10+ Year Old Account

Callace's Character Bio

Callace: A Character Bio

Name: nicknamed "Callous" by fellow students, adopted "Callace" as first-name, sometimes spelled "Callus"; real name is unknown to biographer
    Race: Gilnean Worgen, Formerly Human
    Languages: Common, Studied Arcane Language Spells at Dalaran
    Class: Mage

Personality:Stuffy Mage whose bark is equal to his bite. Has a short temper, yet is incredibly patient in matters of magic.

Likes/Dislikes: Likes keeping ahead of his pack by studying the latest spells, hunting for magical artifacts, and meddling in the affairs of dragons. As such, he is a mounted flying enthusiast when time allows or duty calls.

Dislikes humans that meddle in his spellcraft, especially children. By the same token, he appreciates older races for their patience.

Appearance:Somewhat ashamed of his transformation, he tends to hide his scruffy body beneath layers of ornate robes. He attempts to obscure his visage with his cowl to all but his most trusted allies and other Worgen. He has a dark coat with graying features.

Strengths/Weaknesses:His strengths lie in the frost and arcane colleges, especially the defensive spells of abjuration, taking a cue from his homeland's penchant for strong defense. His physical toughness has earned him the sub-nickname "Callus".

His weaknesses are his jealousy for powerful magics and his preternatural Gilnean pride.

Notable Conflicts:First and Second Battles of Dalaran, The Nexus War, The Battle for Gilneas

History: Born in Gilneas City after the advent of the First War, Callace was recognized for his magical aptitude at the age of 12 and sent to study under the tutelage of Archmage Arugal, Gilneas' own representative in Dalaran. At the age of 16, hell broke loose upon Azeroth in the form of demon-crazed armies. With Gilneas never facing direct assault from the Horde Host, Callace remained in Dalaran's upper-spires to defend its libraries from invaders that breached the city's magical barriers. After killing a few of his magically inept attackers with a barrage of arcane and fire spells, he was felled by a throwing axe to the knee that nearly cost him his leg.

Weeks after the battle subsided and the healing process was drawing to a close, Callace's leg was spared, but he was reduced to a limp. This became awkward for him, causing him to over-rely on blink magic to traverse the city, and all too often produced embarrassing mishaps of careening into his fellow students. He saw his increased isolation being reflected by Gilneas' own wounded withdrawal from the Alliance. His homeland was to be walled off from the world, and Arugal was to bid invitations to the Gilnean students of Dalaran to return with him to continue their studies at home. Even magical passage was to be severed from the rest of Azeroth. After hearing dark rumors about Arugal's experiments from the fledgling mages that had returned with him, Callace decided to remain in Dalaran to continue his education, and effectively said goodbye to his friends and family until Azeroth was to become safe again. He increased his studies tenfold, focusing on defensive spells from the frost college, even denying his friends' requests for his company. He would stand proud like his homeland, like a wall, unyielding. The other students mocked his new attitude, too cloistered even for a Mage, and dubbed him "Callous". The name wouldn't have stuck if he hadn't sarcastically taken it upon him self, changing his true name to "Callace".

Years later when the scourge marched upon Dalaran, Callace's remarkable abjuration spells saved many lives when the city towers came crashing down upon them. He was quick to join the counter-offensive, and after the surrounding kingdoms fell, and the scourge were finally routed, he went to investigate his homeland. He had been to the Greymane Wall many times before, but this time was different. Even as a fellow son of Gilneas, the surrounding villages shunned him, and once within view of the wall, not a single guard or light was to be seen. After witnessing the ruthlessness of the scourge, he had given up hope, and returned to rebuild his second home.

Still more years passed, and despite his poor ability to walk, Callace took to the skies learning to pilot the most dangerous of gnomish flying craft and bridle the most untamed of gryphon. He helped in the hunt for the Black Dragonflight, Onyxia, and Nefarion from his bases of operations in Stormwind and Theramore, and later restored his ruined city to its former glory in Northrend, where he battled the Blue Dragonflight in its defense. Despite the titles that were bestowed upon him for his expertise with dragonkin and his magical prowess, he obstinately remained "Callous" (or as he spelled it, "Callace"), the joke-name his peers had labeled him.

Deathwing split the world apart, and new horror stories poured in from Callace's homelands. Callace made haste to the Greymane Wall to defend the newly roused Gilneans from the Forsaken, only to beat a steady retreat with Worgen, Undead, and Floods at all sides. His homeland was cursed. And he had received the bite of the Worgen.

Although healed from his limp by his new Worgen form, Callace is as defensive as ever, primarily keeping to the confines of tall towers across Azeroth, where he hides his curse from the world, and studies elementium samples from the scenes of Deathwing's carnage, in the hopes of discovering some magical weakness.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-29 at 04:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the bio, but I was concerned about a few points. He's a successful wizard with no reward, why is that? He's defended many and yet was still shunned, he nearly lost his leg and yet despite that valiant sacrifice, he's not recognized with respect. You'd think someone with such a track record would be well loved and tolerated, except Gilneas of course, I get that. Also, what reason does he have for defending these places? You mentioned Argul as his teacher at one point, but briefly. Maybe at some point during his studies he could develop a powerful friendship that convinces him the world is worth defending? Or perhaps, a friendship that convinces Callace to abandon the world and hide his "Curse." I think you need to add more powerful motives to this character, he's well off, but he seems a little dull. He just does things out of some hidden pride. Other then that, I appreciate his valor and courage, I salute you sir worgen!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darced View Post
    I liked the bio, but I was concerned about a few points. He's a successful wizard with no reward, why is that? He's defended many and yet was still shunned, he nearly lost his leg and yet despite that valiant sacrifice, he's not recognized with respect. You'd think someone with such a track record would be well loved and tolerated, except Gilneas of course, I get that. Also, what reason does he have for defending these places? You mentioned Argul as his teacher at one point, but briefly. Maybe at some point during his studies he could develop a powerful friendship that convinces him the world is worth defending? Or perhaps, a friendship that convinces Callace to abandon the world and hide his "Curse." I think you need to add more powerful motives to this character, he's well off, but he seems a little dull. He just does things out of some hidden pride. Other then that, I appreciate his valor and courage, I salute you sir worgen!
    Thanks for the optimism! To be honest, I didn't really put any thought into fleshing out his story, I just wanted to outline his exploits. Although, I did give thought to expanding his relationship with Arugal, but close attachment to major Lore figures is typically a no-no in Bio writing (or at least that's what the guidelines advocate for this forum). Yeah, there really isn't any real motivation to speak of, it's basically a skeleton. But I agree with the points you made. I just didn't heed them while writing this. I'm a first timer, so I'll have to revise for reality. I'm just happy that you didn't catch any glaring continuity issues.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-28 at 10:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The continuity was fine, and I'd also like to applaud you on your optimism as well. This is ambitious for a first timer. :P Also, he doesn't have to have a close relationship with Argul, though he can, Callace can develop one with anyone. Maybe a student or lover, something along those lines. It'll make him come alive and a very effective character. This is just a suggestion and I know writing bios can be an arduous process. There's no rush to make any changes or need to; I look forward to Rping with you. Perhaps you'd be interested in participating in War of the Greys: Forge of Souls? The more the merrier, and it'll give you some RP practice. Plus, it'll be fun as hell :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darced View Post
    The continuity was fine, and I'd also like to applaud you on your optimism as well. This is ambitious for a first timer. :P Also, he doesn't have to have a close relationship with Argul, though he can, Callace can develop one with anyone. Maybe a student or lover, something along those lines. It'll make him come alive and a very effective character. This is just a suggestion and I know writing bios can be an arduous process. There's no rush to make any changes or need to; I look forward to Rping with you. Perhaps you'd be interested in participating in War of the Greys: Forge of Souls? The more the merrier, and it'll give you some RP practice. Plus, it'll be fun as hell :P
    Thanks again. I'll be revising regardless, I don't role-play, but I do have years of creative writing under my belt, so this is nowhere near my standards. Just a fun little outline until I decide to breath some life into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A good start, so far. I, too, would love to see him fleshed out more with a relationship and some explanation of why he's still pushed away. Perhaps a disfigurement that makes it hard for people to get close to him?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    A good start, so far. I, too, would love to see him fleshed out more with a relationship and some explanation of why he's still pushed away. Perhaps a disfigurement that makes it hard for people to get close to him?
    Thanks Darsithis

I think the Worgen curse will be enough of a catalyst for isolation in the latter part, but you're right that there really isn't an overall motivation for his reclusion.

Okay, very nice read, the only question that remains to be clarified for me is, does Callace still limp when he is in his human form? If so you could still list it under weaknesses. This is a nit pick, but since I got nothin' else to be a smart ass about, I have to wail on that : D
    Jokes aside, very well written Bio, and welcome to the forum.