Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    If you want to play melee DPS, you really have to go greatsword; so much movement, and a ton of damage, it blows everything else out of the water. I really like the other weapon sets; dual axes feels fast-paced and wicked, Hammer is just empowering with all the ground crushing, but the damage is just too low comparitively. Sword/sword is weak as well, as it offers some movement and avoidance sort of thing, but not enough of either to make it good. Mace is great for avoiding some damage through stuns and block, so it's great to pair with a shield. But still, greatsword was just too good.
    I found that the greatsword was not top damage at all. My mighty greatsword was out-damaged by my crafted copper axe. The greatsword has great mobility and a huge swing arc, but it's damage is just average. Axe is probably designed to be top damage output with the frenzy boon it gives you. Also the whirlwind is awesome.

OT: I wanted to play thief, but got disheartened after the shaman defeated me over and over. I switched over to a warrior and when I got to level 10 I started having too much fun to level another class, especially with the limited time to play. I want to try the thief again, maybe the mesmer, only to prove to myself how much I hate it.

I wouldn't judge the profession from the Flame Shaman encounter. He kicked everyone's ass.

Deleted
    Mesmer all the way.

Lightning everywhere! PEWPEWPEW

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I wouldn't judge the profession from the Flame Shaman encounter. He kicked everyone's ass.
    Yeah, I started to realize that when I was a few levels into my warrior. Was busy that weekend so time was at a premium.

Gonna try guardian some more next BWE.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    After getting some quality time in game ... I am very heavily leaning towards rolling a necro instead of a mesmer. It just feels right.

The only other prof I tried was warrior ... seemed OK, but the necro .... just FEELS RIGHT!

Anyone else?
    I have not pre-ordered on my stance that I should know of an official release date before I hand over money for product. This isn't the stock market anet, I'm not bankrollin your whole stay. I digress.

I have been watching a lot of footage and since my main in GW1 was a ranger I honestly don't know how I can't try it. But I'm just thinking of an asuran mesmer with a greatsword. I love the way asura hold their greatsword on their shoulder and it's just unbelievably adorable. Then again, asuran ranger with greatsword I suppose has the same effect.

I was originally going to do a charr but I don't think I want to be yelled at by NPCs my first character through.

So to answer your question, I suppose yes I have decided to switch mains. Necro also looks fun, warrior looked fun for a bit until I saw everyone wanting to play them and that they are relatively one dimensional like in wow(not many conditions). Mesmer has tons of conditions and I just haven't watched enough ranger footage to know the amount of condtions they can apply but I know it'll be integral in which I decide to main.

Quote Originally Posted by Maiqua View Post
    I didn't like elementalist as much as I thought I would. Switching between attunements just felt complicated. I'll probably try it again when I've first gotten used to weaponswitching combat.
    I'm not sure why you'd have found pressing one of four buttons to switch attunements complicated.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Went from Necro to ele as a main. Ele just felt perfect to me!

I was thinking of Engineer, but im not convinced yet. It has quite some issues. The damage overall is poor, only under specific builds, heavily abusing damage increasing cooldowns (Elixirs) can it do damage other professions dish out by default. Engineer also lacks a decent long range weapon, Rifle is more like a Shotgun.

The kits sounded likt a good idea on paper, but in practise... not so much. The damage of the kits is even worst then the mainweapons (which isnt up to par to begin with), there is often no auto-cast attack ability. And since it doesnt count as a REAL weapon, it lacks the benefits and scaling of real weapons. Even tough, with the Engineer unable to swap weapons, the kits are suppose to be like weapons. And more often then not, the kits are quite unwieldy. And they cost a Utility Slot, and often only fill a niche or very specific role at best.

The Turrets are just crap. They die in a breeze, deal fukall damage, except the Rocket Turret but that has its own problems. And come with cooldowns to place, even if you pick them up.
    In a heavily mobile game like GW2, nothing spells SUCK more then a stationairy Turret with limited range and a fat cooldown. Best use is to suicide these things, the explosions do decent damage. And to get aggro on anything that breaths... and even stuff that doesnt. Ow, and they pick targets at random. Enjoy ninjapulls.

Toolbelt isnt amazing either. Some skills are okay, most are pretty worthless. All in all, not very impressive. Non-Elixir/Turret/Kit Utility skills are rare, but all in all not horrible. The Slickshoes are actually really good, the Rocket Boots are a bit fail but mostly because they seem bugged and tend to fail a lot. Ram is okay too, nothing special. And the Utility goggles apply buff, remove debuff and when used on someone else apply debuff, not to shabby but practically the same catagory as Elixirs.

Elixirs are the only thing that seems to work, and is also pretty much the foundation for any halfdecent build in pvp. Severly limiting the flexibility in the class to begin with, making Elixir and the Condition damage build just about the only two decent builds.

Also it takes quite long before you get to start using your Kits when you start a fresh character. And unfortunatly picking one that sucks AND is expensive (im look at you flamethrower) leaves you in a boring situation where you mostly use your mainweapon for quite a while. Without the ability to swap.
    So, all in all, it was a decently fun class to play. But it has quite its share of issues. Mostly a matter of number tweaking fortunatly, something Arenanet said theyd do for the next BWE. So ill give it another whirl by then and see if its noticeable better. If yes, i may stick to the Engineer. If no, ill probably cuddle a Bear and go Ranger or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going from Ranger to Warrior, pet AI needs to be worked on (I know its beta) but GS/Rifle Warrior just felt like it was my kind of playstyle.

Originally wanted to play ranger first, but for some reason I decided to play with mesmer first in beta, and now I think my first will be mesmer as the class really complemented the way I play- it had a similar play style to the riftstalker rogue in RIFT. This said however I am having a hard time choosing since I loved both ranger and mesmer in beta.