Poll: In desperate situations where you need to steal to survive, is it acceptable?

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is it okay to steal...?

Is it okay to steal if you are poor and just need to steal to get by and keep on living?

This is a question that was brought up by my psychology teacher. I'm wondering if people will give similar responses to what the students said in the classroom.

Deleted
    Sure, why not.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there are ways to make a living without stealing. It isn't easy but there are legal ways. Gone are the days of Robin Hood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    No, there are ways to make a living without stealing. It isn't easy but there are legal ways. Gone are the days of Robin Hood.
    What if you were starving, and had nothing to eat in days? Wouldnt it be tempting to go into that store and steal something small to at least keep on living? Just wanting to know your opinion.

Not if you steal more than you need or steal from other poor people, if you got rich people to steal from, go nuts!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Is it ok? No, it's not. No matter how you look at it, it's morally wrong to steal. An ill-gotten gain is morally wrong.

....Are there still situations in which one must go against morality, an end-justifies-the-means deal? Yes, I believe there are, but they are not as common as one might think. Desperation tends to make one often jump to the most immediate solution, even if there might be another, less obvious solution to whatever problem one is facing.

Sure if you're starving and need food.

If he is not living and has to steal to get by, It is his fault. he didn't try enough in school and at a younger age to get a job. The man getting stolen from worked hard and deserves to have things that he does not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    What if you were starving, and had nothing to eat in days? Wouldnt it be tempting to go into that store and steal something small to at least keep on living? Just wanting to know your opinion.
    In this example, no, it wouldn't be ok. If you were starving, but in a place that had a store with food (AKA civilization of some sort), then chances are you're near a phone, which means you can call toll-free/collect to services that are available to help people in those sorts of situations. One could even go to the police for help reaching social services of some sort, such as a shelter, soup kitchen, or the like.

In most cases, there is generally another answer available.

Is it okay to steal if you are poor and just need to steal to get by and keep on living?
    I think your Psychology teacher wants to give you a lesson in how we rationalize actions that are contrary to our moral code or upbringing. The answer I would give is that no it's not okay. People who feel it is okay are just trying to find an excuse to pardon breaking the law. The thing is though that while stealing may very well seem like the only option to someone in this condition all they are doing is risking making their lives worse while also harming people around them.

So no; it's not okay.

Deleted
    You don't even need to 'steal'. Go dumpster diving, every day supermarket chains dump/waste tons of fresh food in the garbage. (By fresh I mean not frozen stuff that cannot be kept over a period of several days: fresh fish/meat, stale/hard bread/cakes). Really there's no need to steal in such a wasteful society we live in.

If you're that bad off, you may as well. Worst case scenario petty larceny gets you a little time in county. 3 meals a day, a bed to sleep in... Probably increases your chances of survival.

Is it ok? No. Never. There are plenty of valid excuses, but stealing hurts others, and that's not ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    I think your Psychology teacher wants to give you a lesson in how we rationalize actions that are contrary to our moral code or upbringing. The answer I would give is that no it's not okay. People who feel it is okay are just trying to find an excuse to pardon breaking the law. The thing is though that while stealing may very well seem like the only option to someone in this condition all they are doing is risking making their lives worse while also harming people around them.

So no; it's not okay.
    Good points. It was pretty interesting to hear the reactions from people in class and the differing opinions. Some were just like the posters here saying: "yeah go for it, why not?" and "if you are starving, then yes its ok," and other people said :"Absoutely not."

I personally agree with Herecius, there are definately other means to get by other than stealing. Pursuit of Happyness anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post

So no; it's not okay.
    In not so many words this is the exactly what in the business world dictates whether or not there is a breach in ethics. If you have to find a rational logic to circumvent a natural reaction to something you would think is wrong then you have a breach in ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    In this example, no, it wouldn't be ok. If you were starving, but in a place that had a store with food (AKA civilization of some sort), then chances are you're near a phone, which means you can call toll-free/collect to services that are available to help people in those sorts of situations. One could even go to the police for help reaching social services of some sort, such as a shelter, soup kitchen, or the like.

In most cases, there is generally another answer available.
    Fuck that.
    Way easier to jack a candy bar.

Healthier too!
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    If you're that bad off, you may as well. Worst case scenario petty larceny gets you a little time in county. 3 meals a day, a bed to sleep in... Probably increases your chances of survival.

Is it ok? No. Never. There are plenty of valid excuses, but stealing hurts others, and that's not ok.
    But would the person that has food being stolen from be morally wrong to deny someone food when they know they are starving? (this was an actual question from a student)

10+ Year Old Account
    there are resources of food and shelter if you want to bother with them, stealing is not an option unless you are too stupid to go to a foodbank or shelter and wait in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    No, there are ways to make a living without stealing. It isn't easy but there are legal ways.
    This may be true for most western or developped countries, but not for the entire world.

There is no doubt you have the right to kill or injure someone in self-defence. Although by stealing the incentive comes from you, the outcome is pretty much the same: You do it to survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are times when I can morally justify it depending on the situation. Is it still "right"? No. Would I do it? No. There are free food shelters in many cities and if I had no other way I would sooner ask for scraps than steal it. Stealing is lower than begging, in my opinion.

quod est necessarium est licitum - what is necessary is lawful