Deleted

I have always wondered...how fast does muscle deteriorate?

Now I have been very lazy this week and I didn't go to the gym once and I hate losing strenght.
    Plus I have been wondering for several years now.... how fast does muscle deteriorate?

Deleted
    It takes more than a week for you to lose muscle strength or mass. It takes years of not using them at all to deteriorate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krip123 View Post
    It takes more than a week for you to lose muscle strength or mass. It takes years of not using them at all to deteriorate.
    Huh...I guess that is what I meant then. Losing mass and strenght.

If I remember correctly, a study showed where after a month of not working a particular muscle, its strength begins to decline quite rapidly. If you have been consistent for awhile, one week won't affect much or if anything at all. In fact, it actually may help if you haven't taken any time off in awhile.
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by handsdown View Post
    If I remember correctly, a study showed where after a month of not working a particular muscle, its strength begins to decline quite rapidly. If you have been consistent for awhile, one week won't affect much or if anything at all. In fact, it actually may help if you haven't taken any time off in awhile.
    Thank you, this was the kind of answer I was looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krip123 View Post
    It takes years of not using them at all to deteriorate.
    It doesn't take nearly that long.

6 weeks of complete immobilization (e.g. a cast) will result in quite noticeable atrophy.

But under more normal conditions, you'll still be using the muscle in some manner, so the deterioration will be much slower.