Tiered Random BGs

Hey all ; I have this idea for a bit and want to know what you guys think about it :

Tiered random battlegrounds based on ilvl. Basicly , if you have levelled up a new max level char you won't end up with ppl on tier2 pvp items , and vice versa , if you have full max tier items , you won't have teammates at quest greens.

I know it might get the que timers a bit longer but I think it's better to wait a bit longer for a better match. It's not a guarantee that youll end up with good players at all , but at least there wont be big gear differencies like now atm.

I just dinged on my mage and for 3 nights , I'm in pain to get some honor gear. And even on my main , I can't enjoy random bg matches because of very low geared team members and enemies. I know you'll say that "you can do rbgs blabla" but its not possible to jump into an rbg team every now and then.

All they need to do is make sure there is healers in the random BG and I would be happy.

I'm pretty sure this idea I've seen before and I'm not for it because it will increase que times like you said.

If you want a "good game" go play rated bg's. That's why they are there.

Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

Deleted
    it will just be longer ques for geared and "ungeared" ppl.

Will never work.

You could just unequip a pile of gear to lower your ilevel to get into a game where the other team is all in greens, you put your gear back on and mash them to pieces. Don't just think you could make it work on ilvl in bags either, what if I had a 405ilvl PvE set in my bags but my PvP set was only 370? i would get into games with people in t2 PvP gear and get smashed.

Deleted
    Glurp have soo right... why didnt i think about that b4?

Horde queues are long enough as is, noty. Queue with friends instead.

queing with friends wont help my misery being at 125k hp against 170k hp

average ilvl cant be changed via equip/unequip thingie

there might be an option to go with "all random" without any tiers so you can have shorter cooldowns , or you can que with tiered with longer wait times. I myself would wait a bit longer for a meaningfull pvp.

I really don't think current random battlegrounds are fun for anyone. (it is not fun for me to kill 100k ppl in 2 howling blasts)

Random battlegrounds aren't fun because people suck at organizing and staying on task, not only because of gear differences.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you actually got the system to work, what you'd end up with is normalized gear battlegrounds. I know I would just farm up the best 346 (for Cata) gear I could find to stay in that first tier with the best queue times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly what Stanton said. It would be worse than it is now. Then again it would be good honor farming =]

normalized random battlegrounds actually sounds good. at least there should be an option to join for them.

your idea coincides with this argument (both would fail in the end) with the advent of lfg/lfr one would think they would implement a healer based que system for random bgs. but then, once you think about it, que times would increase dramatically for a given faction. take horde for instance on my pvp battlegroup. my alliance healers are always outnumbered 2-1 in every bg. so this could balance games out but i dont know how attractive 15 min bg ques would be again. after going through that on my alleria horde for an entire expansion it made me not want to play on that realm and in fact i havent logged in there for over a year now since all i did was pvp there in the first place. good idea, just can't imagine a feasible system that satisfies healer balance and que times.

Doesn't have to be that complicated.

1:1 justice to honor conversion and buff the blue pvp sets so that they aren't garbage.

What I'd really like to see though is a new world pvp area with ongoing objectives to complete. It would give fresh characters a way to farm honor at a better rate than perpetually losing battlegrounds. Silithus has something like this where you go gather this red crap for your faction and bring it back to your base. They could put it in the mists iteration of wintergrasp. After the main battle is done, you run around collecting armaments or bandaids for the next go around.

If you're tired of getting smashed around, just stick with a little group in the bg's, more preferably one with a healer, my priest got his set very easily and fast that way without too much dying, my balance druid now, has T11 PvE items because I've not been playing it, on this one, I stick with groups again and it's going like a breeze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woofermazing View Post
    Doesn't have to be that complicated.

1:1 justice to honor conversion and buff the blue pvp sets so that they aren't garbage.
    The blue sets aren't garbage. They're ilvl 377. They're prohibitively expensive though. The length of time necessary to farm up the gold or materials for a non-supported character is equal or less than the amount of time you can freeride BGs to a full honor set.

If you can get enough justice for honor in a 1:1, you can do it in a 3:2. The problem there is that losing 2-3 BGs is worth more honor than completing a heroic for the same amount of time. Notice I said losing. If you win 2 BGs, you'd need almost a 1:2/1:3 Justice:Honor conversion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Go with Arathi Basin, and just defend, and call incs if you're just gearing up in bgs, or queue for IoC, or AV where gear doesn't even matter, because they are PVE BGs, plus they are 40 mans and half the people sit on their thumbs anyways, especially in AV, all the noobs sitting at Stormpike Aid Station GY instead of sitting in bunkers.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-05-02 at 06:21 AM.

Wouldn't you rather have random BGs based on something unbiased like MMR?
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-05-02 at 06:24 AM.

I prefer normalized gear in my pvp. I play for fun not gear. Gearing is fun in pve because there is a bit of randomness to it and I can feel my relative power. In pvp I have nothing to compare it to because my opponents power level changes with gear. However proper gearing should be a factor if you live or die. So give out pvp gear sets with multiple stat budgets so players can still reforge to max their output. Make sure pvp stats are strong enough to outweigh pvp items. To give pvpers a sense of earning something let honor but things like transmog skins and gems/enchants.

Deleted
    I see a lot of people in at least 50% cataclysmic gear who still are bad. I mean real bad. Gear check is not a retard check

If someone please could figure out a way so I don't have to meddle with raging baddies (or the completly silent ones) I would play more random BGs and not just 1 honor set per expansion/character.