15+ Year Old Account

Graphics card question after current beta testing in GW2

Firstly, sorry for making a seperate thread for my question, I was going to ask in the Performance Thread but I felt I'd get more chance at responses and good advice if I made my own thread. My apologies in advance.

So heres the question:

Currently I have a Gigabyte GTX460 Super Overclock 1GB edition, and after just testing beta I saw that my game had fine fps on max settings when I was pretty much alone, but when I was around others the fps dropped quite a bit, it was still playable and nothing major, but it still concerns me.

My question is, would upgrading my graphics card to a GTX 5xx (can't really afford a 6xx card I think) make any substantial difference when it comes to my fps on max settings with other players around? If so, what card would people recommend, would a 560 ti make a big difference for example, or would I need something better?

I know this is only beta, but I'd like to make sure that when the game releases, I can play with others with less fps issues than I currently experienced.

Also I noticed the beta is currently only using Directx9, will it be using 11 at release? and will this furthar have a negative impact on my fps?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

d3v

edit: Just for added information, I was planning on buying a 2nd Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB card and run SLi, only to realise my motherboard only supports crossfire and doesn't support SLI (which I find rather crazy, as its a socket 1156 motherboard for core i5/i7 CPU's). Don't know if I'd have benefitted much from a SLI setup though when it comes to GW2, but seeing as I can't run SLI, doesn't really matter anymore :P

Wait until release. GTX 580 here with a 2500k OC'd to 4.5ghz and my FPS will drop as low as mid teens in some situations.

The 460 should be more than enough for WoW. But a 6970 would be a nice upgrade.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Wait until release. GTX 580 here with a 2500k OC'd to 4.5ghz and my FPS will drop as low as mid teens in some situations.
    Okay. I have the funds right now, I was thinking I might not have them anymore at release to upgrade, but I'll try putting some money aside until then and hope I don't need to use it for something else ;D

The fact you have a 580 and CPU at that speed and are getting pretty much same fps as me is a little worrying though, but beta is beta! Lets hope it improves!

Thanks for the quick reply

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 09:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Oinkeye View Post
    The 460 should be more than enough for WoW. But a 6970 would be a nice upgrade.
    Haha, you've made a very common mistake people make on these forums, we're in the Guild Wars 2 forum, not WoW ;D No worries though, I've made the same mistake too many times lol.

(and just to add on what you said, I'd prefer to stick to nVidia if possible, I've had AMD cards in the past and not been very happy with the drivers, maybe things have changed and they're better now, but I've been very satisfied with nVidias drivers.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-04-27 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guild Wars 2
    Display: the graphics-settings slider has only a minor impact on performance at this time.
    We are currently optimizing Guild Wars 2, making ongoing improvements to the game’s frame rate. Presently, the game is CPU-bound on most high-end systems, so lowering graphics settings or upgrading your video card may not have a large impact on performance.
    On older or lower-end machines, it is recommended that you try disabling reflections to improve frame rate.
    I found it somewhere in the FAQ I think.

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Okay. I have the funds right now, I was thinking I might not have them anymore at release to upgrade, but I'll try putting some money aside until then and hope I don't need to use it for something else ;D

The fact you have a 580 and CPU at that speed and are getting pretty much same fps as me is a little worrying though, but beta is beta! Lets hope it improves!

Thanks for the quick reply
    Well, if you want to go ahead and upgrade for the sake of upgrading, and you play more than just GW2, then something like a 448 core 560ti will be a nice upgrade for you over a 460 and just barely slower than a GTX 570.

If you want to get a good idea of what to upgrade too I suggest heading over to http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372 and compare benchmarks for other cards to your 460.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockbete View Post
    I found it somewhere in the FAQ I think.
    Ah, thanks! I missed that when skimming through the FAQ. Thanks for quoting it That's a little more reassuring

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 09:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Well, if you want to go ahead and upgrade for the sake of upgrading, and you play more than just GW2, then something like a 448 core 560ti will be a nice upgrade for you over a 460 and just barely slower than a GTX 570.
    Ok, I'll check prices on the 448 core 560ti. Although if I'm honest, I don't really want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, I've been pleasently surprised with how my GTX 460 OC has performed in games like BF3 etc, and I've only ever replaced graphics cards when they've stopped working.

I can't really decide if it is 'the right time' to upgrade now, or wait. Tough decision.

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 10:02 PM ----------

After looking, the only 448 560ti I could find from the shop I normally order from (which I've found to be the cheapest in Belgium) cost 324euros, from EVGA. Gigabyte are selling a GTX 560ti for 199 euros. Quite a big price difference, is there a big performance difference in the cards?
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-04-27 at 08:10 PM.

Hi

just necroing this thread from google search

Im getting 10 fps on wvw full battle

now im running a 2500k oc 8gb 1600 and a 560gtx

im wondering what would be the better upgrade ... another 560gtx sli or a 3770k or a 670gtx

its really only for wvw so if youve experienced 10fps when theres LOTS going on this is what its for

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Firstly, sorry for making a seperate thread for my question, I was going to ask in the Performance Thread but I felt I'd get more chance at responses and good advice if I made my own thread. My apologies in advance.

So heres the question:

Currently I have a Gigabyte GTX460 Super Overclock 1GB edition, and after just testing beta I saw that my game had fine fps on max settings when I was pretty much alone, but when I was around others the fps dropped quite a bit, it was still playable and nothing major, but it still concerns me.

My question is, would upgrading my graphics card to a GTX 5xx (can't really afford a 6xx card I think) make any substantial difference when it comes to my fps on max settings with other players around? If so, what card would people recommend, would a 560 ti make a big difference for example, or would I need something better?

I know this is only beta, but I'd like to make sure that when the game releases, I can play with others with less fps issues than I currently experienced.

Also I noticed the beta is currently only using Directx9, will it be using 11 at release? and will this furthar have a negative impact on my fps?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

d3v

edit: Just for added information, I was planning on buying a 2nd Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB card and run SLi, only to realise my motherboard only supports crossfire and doesn't support SLI (which I find rather crazy, as its a socket 1156 motherboard for core i5/i7 CPU's). Don't know if I'd have benefitted much from a SLI setup though when it comes to GW2, but seeing as I can't run SLI, doesn't really matter anymore :P

What part of "game not optimized, currently set to use CPU rather then GPU and so no matter how good your card is it doesn't make a lick of difference in current state" did you miss? Currently with the current beta builds it doesn't matter if you are running 3 top of the line graphics cards or just the onboard graphics because the graphics is being handled by the CPU until they get around to optimization which probably wont be till the last beta or two.

Edit: Sorry didn't see someone already posted Anets exact wording, but yeah currently graphics card makes little to no difference until it gets closer to launch after optimization.
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-06-11 at 04:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    What part of "game not optimized, currently set to use CPU rather then GPU and so no matter how good your card is it doesn't make a lick of difference in current state" did you miss? Currently with the current beta builds it doesn't matter if you are running 3 top of the line graphics cards or just the onboard graphics because the graphics is being handled by the CPU until they get around to optimization which probably wont be till the last beta or two.

Edit: Sorry didn't see someone already posted Anets exact wording, but yeah currently graphics card makes little to no difference until it gets closer to launch after optimization.
    No wonder, I'm struggling to play the game.