What are these cow/pony levels?

It's obviously some D2 reference but I never played a diablo game before and I've been wondering, what is this Cow level that everyone talks about?
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

There is no cow level. Everything you know is a lie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moo.. muuh.. Mo..

The memories..
    I registered on MMO-Champion, and all I got was this lousy signature...

Deleted
    Other memory :
    Moo
    Moo
    *splat*
    FUCKING HELL WHO KILLED THE KING

*remakes char*

God those cows were scary..

Cow Level, in Diablo 2 anyway, was created when you combined a Tome of Town Portals and Wirt's Leg in the Horadric Cube
    Then you'd kill lots of cows walking on 2 legs weilding polearms.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never heard of a pony level, but the cow level was always fun.

Deleted

The cow level

10+ Year Old Account
    Was a great place to farm gear
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Deleted
    It was a blast going into the cow level with an amazon, lightning fury + perfect eth titan's revenge killed so many so fast

Deleted
    So there will be no COW levels. That doesn't mean there won't be x (fill in another type of animal/monster here) levels.

Deleted
    There ain't any cow level. Never been. Don't trust what they say, it's all a lie.

At least that's the joke

IIRC the whole thing started with a false rumor about Diablo 1 having a secret "cow level", which Blizzard then put in as an actual easter egg area in D2. This zone was extremely popular among powergamers because of being an easily exploitable level grinding area prior to being nerfed in a patch, and that may have helped reinforce the popularity of the catchphrase. They would then go on to reference the cow level (or rather the alleged inexistence of it) in other games such as the sheep level in Frozen Throne and loading screen tips in WoW. It seems from early datamining as if Diablo III in turn will have a similiar easter egg area, dubbed the "pony level" by speculators for most likely referencing the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic cartoon series in certain spoken lines and boss names.

That's pretty much the whole deal. Just a somewhat obscure-in-origin Blizzard tradition dating back to an old community joke.