New Build for GW2+

Hey guys,

I've had my build for a good 4+years, it's got a 9600GT, 4GB of RAM, a 790GX MOBO, a 460w PSU and an AMD 7850 processor. As you can guess, this is getting out of date as it struggles in most newly released games. I've been thinking along two paths, the first one being that I switch to intel, which would involve a new motherboard, along with upgrading my CPU+GPU. The other is that I stick with the motherboard I have an get a X4 965 black edition + a new GPU.

I'm guessing if I got a new motherboard I'd get a P67 or a H67 + an i3-2100. I'm looking at the AMD 6850 for the GPU. I just want to get your opinions and if you have any suggestions, shoot!

My budget is $400 AUD at the max.

Cheers

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely go the Intel route. You won't see dramatic increases by going AMD and then you will be stuck with a shitty upgrade path for a while.

The i3-2120 with a z67/8 board should be fine. Check out marests sample build thread and you can get a better idea.

Lastly, I would shy away from the 6850. I would say the minimum these days would be the 6870 so save up a little more and get that.

Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    Definitely go the Intel route. You won't see dramatic increases by going AMD and then you will be stuck with a shitty upgrade path for a while.

The i3-2120 with a z67/8 board should be fine. Check out marests sample build thread and you can get a better idea.

Lastly, I would shy away from the 6850. I would say the minimum these days would be the 6870 so save up a little more and get that.
    Thanks for the quick reply! The i3-2120 looks good, is there any difference really between a z67/68 and a p67? Also out of those ones, what's the difference between the really expensive $150+ ones and the <$100 ones, which is what I just looked at. Thanks for the advice about the 6850, I'm sure it's more than a capable card though, I've read that it can play GW2 on ultra/very high which I'm sure would translate reasonably well to other games such as BF3? I'll go for the 6870 though, unless it's worth splashing out a even more cash? What would be the next option, something like a 560Ti?

GPU-$130
    MOBO- $90
    CPU- $125
    =$345

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Differences between motherboards are basically connection possibilities like front panel USB etc. The only thing you have to make sure is that it has a PCI-E slot and is 1155 compatible which just means it works with the new processors. You should be fine going with ~100 one as long as you check these two things.

I HIGHLY doubt it can play GW2 on Ultra. Maybe medium but definitely not Ultra/high. It would probably play low settings on BF3.

It really depends on how much you have. If you can get an Nvidia 560TI it is definitely worth it. However if you cannot I would just say stick with the 6870.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    Differences between motherboards are basically connection possibilities like front panel USB etc. The only thing you have to make sure is that it has a PCI-E slot and is 1155 compatible which just means it works with the new processors. You should be fine going with ~100 one as long as you check these two things.

I HIGHLY doubt it can play GW2 on Ultra. Maybe medium but definitely not Ultra/high. It would probably play low settings on BF3.

It really depends on how much you have. If you can get an Nvidia 560TI it is definitely worth it. However if you cannot I would just say stick with the 6870.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
    Thanks! Last question, when are the new nVidia cards expected? I'm happy to wait until then if it's fairly soon as you'd expect current card prices to decrease a fair bit.

Also, is my power supply going to be enough for the 6870 or anything slightly above?
    Last edited by Goregrim; 2012-04-29 at 05:42 AM.