Quick question...

Does WiFi capability for a desktop come with a motherboard or is it something completely separate?

As far as im aware its something different, a wifi card normaly, or a dongle that you plug into a usb port
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark
    They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. I present to you the newest in Stark Industries' Freedom line. Find an excuse to let one of these off the chain, and I personally guarantee, the bad guys won't even wanna come out of their caves. Ladies and gentlemen, for your consideration... the Jericho.

For a desktop computer, most likely it is an add-in card or an USB device.

only a few MBs have integrated WiFi or come with a WiFi dongle ... for most MBs you need to get a seperate wifi dongle. most common dongles go into one of your USB slots.

I suggest buying some dongle from the company that your router / wifi station is from.
    My signature was too big, so now I use this one.

Ah, ok. I'll be moving back home and using WiFi at my house, but then in a couple of months I'll be heading back to college and using WiFi there, so is there any dongle that's extremely recommended for its value?

Well, i use an AVM Fritz!WLAN, but I don't know if that's available in not-german-speaking-countries ...
    a good friend uses a Netgear device which works quite well too.

I'd suggest you to look for a dongle that supports 802.11n and 5GHz ... usually those also support 2,4 GHz networks.
    With one of those you'll be set for the next couple of years ...
    My signature was too big, so now I use this one.