Poll: How would you rank GW2 difficulty.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Did anyone else find gw2 hard?

Title says it all. Sometimes I was scared to go certain ways or take on DEs by myself because I knew I would get rocked. I LOVED IT!!! Made the world feel so alive.

So my question is how would you rank the difficulty?

Define hard.

It wasn't complicated, but it required your attention. It's sort of like bosses in MMOs where they themselves aren't difficult, but they hit really hard or have a ton of health so they required a lot of gear to beat. It's like that, in a way. Minus the gear.

Deleted
    To be honest, I thought it was really easy.

Now don't take me wrong, not that easy, but it was easy because I was able to avoid all of the damage, and I didn't really feel any threat. As a melee I could just strafe either to the right or to the left around an enemy and they couldn't hit me while I was damaging them.

But otherwise, yes, I really loved the feeling of ''I shouldn't do this alone, it wouldn't end well''.

I think they should make it harder. Was too easy for my taste. Except for when they changed me into a minotaur during my Norn Necro personal storyline. Died like 10 times in a row until i killed these mobs. My pack of minotaur was suppose to help me, but the all died like instantly, grrr.

Low. The only cases of game being hard was me going to zones several levels above my own on second character (mesmer), and difficulty generally came not from the enemy I was fighting, but from the broken spawn timers often spawning mobs on top of me as I am fighting the next bunch.

Pretty much everything else in PvE was a breeze. It's pretty much balanced for a casual player, so I guess I'm simply not the target audience.

It's hard to define difficulty. It's pretty subjective. While I had no issues leveling I couldn't help but think how much more I had to pay attention to what was going on.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was feeling some stress over staying alive for sure, that's uncommon for me in MMOs. I like this, it makes me feel like I'm playing well.

I tried an engineer, thief, elementalist, and mesmer and mesmer was by far the easiest to survive with, probably because of clones and illusions. Elementalist was really fun but I felt like it could get really complex staying alive sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Define hard.

It wasn't complicated, but it required your attention. It's sort of like bosses in MMOs where they themselves aren't difficult, but they hit really hard or have a ton of health so they required a lot of gear to beat. It's like that, in a way. Minus the gear.
    Should of gone to charr starting area and tried the Shaman DE that I can't remember the name of, yes it's a group one and level 6 iirc but even with 10 people it was extra hard because of repsawns. Not that I'm complaining just pointing out that not everything is faceroll, specially as a melee and when it requires patience when pulling multiple mobs otherwise you will outright die.

Because the scaling is still pretty much broken I often found myself having to battle huge packs of mobs at once even though they were meant for 5+ players. Needless to say I got completely owned, but that's really the hardest it got, and it's only because of broken scaling.

The difficulties just right, difficult enough so that it's actually quite tough to keep yourself alive and to heavily damage mobs of even one level higher than you, but not so difficult that it becomes impossible. I think difficulty-wise, ANet have hit the nail perfectly.

If you rolled a ranged first off you would of found it very easy, if you rolled a melee it would be very hard. If you then picked up a bow or pistols on your melee it would go back to being very easy again.

That human thief storyline man... where you had to go to the hideout and while there had to kill some thing that came out of the water. The quest said level 6 or 7, but man i couldn't beat it without dying and shadow stepping back before it regenerated health. And I consider myself fairly good at some games considering i keybind ALL my shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    you can't debate with a game that sends you dragons via mail

Difficulty ranged from 3/10 to 10/10 for me. I played a guardian, made use of almost all the weapons save hammer, and I thoroughly enjoyed the difficulty of just killing things.

Ultimately the game comes down to player skill. You need to constantly be moving. If you are wasting your dodges on running away from a mob faster than you, you will be killed. I learned quickly that the most efficient way to counter the threat of mobs was to actively watch what they did and counter it with your abilities.

My layout for most high level (20+) areas was mostly
    Mace/Shield and Staff
    or
    Greatsword and Scepter/Focus.
    I picked up Sanctuary, Retreat, and Wall of Reflection as my utility skills, with shelter or Healing Breath for the healing skill.

I would use Sanctuary in emergencies, retreat as both a kiting supplement and a defensive cooldown for the aegis buff, and Wall of Reflection was immensely powerful against ranged monsters.

For high powered melee monsters, such as ettins, I would circle-strafe around them until I saw the telegraph for a huge attack, then dodge out of the way. I heard many people complain about melee being squishy, and I agree even as a guardian class It was IF I wasn't playing well, but if you spend enough time to learn the movement, the dodging, and the active avoidance and mitigation it became much easier.

Fantastic combat once you get used to it. It's so much more than hitting 1 and 2 while standing in place, you need to constantly be moving. The combat thrives when it finally clicks that it doesn't matter what class you are, it matters how you play the game.

No, I found it challenging, but not hard. Somethings required you to think on your feet. If you failed at that, it would kill you for it and that is a good thing. I'm so tired of games that just hold your hand and give you every possible means to survive any fight. I like that they made so you will die if you don't play well. What's the point of a game if you can't lose?

However that isn't to say that difficulty was perfect everywhere. Some events were kind of impossible unless there was a horde of people. Like the flame shaman. That guy was ridiculous, but I wouldn't call it hard, just broken.

As a hardcore MMO player I thought the difficulty was just right. From playing some of the most difficult MMOs where you die constantly and WoW I think GW2 is just right. Don't get me wrong I would die a lot if the random bad mob spawns got me or if I pulled too many monsters on me which was my mistake. But generally I was able to keep myself alive with 2 to even 5 mobs attacking me depending on how lucky I got with my openings. I thought it was very good how we have to dodge out of knockdowns and actually move out of the path of some enemies. Strafing is your friend. Managed to get to level 30 with no problem on my necromancer. I went Minion Master and thought it was fairly easy as long as I had a Bone Fiend or another Minion tank the mob. I do think that the healing abilities need a rewrite especially since they literally did the same healing as a necromancer and the obvious choice for us was the Minion one since it would attack targets. Other than the occasional bad mob time or pulling too many mobs at once I rarely died. Overall I think the difficulty is just right for gamers who have been playing MMO's for awhile but I can see where it could be too difficult for new MMO players at times.

Offtopic. One thing I disliked was how it forced you to go to a different races zone just so you could get a high enough level to go to your races next zone. Not once did I make it through a zone and was able to go onto the next without having to go to either the Charr's or Norn's zone. Also Idk if this was everyone but no Shift+Key keybinds? Idk about you but if this feature is not added Laylie will be pissed off.
    Last edited by Zaerick; 2012-05-01 at 02:00 AM.

There were certain areas and mobs which obviously need another pass or two. Difficulty in DEs and among mundane mobs was erratic. Feel most of the 'too hard' stuff stemmed from this sort thing. Not accounting for players with lag or subpar PCs, natch.

Could be an unusual control scheme among MMOs too. Not sure how big a factor that might have been exactly.

Though the game was pretty okay difficulty wise. Most of the hard stuff I found were some heart events in Snowden or just the fact that gen pop for certain areas was noticeably not tuned. Such as the skill point challenge in the ice spider cave- instant spawn Champion spider queen 2/s after you killed the last.

Edit: Or the damn wolves in Snowden that were instant spawn out in the middle of nowhere. Grr.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-01 at 02:04 AM.

I picked the just right option. Especially for only having done content up to lvl 25. Some of it may have been too easy, but I'm okay with that because it balanced off with harder stuff, and some things that were straight up impossible to solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    Offtopic. One thing I disliked was how it forced you to go to a different races zone just so you could get a high enough level to go to your races next zone. Not once did I make it through a zone and was able to go onto the next without having to go to either the Charr's or Norn's zone. Also Idk if this was everyone but no Shift+Key keybinds? Idk about you but if this feature is not added Laylie will be pissed off.

I played all 3 races and the only race I didn't have this problem with was Norn.

Quote Originally Posted by Salaction160 View Post
    I think they should make it harder. Was too easy for my taste. Except for when they changed me into a minotaur during my Norn Necro personal storyline. Died like 10 times in a row until i killed these mobs. My pack of minotaur was suppose to help me, but the all died like instantly, grrr.
    The charr personal quests can get quite difficult to solo. From looking around the beta forums, the difficulty really varied depending on what race and companions you choose. I tried all the personal quests within 1 level of the recommended on my charr necro, some where very easy, but others I had a hell of a time doing them. Lots of killing a few mobs, restarting from checkpoint, kill a few more.

There was the occasional instance where I was put up against elites with homing attacks capable of killing me rather easily, but they were rare (and I may have been doing something wrong). Otherwise, I found the difficulty of fights to range from very easy, to rather hard, with either mobs dying in a few seconds or mobs bringing you down in one blow when an event was swamped with players (Flame Shaman, anyone?)

However, the majority of the game was "just right", and the challenging events or personal story quests were fun to complete. Just a combination of players learning something new and a bit of fine tuning needing to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    Also Idk if this was everyone but no Shift+Key keybinds? Idk about you but if this feature is not added Laylie will be pissed off.
    I found this rather odd too, and hope they add Shift+Key keybinds into live.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2012-05-01 at 02:15 AM.

Deleted
    I hope they won't make it easier that takes the challenge and feeling of danger away

I though gw2 was balanced quite well