Thread: What is a man?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    If you have to ask...then you don't have it.

If you don't have it, then you don't know what to ask.

If you don't know what to ask, then you won't know how to get it.

If you don't know how to get it, then you won't have it.
    Pretty much this. It's a question you have to answer yourself.

I define a man as one who has the typical and expected male genitalia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsimp View Post
    You're thinking of a male.
    I'm fairly sure they are synonyms, if you want my opinion on what is culturally manly you'll have to define what culture first. I'm also fairly certain 'male' includes those under 18.

this topic is like religion, There's too many ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimC View Post
    Most of the 18 year olds = kids (I'm 18 and im a kid, more mature than 16 year old but still a kid.)

You go to army then get a job and you are man.
    What if you are unable to get to army due some condition? Are you still a boy when you are dying of old age? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    To me a man is somebody that has the conviction to stand up for his beliefs no matter the consequences. Age, marital status or employment status has nothing to do with it.
    Culture does, though. Also, I've always wondered this. What if you find out that your beliefs are wrong? Is somebody strong for not only believing that we should be pulling people over because they look Hispanic, but for refusing to back down despite strong opposition to the contrary? I agree that constantly shifting your opinion is something that you shouldn't desire, but being firm in your beliefs isn't always a good thing.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    The definition will vary wildly by culture, and it's changed over time as well. In North America it tends to be tied into capitalism. You become a man when you reach a certain age, get a job, become "independent", etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a job, have a vehicle, own your own house, and realize things like premarital sex and partying don't mean shit, therefore you don't do it. You stand up for what is right, and you stand your ground when threatened, you do what you have to do, whether you like it or not, and don't bitch about it. You don't let people walk all over you and at the same time you don't walk all over anyone else, because you are above that, you show some fucking respect.

If the description above describes you, congratulations. You are a man. If you don't follow any single of the values said above, sorry to say, you probably have a little bit of growing up to do.

15+ Year Old Account
    The difference for myself between a boy and a man is a Man will stand up for his beliefs, stand by his significant other, and rely on his own judgement, while a boy may sway his beliefs depending on peer pressure or "whats cool, they may not stand by there significant other if mom or dad don't approve, and they will turn to friends, family etc for guidance as they lack experience to make a solid judgement call.

OT: Yes this can be true for both sexes but the thread was a question as to what a man is vs a boy...don't get why some people must point out that it could be the same for both sexes when the topic is not about both. Describing characteristics you believe make a boy a man do not exclude said characteristics from what make a girl become a woman!
    Last edited by Odina; 2012-04-30 at 03:09 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    I'm fairly sure they are synonyms
    Technically they are not. "Male" tends to signify sex, and "man" signifies gender. Sex is having a certain physical makeup, whereas gender involves the performing of modes of dress, speech, mannerisms, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    If you have a job, have a vehicle, own your own house, and realize things like premarital sex and partying don't mean shit, therefore you don't do it. You stand up for what is right, and you stand your ground when threatened, you do what you have to do, whether you like it or not, and don't bitch about it. You don't let people walk all over you and at the same time you don't walk all over anyone else, because you are above that, you show some fucking respect.

If the description above describes you, congratulations. You are a man. If you don't follow any single of the values said above, sorry to say, you probably have a little bit of growing up to do.
    What makes a girl into a woman?

10+ Year Old Account
    the opposite to a Woman
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Deleted
    What a piece of work is a man?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyboucher View Post
    The difference for myself between a boy and a man is a Man will stand up for his beliefs, stand by his significant other, and rely on his own judgement, while a boy may sway his beliefs depending on peer pressure or "whats cool, they may not stand by there significant other if mom or dad don't approve, and they will turn to friends, family etc for guidance as they lack experience to make a solid judgement call.
    Consulting with others--especially those with more experience--is not necessarily a sign of immaturity. In fact it could very well be a sign of maturity. Acknowledging when you don't have enough experience to tackle an issue doesn't make you less of an adult. I would say it only becomes a concern when you 1) never learn and 2) always go to others in order to make decisions.

OT: Yes this can be true for both sexes but the thread was a question as to what a man is vs a boy...don't get why some people must point out that it could be the same for both sexes when the topic is not about both. Describing characteristics you believe make a boy a man do not exclude said characteristics from what make a girl become a woman!
    I pointed it out because I think the definition that would mentioned a few times in this thread, that becoming a man involves standing up for your beliefs, etc, tends to be mentioned mostly in terms of men. I'd be willing to be $ that if this thread were "What makes a girl into a woman?" that you wouldn't have seen this definition put on the table at all. I think guys in particular like to see themselves as stalwart warriors on the battlefield, a la Mel Gibson in Braveheart, standing up for what is right. It's just a bias that sneaks in when topics like this arise.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what it is to be a man, obviously. (skip to 0:29)

In all seriousness. The definition of "being a man" varies by person, just as much as what someone's idea of beauty means. It all comes down to one's own beliefs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    I pointed it out because I think the definition that would mentioned a few times in this thread, that becoming a man involves standing up for your beliefs, etc, tends to be mentioned mostly in terms of men. I'd be willing to be $ that if this thread were "What makes a girl into a woman?" that you wouldn't have seen this definition put on the table at all. I think guys in particular like to see themselves as stalwart warriors on the battlefield, a la Mel Gibson in Braveheart, standing up for what is right. It's just a bias that sneaks in when topics like this arise.
    In other words you were trying to point out a socially constructed chauvinistic ideology that only men can stand by there beliefs in a thread that was asking about personal opinions on what people beleived were defining characteristics of what makes a man a man vs a boy? Tossing out a random gender inequality comments about how men never seem to define women the same way and leave out "standing up for ones beliefs" in what makes a woman different from a girl seem to always sneak into topics like this as well!

odd how that happens!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    What if you are unable to get to army due some condition? Are you still a boy when you are dying of old age? :P
    Yes unfortunately you will be a boy for rest of your life.

I'm 21, unemployed, living at home with my mom, and don't even have a driver's license yet (to be fair, didn't need one when I lived in New England). Legally, I'm considered an adult, but would I consider myself one? Nope.

I'd say you "become a man (or woman)" when you can support yourself.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyboucher View Post
    In other words you were trying to point out a socially constructed chauvinistic ideology that only men can stand by there beliefs in a thread that was asking about personal opinions on what people beleived were defining characteristics of what makes a man a man vs a boy? Tossing out a random gender inequality comments about how men never seem to define women the same way and leave out "standing up for ones beliefs" in what makes a woman different from a girl seem to always sneak into topics like this as well!

odd how that happens!
    Why are you seeing such comments as "random" if you're also agreeing that they have context?

Really, when it comes to any topic--sex, gender, politics, etc--the trends and style of responses can often be just as interesting as the responses themselves. Comments that make people think about their assumptions and potential biases aren't random or useless. They can and do often lead to side conversations which are meaningful.

Deleted
    I'd say a boy becomes a man when he has finished going through puberty. So, the age varies from person to person.