Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kylolz View Post
    Why was the game hyped to have combat that actually made sense like "EVERYTHING IN THE VISUAL PATH OF YOUR SWORD IS HIT" and why are people not extremely dissapointed if that's only true for some weapons? How does that not make sense.
    As far as I know Arenanet never said anything like that, it's gamers hyping it up by believing what they want to.
    And i tried the TERA beta. It was absolutely horrible, I uninstalled after 30 min and won't touch it with a pole.

Deleted
    The projectiles aren't homing as you are sitting on a fly mount and a fireball is cast on you, and you can fly around in circles and whatnot around in the air and it will follow you forever.

The projectiles will ''read your character'' and it will start flying to the place where your character is running at, however, if you walk behind a tree, stone, or behind a hill or something, the projectile will just miss and it will say ''obscure''

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Its not better when u are <<rooted>> for 0.25 -0.75 sec , and u cant use any other attack-jump or cancel the attack , before the <<animation>> ends
    You can cancel animations, but some animations that do big damage require a commitment time to use them, which is why the game doesnt just require manual aiming skill and reflexes, which it does, but also tactics and decision making. Also, you are NEVER "rooted" because most attacks move you forward in the direction you are aiming some amount, and you often use damaging weapon attacks for mobility in pvp. Pvp in MMOS without animation commitment and collision involves constant circle strafing each other while spamming damaging skills, which as WoW has shown, is very very silly. If you want to play that kind of game, go ahead. Im over it.

Why was the game hyped to have combat that actually made sense like "EVERYTHING IN THE VISUAL PATH OF YOUR SWORD IS HIT" and why are people not extremely dissapointed if that's only true for some weapons? How does that not make sense.
    Balance, you have some weapons where the attack skills are single target oriented, some where they are AoE oriented. If you get everything in one package........

Deleted
    If it says in your tooltip that the attack you are using is hitting in an arc, it will attack the mobs around it. If you have targeted 1 enemy, and start hitting it, and another enemy runs up between you and your current target enemy, you will hit the other one instead, even if you have the first one targeted.

You can cancel animations, but some animations that do big damage require a commitment time to use them, which is why the game doesnt just require manual aiming skill and reflexes, which it does, but also tactics and decision making. Also, you are NEVER "rooted" because most attacks move you forward in the direction you are aiming some amount, and you often use damaging weapon attacks for mobility in pvp. Pvp in MMOS without animation commitment and collision involves constant circle strafing each other while spamming damaging skills, which as WoW has shown, is very very silly. If you want to play that kind of game, go ahead. Im over it.
    Then you don't want GW2. Circle strafing is king in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    Balance, you have some weapons where the attack skills are single target oriented, some where they are AoE oriented. If you get everything in one package........
    1 : Not how the game was advertised.
    2 : Doesn't make any logical sense.
    "Anything in the visual path of any attack is damaged" = Logical mmo combat that wasnt in games because of technology limitation.

---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 10:32 PM ----------

Then you don't want GW2. Circle strafing is king in this game.
    So how can you argue that it is tactical? Sounds exactly like WoW. Do you all love WoW or something? I thought this was supposed to be huge on innovation.

---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    The projectiles aren't homing as you are sitting on a fly mount and a fireball is cast on you, and you can fly around in circles and whatnot around in the air and it will follow you forever.

The projectiles will ''read your character'' and it will start flying to the place where your character is running at, however, if you walk behind a tree, stone, or behind a hill or something, the projectile will just miss and it will say ''obscure''
    Why does it go where you are moving instead of going exactly where you aim like in real life and in FPS?

Deleted
    The game has never been advertised as "lol your weapons hit everything in front of you".
    Some fans might've wanted it to be like that and hyped it as such, but it was never an official thing as far as I know.

Deleted
    I don't even why we discuss this since it's all just about personal liking.

Some people love the World of Warcraft combat, some finds it shit.

Some love the Tera combat, other finds it shit.

Some people love Guild Wars 2 combat, other finds it shit.

So what flaws do World of Warcraft have? All skills are one targeted if tooltip says otherwise?

What flaws to Tera got? Every attack you cast your character gets stuck in place to fire it off?

What flaws to Guild Wars 2 have? That I can't answer since to me that combats is just perfect for me.

Deleted
    The basic attack of 1 lvl Mystic and 1 lvl warrior , its a <<big>> attack ?
    And y , just bought the game , and i have to wa8 the animations to end before i have move
    But Elin are freaking Beautiful ! My sister love them

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Its not better when u are <<rooted>> for 0.25 -0.75 sec , and u cant use any other attack-jump or cancel the attack , before the <<animation>> of the attack -spell ends

Or GW2 dodge mechanic can be used in all directions

But man , Tera its freaking cool for the animation and the Elin
    (just downloaded , 6 lvl Mystic , and going)
    You're playing a caster aren't you? My slayer isn't "rooted" though I do grant you I do hate getting stuck in combat animations I.e. attacking in one direction when there's no one there until it catches up.

Hmm... let me see if I've got this figured out. Let's take a two handed warrior type guy. (I'm pretty sure I read warriors could use two handed swords. If not please insert the right class in there. )

So three mobs ahead of me. I'm big tough dude I charge in there and I select no one to start.

I swing with my default swing, and since it's a two hander I hit the left and middle guy as they are close together but miss the right guy as he's too far away.

Does it auto select a guy at this point? Say I use an "Overhand attack" of some kind (slashing strait down in front of me) would that just hit the center guy I'm still aiming at as I run by? (Since I'm not stuck in place right?) Or would it hit the guy who become auto selected?

So I manually select the left guy as I run by and now turn around and perform a Ranged attack of some kind. (Maybe switched out to my bow or something while running by) And I press shoot. My AIM will be at the left guy, but if the right guy happened to step between me and him it'd hit him instead right?

That about sum it up?

Deleted
    "Anything in the visual path of any attack is damaged" = Logical mmo combat that wasnt in games because of technology limitation.

---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 10:32 PM ----------

So how can you argue that it is tactical? Sounds exactly like WoW. Do you all love WoW or something? I thought this was supposed to be huge on innovation.

---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 10:33 PM ----------

Why does it go where you are moving instead of going exactly where you aim like in real life and in FPS?
    Because it's an MMO and not a FPS? How gimped would rangers be then?

Quote Originally Posted by Falkman View Post
    The game has never been advertised as "lol your weapons hit everything in front of you".
    Some fans might've wanted it to be like that and hyped it as such, but it was never an official thing as far as I know.
    I will concede that! I could be wrong about any of this and i hope i am or i wouldnt be posting. I know that totalbicsuit claimed that alot months ago. I dont want your weapon to always hit in a big enough arc to hit everything (always or with every weapon), i just thought animations mattered and that aoe attacks were aoe because they were arc swings and that you always hit what your animation connects to like in other non mmo games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GozerTC View Post
    That about sum it up?
    Yes.

I know that totalbicsuit claimed that alot months ago. I dont want your weapon to always hit in a big enough arc to hit everything (always or with every weapon)
    And how often is TB to be trusted when it comes to abilities?
    The guy can often be seen saying "this ability does X and Y" while mousing over the ability and the tooltip shows something completely different. Or he says something like it's a cold hard fact only to have the game prove the opposite seconds later.
    Last edited by mmoc037083865a; 2012-05-05 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    Because it's an MMO and not a FPS? How gimped would rangers be then?
    Ranger (Archer) in tera literally is a third person shooter game where you ONLY hit what you aim at with your main attacks and it isnt gimped at all, it just takes skill, like shooter games are. If you are good you can have 90+% accuracy with your shots, its not like its beyond human potential or something. Does gimped = it takes skill?

New to gaming?

GW2 is fun, but there's still room for improvement. I enjoyed myself in the last BWE, just minding my own business when a cow lands nearby exploding. I trail back to where it comes from, to find a giant contraption flinging cows. As I get near an event starts, safeguard the cow launcher from the angry harpies. No other mmo has stuff like that. I could go on about the different things I encountered. The combat is not super, but it is still engaging.

Deleted
    You're playing a caster aren't you? My slayer isn't "rooted" though I do grant you I do hate getting stuck in combat animations I.e. attacking in one direction when there's no one there until it catches up.

Hmm... let me see if I've got this figured out. Let's take a two handed warrior type guy. (I'm pretty sure I read warriors could use two handed swords. If not please insert the right class in there. )

So three mobs ahead of me. I'm big tough dude I charge in there and I select no one to start.

I swing with my default swing, and since it's a two hander I hit the left and middle guy as they are close together but miss the right guy as he's too far away.

Does it auto select a guy at this point? Say I use an "Overhand attack" of some kind (slashing strait down in front of me) would that just hit the center guy I'm still aiming at as I run by? (Since I'm not stuck in place right?) Or would it hit the guy who become auto selected?

So I manually select the left guy as I run by and now turn around and perform a Ranged attack of some kind. (Maybe switched out to my bow or something while running by) And I press shoot. My AIM will be at the left guy, but if the right guy happened to step between me and him it'd hit him instead right?

That about sum it up?
    Warriors can use Greatsword yes.

I played Guardian though, with Greatsword, and every enemy with close enough hitbox would be hit by my greatsword. So it damages all foes nearby, and not only ''someää because the tooltip says ''hits 3 enemies'' it hits all of them.

Say I use an "Overhand attack" of some kind (slashing strait down in front of me) would that just hit the center guy I'm still aiming at as I run by?
    If they are both directly on top of each other, or one is slightly behind the other, how does not hitting both even with a very narrow straight line overhand strike make ANY SENSE? Really interested if there is any explanation for this.

---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 10:41 PM ----------

New to gaming?
    No, but this game is incredibly hyped because it has a bunch of "innovation" and is totally different then other mmos, and i was told part of that was it making any sense combat wise, sense tera completely does. "Combat isnt super" I guess i wont play the game. PvP is only combat, and i was told to play it for the PvP.

Deleted
    Example.

Strike -> Vengeful Strike -> Wrathful Strike

This is the '1' key button for Guardian using Greatsword, it's in a chain.

Strike = Strike your foe.

Vengeful Strike = Strike your foe again.

Wrathful Strike = Attack your foe with a final powerful strike, that applies Might for each foe you strike.

For 2H, You hit all enemies around you. Wrathful Strike pretty much attacks all foes around you and not just ''Strikes 3 enmies'' and there is 5 around you. If there is 5, it will hit 5 if they are closed enough with their hitbox, if it is 10, it will hit ten if they are close enough with their hitbox.

If they are both directly on top of each other, or one is slightly behind the other, how does not hitting both even with a very narrow straight line overhand strike make ANY SENSE? Really interested if there is any explanation for this.

---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 10:41 PM ----------

No, but this game is incredibly hyped because it has a bunch of "innovation" and is totally different then other mmos, and i was told part of that was it making any sense combat wise, sense tera completely does. "Combat isnt super" I guess i wont play the game. PvP is only combat, and i was told to play it for the PvP.
    Well if you get a free chance to actually try the game, do so. I'm pretty sure you would find at least some parts interesting.
    I've tried both Terra and GW2. And GW2 felt more fluid by far.