Thread: Hangover Cures

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hangover Cures

Have the mother of all hangovers. Went for a quiet drink planning to leave from the pub to go to bed, ended up at the dancin in at 5am.

Get the hangover cures out!
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

10+ Year Old Account
    The only true hangover cure is.....never stop drinking! (though the side-effect of that is dying, so people might find that worse)

But in all seriousness I think the best way to avoid a hangover is prevention rather than treatment. One of the physical causes of a hangover can be the result of dehydration and low electrolyte levels in the body, so drinking water and topping up your electrolytes may well improve how you feel after waking up the next morning....or afternoon..or whatever. Top up your fluids the night before to try and lessen the pounding headache the next day. Sports drinks are probably a good thing to go for as they often contain electrolytes, sugar (you also get low blood sugar from drinking) and, hopefully, hydrate you a little. You'll still want water though.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2012-04-28 at 01:39 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Don't drink beer.
    End the night drinking water.
    Avoid hangover completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Deleted
    Lots of food and lots of water. The best hangover cure is to drink a lot of water before bed.

Take some aspirin before you go drinking. Works wonders.

Take a couple of shots. It may be really hard to get them down, but it will get rid of your hangover.

Water & carbohydrates (i.e. pasta).

And yeah, better off drinking the water prior to sleeping.

Hell, if you're drinking spirits then having (soda) water mixers rather than coke etc is helpful too. Hydrate while you dehydrate

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Drink water / Gatorade, preferably all through the night. On my 21st birthday I had a glass of water with me and took a drink of water after every drink/shot I had. I didn't get completely hammered, felt great, and no hangover.

Berocca works a treat.

Drink lots of water. Also avoid cheaper liquors because they tend to have higher levels of impurities and these impurities can contribute to hangovers.

Cetrizine/zyrtec (allergy pills). I usually take them the night BEFORE, but they've worked the day after as well. Other than that, eggs and lots of water might get you going.
    10 char req. - because explaining is good.

Sleep, water, Advil. In this order.
    Who's got two thumbs and is awesome? This guy!!!

Deleted
    Out of curiousity what kind of hangovers do you people suffer from?

I myself tend to get a feeling in my stomach where I want to vomit and my muscles ache all over. I never experience headaches or an increased sensitivity to sound.

As for OP:
    Only cure is prevention, good meal before drinking and lots of water before bed.

As has been said, water.

For me, strangely, greasy foods work. Don't know why, but they always seem to calm my stomach afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    The only true hangover cure is.....never stop drinking! (though the side-effect of that is dying, so people might find that worse)

But in all seriousness I think the best way to avoid a hangover is prevention rather than treatment. One of the physical causes of a hangover can be the result of dehydration and low electrolyte levels in the body, so drinking water and topping up your electrolytes may well improve how you feel after waking up the next morning....or afternoon..or whatever. Top up your fluids the night before to try and lessen the pounding headache the next day. Sports drinks are probably a good thing to go for as they often contain electrolytes, sugar (you also get low blood sugar from drinking) and, hopefully, hydrate you a little. You'll still want water though.
    You want to be careful with how much water you drink though. Let's just say accidents can happen.

Deleted
    The reason you have a hangover is because you're dehydrated and because your body ran out of Ethanol to process and switched to Methanol(there's a bit of it in any alcoholic drink especially in low quality alcohol). That's why if you drink some more alcohol you'll get rid of the hangover, but once it runs out of Ethanol the hangover will be back, the body will switch to Methanol again.

So solutions: Drink water to hydrate and eat some eggs. The egg yolk has enzymes that help you get rid of Methanol. Just eat a pretty big meal, and drink a bottle of water.

The best answer is - don't be an idiot.

It's like taking poison then countering it with antidote.

Stop taking poison altogether, if not, then enjoy its effects.

Mod: Please, don't take this thread off-topic by arguing the pros and cons of consuming alcohol. Feel free to make a thread related to that, if you wish to discuss it further.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-04-28 at 04:28 PM.
    Bigger than Life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    Out of curiousity what kind of hangovers do you people suffer from?

I myself tend to get a feeling in my stomach where I want to vomit and my muscles ache all over. I never experience headaches or an increased sensitivity to sound.

As for OP:
    Only cure is prevention, good meal before drinking and lots of water before bed.
    I'm the same as you, I have never experienced a headache from drinking alcohol before, just nausea. I have no idea why haha.

I just saw on TV where this anesthesiologist had created his own business in a full size bus where he drives around Vegas curing hangovers by putting IVs of saline in ppl to rehydrate them for a cost. Cure about 90% of hangover symptoms in about 15-20 mins.

Most times I find that re-hydrating and eating vitamins as well as pickles for the acid helps me out, because large amounts of alcohol base out you digestive fluids making you feel stomach sick. Try eating pickles when your hungover, helps the stomach out tremendously, if in fact you stomach is upset!

For me personally, my sure is two pickle spears and a double shot of Cuervo 1800! Does the trick everytime!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djolisimo View Post
    The best answer is - don't be an idiot.

It's like taking poison then countering it with antidote.

Stop taking poison altogether, if not, then enjoy its effects.
    You sound like a barrel of laughs, drinking is fine if you don't do it too often.