Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Playing with friends?

Guild War 2 has by far the worse instancing "feature" I've ever experienced in an MMO. How do I change my instance to be with my friends?
    Shuttle of Illidan

Quote Originally Posted by Driram View Post
    Guild War 2 has by far the worse instancing "feature" I've ever experienced in an MMO. How do I change my instance to be with my friends?
    Guesting/Visiting other servers is not enabled for this BWE. The only way would be to use the majority of the provided Gems for a home server transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    they changed this to test world transfers etc there are no gem requirements now, happy hopping... but there is a long wait as everyone is doing it, but dont fret you can still play til your kicked to move
    Good to know that Gems are no longer required.
    Last edited by Tithonus; 2012-04-28 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tithonus View Post
    Guesting/Visiting other servers is not enabled for this BWE. The only way would be to use the majority of the provided Gems for a home server transfer.
    thats not what he is asking. They are on the same server but different instanced zones

I also had the same problem. My friends was in the Queensdale-whats-its-name and i were in Queensdale-whats-its-name overflow. Same group, but couldnt see eachoter. And i for one found no way to change instances. Something they need to sort out fast

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    thats not what he is asking. They are on the same server but different instanced zones

I also had the same problem. My friends was in the Queensdale-whats-its-name and i were in Queensdale-whats-its-name overflow. Same group, but couldnt see eachoter. And i for one found no way to change instances. Something they need to sort out fast
    I can see that being troublesome if it occurs for a lengthy period of time and/or often. Hopefully its just a case of Overflow server testing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post

What's hard to understand about how that worked? You were in the overflow, and he was in the main. You play with other people in the overflow, and he plays with the people in the main. When the queue passes and you're given the choice enter the main, you do so. Voila, you're playing with your friends.

Worked exactly like this for me, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Halym View Post
    What's hard to understand about how that worked? You were in the overflow, and he was in the main. You play with other people in the overflow, and he plays with the people in the main. When the queue passes and you're given the choice enter the main, you do so. Voila, you're playing with your friends.

Worked exactly like this for me, no issues.
    Okay, but when you're in the overflow for 1-2+ hours, it starts to become a pain. They need to allow people from main to transfer to overflow. Really obnoxious not being able to play with friends for such an extended amount of time.
    Shuttle of Illidan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tithonus View Post
    they changed this to test world transfers etc there are no gem requirements now, happy hopping... but there is a long wait as everyone is doing it, but dont fret you can still play til your kicked to move

Okay, but when you're in the overflow for 1-2+ hours, it starts to become a pain. They need to allow people from main to transfer to overflow. Really obnoxious not being able to play with friends for such an extended amount of time.
    Then the person in main can leave and come back, boom he's in the overflow.
    ... nothard.

This. They need to get rid of "overflow" altogether and just make it district based, like Guild Wars 1 was. No idea why they would get rid of it in favor of this overflow crap.

Another question: Can friends quest with you on your main story quest line? or is that purely solo?

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Deleted
    Or... you can wait for the real game to be release and hopefully it wont have thousands of people wanting to play the same lvl 5 area.

The problem here is that his friend is probably in the overflow server while he is on the normal server. There are no "channels" for GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Then the person in main can leave and come back, boom he's in the overflow.
    ... nothard.
    My friends and I tried that so many times. We still couldn't find it each other. Somehow ended up on different overflows or what not. I think there is more than just the main and one overflow...They seriously need to fix this...

An Anet employee said in game that a way for you and your friends to end up in the same server is to enter a major city (Hoelbrek, Black Citadel, Divinity's Reach) and then exit together. Haven't tried, but might be worth giving a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Siverna View Post
    My friends and I tried that so many times. We still couldn't find it each other. Somehow ended up on different overflows or what not. I think there is more than just the main and one overflow...They seriously need to fix this...
    This will be an issue for the betas and probably an issue at launch. Short of creating a ton of servers, many of which will need to be merged once the population stabilizes, there's not much they can do. If your friends are in the overload server, they'd be in a queue in any other MMO out there right now, so you wouldn't be able to play with them anyways : /

Deleted
    They need to add an option to either go from normal to overflow or to go from overflow to normal if you're in a group with someone in normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys also might want to check your homeworlds. Playing with my man right now, he randomly got sent to a different homeworld.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    This will be an issue for the betas and probably an issue at launch. Short of creating a ton of servers, many of which will need to be merged once the population stabilizes, there's not much they can do. If your friends are in the overload server, they'd be in a queue in any other MMO out there right now, so you wouldn't be able to play with them anyways : /
    Nah, I remembe on EQ2 there were several servers for one area, so you might be in Faydark #36 and your friend in Faydark #23. But they offered the option to choose which Faydark you wanted to be in so you could play with the peopel in the separate instances.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!

You can also end up on 2 different overflow servers separating you from your friends. I don't think it will be a issue going into launch.. It'd be a huge mistake if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeh View Post
    You can also end up on 2 different overflow servers separating you from your friends.

This. We played the log in/log out game about 20 times before we ended up in the same "instance". We had to do this on like 6 or 7 different occasions, on a few different characters. They just need to make it so you can either automatically zone in together, or make it so you right click and "go to" the same zone. Something.