Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Overflow system full of fail?

I get that it's better than using a lot of time in a queue to enter a server.

But actualy I spend more time waiting with this overflow system now. I waste so much time getting into the same "instance" or "server" as my party/friend.

Am I missing something? Right after an instanced quest, we return to the regular area and woop woop now we are scattered on different overflow servers!

Can it really be true that we have to travel back to an instance portal every fucking time and keep entering the area we came from until we don't get offered an overflow server to play on?

I'm sure once everything is sorted out it won't be that complictaed. They're probably just testing it this round to make sure it works properly.

Quote Originally Posted by reptylen View Post
    I get that it's better than using a lot of time in a queue to enter a server.

But actualy I spend more time waiting with this overflow system now. I waste so much time getting into the same "instance" or "server" as my party/friend.

Am I missing something? Right after an instanced quest, we return to the regular area and woop woop now we are scattered on different overflow servers!

Can it really be true that we have to travel back to an instance portal every fucking time and keep entering the area we came from until we don't get offered an overflow server to play on?
    Overflow servers are to keep you entertained while you wait for a spot. Demanding to be ported to the same overflow server as your friend, seems a bit ungrateful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Overflow servers are to keep you entertained while you wait for a spot. Demanding to be ported to the same overflow server as your friend, seems a bit ungrateful.
    Wanting to be able to go to the same overflow with a friend you're playing with is ungrateful? Wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    This is what i was talking about in other threads with you, you are incapable of seeing even the slightest flaw in GW2 and what you just said proved it. After this beta you seriously need to take a step back and reconsider some of the things you said.

What repty said was actually a very nice suggestion for the game, and its something arenanet should look into. Its not "ungrateful" its called criticism.
    Last edited by Fishyface; 2012-04-28 at 03:27 PM.
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

It's not that out of the question, when you're both being put on overflows, to simply have party members moved to the same overflow.

edit: Make sure you at least post this suggestion on the main forums. They've either not thought of it or it's purposely left out of the BWE. That's my guess anyway.

I strongly disagree. There sould be an easy option to go to the same overflow server with all members of your group. Its not that this is a difficult technical problem.

Among my friends and I we all agree we'd rather wait in a queue to play together. As it is now we get shuffled to the overflow servers whenever we zone or take a portal. Which you do a lot.

So we only had one chance to play together this weekend. Rift beta set the bar higher than any other MMO.

Deleted
    sorry to interupt here ...
    but after the devastating D3 beta weekend now GW2 comes up and it just sickens me ...

can you people (and i'm referring not to the OP but to everyone complaining about betas) please stop handling beta versions of games as if they are demos?
    the publishers and developers have to test their systems before launch ... they will test it as best as they can which means that at some point of the testing something has to go wrong, that is the most common way to improve something ... by seeing how it breaks and why ...

I'm confident that once the game releases servers will be strong and withstanding and that 1-2 weeks after those overflow servers will only take about 5-10 minutes of your precious time ...

once to summarize ... god damn, it's a beta ! things don't have to work out for everyone ... it is still development in progress ... nothing's finished yet and most of the things that annoy you in a beta might go away until the game is finally released.
    Last edited by mmoc9a551c3d4f; 2012-04-28 at 03:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    sorry to interupt here ...
    but after the devastating D3 beta weekend now GW2 comes up and it just sickens me ...

can you people (and i'm referring not to the OP but to everyone complaining about betas) please stop handling beta versions of games as if they are demos?
    the publishers and developers have to test their systems before launch ... they will test it as best as they can which means that at some point of the testing something has to go wrong, that is the most common way to improve something ... by seeing how it breaks and why ...

I'm confident that once the game releases servers will be strong and withstanding and that 1-2 weeks after those overflow servers will only take about 5-10 minutes of your precious time ...

once to summarize ... god damn, it's a beta ! things don't have to work out for everyone ... it is still development in progress ... nothing's finished yet and most of the thinks that annoy you in a beta might go away until the games final release.

IF the masses believe its a demo, then its a demo even if arena net says otherwise. They HAVE to impress those people, if they dont they will just end up going back to wow like in swtors case. When you sell a guaranteed beta slot with the game itself this is exactly the kind of trouble that will happen.

The beta isnt a bonus, it isnt a benefit, its part of the prepurchase. Therefore in most people's cases its a demo for them to try the game, and if they dont like it they will find a way to return it.
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post
    This is what i was talking about in other threads with you, you are incapable of seeing even the slightest flaw in GW2 and what you just said proved it. After this beta you seriously need to take a step back and reconsider some of the things you said.

What repty said was actually a very nice suggestion for the game, and its something arenanet should look into. Its not "ungrateful" its called criticism.
    The GW2 fanboys are worse than the SWTOR ones. Just because you paid for and were disappointed with the game they like, does not mean you get to say it in a public forum meant for just such a comment. Gosh, next you'll be wanting free speech...
    Who's got two thumbs and is awesome? This guy!!!

Deleted
    Anet response to the subject from here
    Hey everyone, we’re aware of the frustration with the overflow worlds, and it’s something that will be addressed before the game ships. For now, first make sure you’re in a party together, then, as some have stated, it’s definitely worth trying having both players enter a major city (Divinity’s Reach, Hoelbrak, Black Citadel), and then leaving together. This workaround isn’t perfect, but give it a shot.

So this beta problem will be fixed before launch.

/endthread
    Last edited by mmoc4706b8b12b; 2012-04-28 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    I have to admit that this feature for groups is extremely fail atm. Why on earth doesn't it prioritize groups and drop us in the same over flow server? The moment we go to a instanced quest area or heaven forbid move to a new zone.. poof we are no longer playing together. We spent more time last night just trying to play the damn game together with my friends than anything else. I like what I saw and feel it has potential but this "feature" simply blows hard atm for anything but playing by your self

Deleted
    I am very happy and excited about the game. Right now I'm only interrested in talking about this overflow system and how they prioritize. One of the big "selling points" of the game is the whole idea of welcoming people together and help eachother, where in WoW when you see ppl while leveling you go like "Oh fuck he's gonna kill my mobs" etc.

So this system is really confusing to me. If it wasn't for the fast traveling system with the waypoints, then me and my best friend would have given up playing with eachother long time ago.

I really hope it's a work in progress, because I'm most likely gonna end up on a high populated realm, since I'm interrested in playing on what with turn out to be the "hub" of scandinavian players.

At least queing as a group to the non overflow server should be an option. Not only do we waste a lot of time having to travel back to Hoelbrak to do some "instance portal dancing" to play together, but much of the time is wasted with one always ending up on the overflow server and the other being lucky not having to end up on the overflow server >_< It just feels so dumb. I know it's beta, but the game has been played, and tested by a lot of people and the press before this, they can't really be that dumb? Or has the problem really not excisted before this big beta weekend, because of the very low amount of players on the previous betas / alphas?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    I have to admit that this feature for groups is extremely fail atm. Why on earth doesn't it prioritize groups and drop us in the same over flow server? The moment we go to a instanced quest area or heaven forbid move to a new zone.. poof we are no longer playing together. We spent more time last night just trying to play the damn game together with my friends than anything else. I like what I saw and feel it has potential but this "feature" simply blows hard atm for anything but playing by your self
    Beta, beta, beta, beta, beta

Demos that way ---->>>>>

Deleted
    While they could put parties in the same Overflow instance... calling it full of fail because of this is a bit harsh, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip

Please stay on topic and don't try and derail threads. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-04-28 at 08:56 PM.

Deleted
    The thing with overflow servers is that once game is live, I suspect they won't be used that much.

The first couple of weeks we will be spending allot of time on overflow servers just as now in beta, but after that? Everyone will be spread out over different zones. Most of the time they won't be used at all.

I agree it's not a perfect system, but it's probably the best i've seen in an mmo so far. The alternatives are worse:

The WoW way: Screw overpopulation. People will whine because of lag and queues for a couple of weeks, then the problem solves itself
    The Instanced way: Like in AoC. They had lots of smaller instances, for only a fairly small amount of players. You could hop around on those servers though. But because they were meant to be used often, and be many servers, they are all fairly small, because you don't want to waste system resources.

Some way to team up across overflow servers would be useful, but I think the way they have planned them, they don't want different server lists. Big risk you get skewed server populations that way.
    A better way would be using the party system. If someone end up in an overflow server, everyone in party gets a popup. Something along the lines "Overflow servers in use. Do you want to keep this group on the same servers at all time?" - basicly, if one goes to an overflow server, all does (provided they are in the same zone) if they agree to it. If noone is in an overflow server, no popup is needed.

To those saying it's not a demo go try to pass through the portal that is left of the great hall in Holeberk, that is if you can get in the game and see what the message tells you. Just saying and furthermore it says you will get access to the beta event, not being able to log in is hardly qualified as having access. Just my 2 cents.
    "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." Muhammad Ali

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a question for the OP and all the other people calling game features (like overflow servers) a fail. Granted it is a flaw that your not sent to the same overflow server with your friend, but do you even bother sending feedback to the devs? Or do you just go straight to the forums and start a QQ thread about it? The game is in beta..... BETA send your feedback and let the devs know what the issues are.