Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I leveled my original sage as a healer, certainly wasn't time consuming. Indeed, I had a lot less downtime Than on dps toons. What I recommend first, is instead of using your tank pet, use your dps pets. Things will die faster. Most my dps pets on any toon has very little issue picking up aggro on most mobs when I'm on a healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    I levelled my agent as a healer. Wanted to learn how it all worked. Hadnt played a healer since my shaman in molten core Didn't have any problems. Go for it

The keys gearing the pet correctly. Kaliyo had better gear than me at times

Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    I levelled my agent as a healer. Wanted to learn how it all worked. Hadnt playeda heler since my shaman in molten core Didn't have any problems. Go for it
    Indeed, I see a lot of people that level dps than switch to tank or healers, and well... let's just say they tend to be a little herp-derp. Not saying everyone is like that, just saying in my experience the bad ones usually didn't level that way, and most of the best ones did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Knowing what's your fillers and getting your key mappings all set up etc takes practice.

Well, I'll just go ahead and track my own progress here, after my original question. Me and Khem just soloed Terminal Injuries, the first Heroic 2-man mission on Nar Shadaa. Thanks to having a couple 50s, one of them human, I've racked up a fair amount of presence bonuses, so that probably helped a lot. Died 3 times I think, but that was usually to accidental CC break or a pack of enemies I didn't see coming. All in all, if most Heroic 2-man missions are like this one, I should be in good shape to be a soloing machine

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drbraininajar View Post
    Well, I'll just go ahead and track my own progress here, after my original question. Me and Khem just soloed Terminal Injuries, the first Heroic 2-man mission on Nar Shadaa. Thanks to having a couple 50s, one of them human, I've racked up a fair amount of presence bonuses, so that probably helped a lot. Died 3 times I think, but that was usually to accidental CC break or a pack of enemies I didn't see coming. All in all, if most Heroic 2-man missions are like this one, I should be in good shape to be a soloing machine
    Awesome. Yeah I think making a couple posts with your progress would be a great thing for people wondering the same question. I did level a druid as resto back in the day, which was silly, but there is something to be said for trying something different, even if it is more of a challenge.

Good luck on the rest of your experience.

PS - I hope you've actually played Dr. Brain games...I have fond memories of them.

I have to be honest, Kitty, I have no earthly clue what games you're talking about.
    On topic, when doing the mission on NS, I did notice that much to my surprise pulls with 3 silver enemies were tougher even than 2 golds.
    Things I learned from that mission:
    -Static Barrier is a Sorc Healer's bestest best friend.
    -Become acquainted with the hotkeys for at least your companion's "attack" command, and maybe their taunt if you feel fancy. Make sure whatever tank you're using at least gets a tap on everything you're not locking down with CC. If that means having Khem do a little ping-pong action between enemies, then so be it.
    -Even before you talent into Force Bending, unless you or your companion is about to die, Dark Infusion>Dark Heal
    - Before you start fighting, TURN. OFF. KHEM'S. CLEAVE. Broken CC leads to broken faces.
    -Unless he's getting overrun, your companion does not need constant babysitting. Feel free to toss out a DoT or two, or even a nuke once your minion has some threat, especially if Static Barrier (or whatever ability gives you breathing room) is still up and you've got a second or two.
    -Most importantly, scout your surroundings. This will probably be easier for Operatives/Scoundrels, since you have stealth, but even if you can't sneak, know the layout of the area and where the bad guys are. Last thing you need is a surprise patrol landing on your head.

Will continue to post as things come up. Cheers, all!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drbraininajar View Post
    I have to be honest, Kitty, I have no earthly clue what games you're talking about.
    Sorry I know this is OT, and not SWTOR as well...please forgive my nostalgia

Only the greatest 90s game company, Sierra, rocking my brain as a youngster! Oh man, Kings Quest too <3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Brain

Leveled my Sorcerer as a healer with Khem in mainly dps gear, didn't have any issues and wouldn't say it took any more time than my other 3 lvl 50's, if nothing else it teaches you how the heals work and how much you can help out dps wise without screwing force regen over and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling as a healer definitely has its perks, but also has its drawbacks.

Obviously, you don't have anywhere near the DPS actual DPS specs will, but you can survive a hell of a lot longer. I've leveled a total of 4 sorcs (2 in beta and 2 on different servers live) and all of them have been healers. This latest reroll is the only time I've actually had someone to level with.

As stated previously, you most definitely can solo a majority of the quests. 4 heroics can be a bit tricky, but are still pretty easily doable if you take it slow. Leveling as a healer also depends on how thorough you want to be. Most of my characters are 25+ by the time they leave Balmorra because I am a total completionist. If you get a few levels ahead of every planet, leveling as a healer becomes drastically easier. You can even tank some 2+ and 4 heroics with a DPS pet with proper CC and line of sighting.

It depends on how long you want to spend at something vs how much exp/cash you want. Soloing 2+ and 4 heroic quests nets you a LOT of exp and cash, but will also take 2-3 times longer than doing it with a group.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    one plus side is as a dedicated healer you can be invaluable in WZs. im currently lvl 44 and valor rank 42. this lets me bank ranked comms ready for 50.

Quote Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
    one plus side is as a dedicated healer you can be invaluable in WZs. im currently lvl 44 and valor rank 42. this lets me bank ranked comms ready for 50.
    This and grouping makes healing while leveling worth while, especially with dungeon finder coming next patch. People always sit there and complain they can never find a healer, then they say that they don't want to level as a healer because it's "slower." Well if nobody wants to level as a healer it's no surprise you can't find a healer for groups.