of Portal 2 significantly. It was simply too short!

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't gotten around to play Portal 2 yet, I did play the first however and it was great. Have to many games that I have not finished yet, so I shouldn't buy new ones until I do

But that perpetual testing initiative sounds awesome.

There's to many good games, and things related to games coming out! and to little time, argh! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    I haven't gotten around to play Portal 2 yet, I did play the first however and it was great. Have to many games that I have not finished yet, so I shouldn't buy new ones until I do

But that perpetual testing initiative sounds awesome.

There's to many good games, and things related to games coming out! and to little time, argh! ^_^
    I feel the same . Need more time to test!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's May 8th, might as well remind people about this.

Deleted
    Interesting. Give it some time and there will probably be some geniuses who have come up with brilliant designs. Can't wait. I'm suspecting the first couple of months to be filled with garbage, but those might be fun test too

Valve, where is that editor now? I'm waiting....

Same. Being in EU sucks right now. >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    There are several videos on youtube displaying the new tool, for those who haven't downloaded it yet. (It will begin downloading automatically when you open Steam.)

OK, guys

If you dont see the editor yet (it's in the main menu, named Community Test Chambers, after launching Portal 2) just shutdown Steam and reopen it. Then it should pick up the update which contains the editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeror View Post
    OK, guys

If you dont see the editor yet (it's in the main menu, named Community Test Chambers, after launching Portal 2) just shutdown Steam and reopen it. Then it should pick up the update which contains the editor.
    Thanks for the tip, will do it now!

It looks very good. And besides player generated content is the Holy Grail. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenFrodo View Post
    Interesting. Give it some time and there will probably be some geniuses who have come up with brilliant designs. Can't wait. I'm suspecting the first couple of months to be filled with garbage, but those might be fun test too
    Surely!
    Can't wait to get off work :C
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

Deleted
    Portal 2 is 6.79€ now, for two days, if you don't have it yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    having trouble trying to rebuild a chamber myself, waiting on finding a solution from their forums
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a build error I encountered yesterday. I had made this gigantic, complex chamber with tons of buttons and switches, but when I went to build it, I got the generic Error message. I thought that the problem was it was just too much stuff, or the chamber was too complex in shape, since there really isn't any indication on how big you can make these things.

In the chamber I had a single pedestal button hooked up to 8 different stair mechanisms, which appeared to be the maximum connections per button. Before I made any major changes to the chamber, I reduced this button to 4 stair connections, and the error was gone when I rebuilt. I don't know, maybe the tool has an issue with overloading buttons?

Quote Originally Posted by Zzeke View Post
    There was a build error I encountered yesterday. I had made this gigantic, complex chamber with tons of buttons and switches, but when I went to build it, I got the generic Error message. I thought that the problem was it was just too much stuff, or the chamber was too complex in shape, since there really isn't any indication on how big you can make these things.

In the chamber I had a single pedestal button hooked up to 8 different stair mechanisms, which appeared to be the maximum connections per button. Before I made any major changes to the chamber, I reduced this button to 4 stair connections, and the error was gone when I rebuilt. I don't know, maybe the tool has an issue with overloading buttons?
    Simplicity is key, my friend.
    You don't need to create an overcomplicated chamber with tons of buttons, switches, etc, etc, to make a great one
    Try something less complex, and I'm sure you wont have any issues!
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.