Thoughts on transmogrification

Fellow paladins I don't know if this question should be posted here but here goes:

I was playing my paladin earlier today and I had just finished collecting the lawbringer recolor from the outlands dungeons. A i was looking at the stats I noticed that the pieces stat wise filled all three rolls of our class. But when you put the whole set together despite the pieces filling various specs of the paladin the set looks complete and awesome.

My question is do you think that in the long term they knew they were eventually going to release transmog or some system similar to it and provide extra value and replay by allowing higher level players to solo dungeons for chances of a complete set of armor?

They had a model, they recolored it, they put it as dungeon drops and called them something else. It's a time-saver to use existing models for equipment with new color schemes to save time. I think most of the dungeon sets and T1 had recolors in TBC for that reason (if not for nostalgia or players who weren't able to get the originals when current content.)
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

10+ Year Old Account
    Back during Vanilla and TBC, Blizzard tended to put some goofy-ass stat combinations on gear anyway. Just check out the original Lawbringer and Judgement sets. I played exclusively as holy in those days, but I seem to remember both protection and retribution as not really being viable specs as far as grouping/raiding.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfoxm1984 View Post
    My question is do you think that in the long term they knew they were eventually going to release transmog or some system similar to it and provide extra value and replay by allowing higher level players to solo dungeons for chances of a complete set of armor?
    No. Gear aesthetics has always been one of the driving points of the game; everyone wants to look cool, after all. Plus it was probably an easy choice to say "Huh, what do we make Paladin gear look like for leveling up?" "JUDGMENT! EVERYONE LOVES JUDGMENT! *slaps on purple paint and calls it a day*

Quite the contrary, the Dev team was notoriously against this because they wanted gear to be a way for you to tell how progressed someone was in content. There were many comments that said stuff like, "If you see X shoulder pads, you know they're boss."

15+ Year Old Account
    I think most of the developers know that anything is possible. They have to continue adding new features to World of Warcraft or people will get bored even with new "content" if it is the same thing over and over.

Transmogrification is one of the many things they probably thought they'd never do at the very beginning of World of Warcraft but that now makes perfect sense (especially since having the latest tier gear is stupidly easy). Many MMOs are adopting similar systems (Tera most recently).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    i doubt they had transmog in mind in 1.11/2.0 times, when they made it, but i dont know, and i dont really care, it looks good and i can wear it