Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    #Respect to this transfer article

    Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04...r-this-summer/

    Sounds like they will be free like we see in Rift. Much respect because this is pretty damn cool.

    Feeling grounded on a particular Star Wars: The Old Republic server while your friends are hyperjumping on a different one? BioWare says relief for player segregation is in sight, as the studio is preparing for character transfers in SWTOR starting "in early summer."

    According to Senior Producer Dallas Dickinson, the service will be made available in waves. The studio will begin by offering free transfers to and from specific servers, but later on there will be a more widespread system that will allow anyone to transfer to the server of their choice. The service should help alleviate issues with low population servers by offering transfers to high-pop ones.

    It's important to note that while some of these transfers will be free, others will require a real-world fee.

    SWTOR recently released in new territories including the Middle East, and has plans for additional playable races for later this year.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  2. #2
    Moderator d3v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    East Flanders, Belgium
    Posts
    4,722
    You say they will be free like in Rift, while the part you quoted clearly says "It's important to note that while some of these transfers will be free, others will require a real-world fee."

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    You say they will be free like in Rift, while the part you quoted clearly says "It's important to note that while some of these transfers will be free, others will require a real-world fee."
    opps yeah my bad. Yep they are just money grubbing pricks then. I read that wrong.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04...r-this-summer/

    Sounds like they will be free like we see in Rift. Much respect because this is pretty damn cool.
    Low pop to High pop.

    They are prepping for mergers.

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-30 at 03:00 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    opps yeah my bad. Yep they are just money grubbing pricks then. I read that wrong.
    "We are going to give free transfers to the people who need them most. The rest will have to pay a small fee"

    D: MONEY GRUBBING 1%ERS!!!
    R: Free transfers for the needy? Socialist communist pigs. I deserve free stuff just as much as they do, if not more! I'll go complain until they give me what I want. Just like with the free 30 days!

    Please don't bring politics in to this forum. If you want to discuss politics, go to the GenOT forum. ~ Dakia
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-04-30 at 03:16 PM.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  5. #5
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,392
    Where are all the doomsayers who said they would never do free transfers?

    Hmm?

    Where are you now?

    I'm going to dig up your posts and call you out, so you may as well post here and admit defeat.

    No, don't do that. If someone wants to argue with you, you are welcome to reference past posts. Don't go digging around for people to flame. ~ Dakia
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-04-30 at 03:42 PM.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Where are all the doomsayers who said they would never do free transfers?

    Hmm?

    Where are you now?

    I'm going to dig up your posts and call you out, so you may as well post here and admit defeat.
    I would prefer it stay free so that returning could x-fer wherever.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  7. #7
    The free xfers will be most likely from high pop to low/medium pops, almost no one will want those.

  8. #8
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    The free xfers will be most likely from high pop to low/medium pops, almost no one will want those.
    My thinking is that we will definitely see free transfers be made available from the servers that have queue times. My sincere hope is that BW also offers free transfers to the bottom 30% of servers, in terms of population. They will need to restrict those transfers from going to the top servers though or they will just make the situation worse than it already is.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    The free xfers will be most likely from high pop to low/medium pops, almost no one will want those.
    Or it could be a bunch of low-pop servers to a specific medium-pop server, if they actually do this strategically. It will be in essence voluntary server mergers. I suppose they could also add transfers from the high-pop servers like The Fatman, but I have doubts that for all the complaints about queues that anyone would give up being on the most active server.

  10. #10
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,167
    What I would really like to see them implement is a free guild transfer function under the parameters that I already outlined. That way, entire guilds could transfer while staying together and maintaining their guild bank, etc.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    The free xfers will be most likely from high pop to low/medium pops, almost no one will want those.
    They flat out say low to high in the past like... 3 statements on this topic. I think that those will be first, and free. They are clearly getting ready to merge.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  12. #12
    Looks like good news to me. At least suppress your inner cynic till they anounce who can go where and then the QQ can begin again.......just lets have a week off shall we?...at least on the issue of server transfers.

  13. #13
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    I'm going to dig up your posts and call you out, so you may as well post here and admit defeat.

    No, don't do that. If someone wants to argue with you, you are welcome to reference past posts. Don't go digging around for people to flame. ~ Dakia
    Someone took my post a little too seriously. I'll clearly mark the sarcasm next time, sorry Dakia.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

  14. #14
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Someone took my post a little too seriously. I'll clearly mark the sarcasm next time, sorry Dakia.
    It can be hard to tell in text form. I get where you are coming from on it, which is why you weren't infracted, but sarcasm doesn't translate all that well in text. I just didn't want the thread to degrade.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I just didn't want the thread to degrade.
    Like Uranium

    But OT, I am anxious about server transfers. I happen to be on one of the more populated servers (though there generally aren't queues) but the Republic is a bit more populated, though it is close. If they aren't extremely careful about how they do transfers servers like mine could end up off balance and that won't be too much fun.

  16. #16
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Where are all the doomsayers who said they would never do free transfers?

    Hmm?

    Where are you now?
    Hehe... I think BioWare learned their lesson from the Space Combat fiasco. No sense in kicking wasp nests that you don't need to. I wouldn't be surprised if those transfers include leaving Fatman and Freedon Nadd and don't include moving to them.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Hehe... I think BioWare learned their lesson from the Space Combat fiasco. No sense in kicking wasp nests that you don't need to. I wouldn't be surprised if those transfers include leaving Fatman and Freedon Nadd and don't include moving to them.
    Well, ofc no one will be allowed to transfer to fatman. It has queues.

    But a medium high pop that gets heavy on the weekends? Definitely.

    I think their goal will be to make all the servers high medium on weeknights and heavy on weekends.

    Granted, that's an ideal.

    I can't wait to see where this game is in a year.

    Hopefully we will have 3d space pvp... Hopefully.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  18. #18
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,167
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    Hopefully we will have 3d space pvp... Hopefully.
    After some of the comments that I heard on this podcast (HERE), I think that just might be the case. While he doesn't talk openly about space PvP being added, he makes a reference to something interesting when the interviewer asks about spaceship customization.

    I don't have the exact quote or transcript, but when asked he basically says that some people might not understand the need for spaceship customization because " . . . . . nobody else can see it." He then goes on to mention that such customization is planned. Those two references together lead me to believe that, at some point, we will be in space with other people. Whether that means space PvP or space FPs/OPs remains to be seen.

    ----------

    On a side note: Will someone just go ahead and remake TIE Fighter or X-Wing already!!!!!!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    After some of the comments that I heard on this podcast (HERE), I think that just might be the case. While he doesn't talk openly about space PvP being added, he makes a reference to something interesting when the interviewer asks about spaceship customization.

    I don't have the exact quote or transcript, but when asked he basically says that some people might not understand the need for spaceship customization because " . . . . . nobody else can see it." He then goes on to mention that such customization is planned. Those two references together lead me to believe that, at some point, we will be in space with other people. Whether that means space PvP or space FPs/OPs remains to be seen.
    I wish they would just email me and be like "Hey man, sit tight. We will have an entire end game for space. Space raiding, Space pvp, Space rvr. Just give us 6 months."

    I just want to know I am investing my money in a game that is headed in the right direction.

    Edit: By right direction I mean a holistic star wars experience. I feel that people born past 1990 don't even think of x-wing when they think star wars. Swtor has done a great job with the whole sith/jedi thing and incorporated the immensely diverse EU of the SW ip into a familiar collage accessible by fans of sw4-6 and 1-3 AND the EU... But sith and jedi are only half the star wars equation and until I get the other half I am going to be left wanting.

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-30 at 06:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    On a side note: Will someone just go ahead and remake TIE Fighter or X-Wing already!!!!!!
    Make it for Iphone/Ipad.

    Would make my morning commute amazing.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-04-30 at 06:11 PM.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if those transfers include leaving Fatman and Freedon Nadd and don't include moving to them.
    To me that is an issue, having re-rolled to Tomb I would either be extorted to move my old characters there or waste 4 months of effort, they have put them selfs in a really shitty position by not having transfers available at launch as I won't pay for transfer nor will I leave the characters behind.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •