Motherboard and liquid cooling selection

Hi,

1. My friend is building a desktop for me and he's planning on using a Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooler. Will the CPU cooler make it difficult for me to upgrade my system down the road? I don't have much exp. building computers, but I plan on upgrading the computer myself in the future.
    2. Can someone comment on this motherboard: ASUS P9X79, I was planning on getting a ASRock Extreme9, but my friend says that I should save some money and just got with a more basic motherboard.
    3. Lastly, I'm planning on buying a 240 GB Corsair Force Series GT SSD, and a standard 2TB HD. Will I be able to install programs on the second HD? Or can programs only be installed on the same HD in which windows is installed on?

Thanks!

Do you really need a 2011 processor? If you are only gaming you are better off with the 1155 socket stuff, i5 2500K, i5 3570K. You will save at least 250 bucks on the processor and another 100-150 on the motherboard.
    Of course you can install programs to the HDD if windows is not installed on it, just change the installation path when running the installer.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Do you really need a 2011 processor? If you are only gaming you are better off with the 1155 socket stuff, i5 2500K, i5 3570K. You will save at least 250 bucks on the processor and another 100-150 on the motherboard.
    Of course you can install programs to the HDD if windows is not installed on it, just change the installation path when running the installer.
    Thanks for the reply! I don't need a 2011 processor, but I'd like to provide my system with as much upgradability as possible. So I'd like to have a motherboard that will take advantage of any new cpu that should get released in the future.

Are the Haswell CPUs even going to be on 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by memetootoo View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I don't need a 2011 processor, but I'd like to provide my system with as much upgradability as possible. So I'd like to have a motherboard that will take advantage of any new cpu that should get released in the future.
    What upgrades are you thinking of for the future?
    Cause with Intel there is a good chance that your motherboard/socket wont support a future CPU depending on how far in the future.

Either a new CPU wil require a new socket or if the socket fits there is a chance that your chipset does not support that CPU.

I know tons of storys about people who had the exact same idea as you and that new super CPU came with a new socket etc.

Quote Originally Posted by evilman View Post
    What upgrades are you thinking of for the future?
    Cause with Intel there is a good chance that your motherboard/socket wont support a future CPU depending on how far in the future.

Either a new CPU wil require a new socket or if the socket fits there is a chance that your chipset does not support that CPU.

I know tons of storys about people who had the exact same idea as you and that new super CPU came with a new socket etc.
    Hmm, didn't realize the refresh cycle was so short. Well, you've convinced me. Any comments on if the water cooling will cause issues with me trying to upgrade my system, down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by memetootoo View Post
    Hmm, didn't realize the refresh cycle was so short. Well, you've convinced me. Any comments on if the water cooling will cause issues with me trying to upgrade my system, down the road?

It is a thing that is hard to predict with Intel and i would not count on it. Chances are that the next gen (haswel) wil require a new socket (or atleast a new motherboard etc).
    About the watercooling set, i dont really see any compatability issues with future upgrades. I see no reason why Intel would want to change their mounting system. And even if they did these Astek/Corsair watercooling sets are rather popular and the retentionplates are easy to replace. So if Intel or even AMD come with a new mounting mechanism im sure Asetek/Corsair will start selling new plates for a few dollars. And if they dont those are rather easy to make.

Like Butler Log said unles there is a good reason for you to go with the 2011 platform i would look at the 1155 platform cause for gaming its a good bit cheaper.

And this is a personal opinion but you might want to go for a Crucial or Samsung SSd instead of that Corsair, unles ofc the price diffrence is to big.