Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Buying gold with cash from the in game store? Tell me this is not true.

From what I here, you can buy gems with cash then convert that to gold. Did I here right, you can buy gold in GW2?

You can buy gems, other players can then buy the gems you have bought with gold
    So you can't buy gold but players can use gold to buy your gems

It's similar but not quite the same, and it's also already been discussed to death so I see a lock in your immediate future

Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    From what I here, you can buy gems with cash then convert that to gold. Did I here right, you can buy gold in GW2?
    From what I here, you can buy pets with cash then convert that to gold. Did I here right, you can buy gold in WoW?

Microtransactions make sooooo much money, why wouldn't they capitalize on it?

Someone get the chart Mif posted.

Short and simple: Yes, you can sell gems for gold from other players. No, gold does not give you an large advantage over other people.

The only way you can gain an advantage over other players is if you use money for gems, sell gems for gold, and then convert gold into influence, and use influence to gain buffs. The rate of exchange makes this basically not very viable. Sure, I suppose if you dumped like $50 a week into the game your guild would have a large advantage over everyone else in something like WvWvW... but realistically?
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-01 at 01:56 AM.

You're buying gold that's made from players though, it's a bit different than buying gold from the developers that brings more gold into the economy. It benefits people that have the cash to spend, and the people that don't have the cash but still wish to buy microtransactions.

I don't know maybe I just old but buying gold is buying gold any way you spin it, and it should be frowned upon. Hell not to long ago gold buying was a ban able offense...

10+ Year Old Account
    There are two ways to get Gems in Guild Wars 2, the first way is through the Cash Shop, the second way is through the Auction House when the Gems are posted by other players.

You're not paying USD for in game gold, you're paying money for Gems which you can either use to unlock things from the Cash Shop (Transmutation Stones, Character Slots, experience boosters) or to sell them on the auction house.

---------- Post added 2012-04-30 at 08:54 PM ----------

I don't know maybe I just old but buying gold is buying gold any way you spin it, and it should be frowned upon. Hell not to long ago gold buying was a ban able offense...
    There's precedence though from how blizzard made certain IGS pets/ mounts auction-able.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Gold buying was never a bannable offence in GW2

Oh, before someone brings it up, the experience boost is for mob kills. Which by themselves are basically like 5 or 10 percent of your actual experience. Most of it comes from DEs, hearts, and so on.

Experience is also incredibly easy to come by in this game anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Oh, before someone brings it up, the experience boost is for mob kills. Which by themselves are basically like 5 or 10 percent of your actual experience. Most of it comes from DEs, hearts, and so on.

Experience is also incredibly easy to come by in this game anyways.
    Grinding mobs for exp is just horrible lol

I was like 2 bars from leveling on one character, instead of grinding mobs to level I just went to divinitys reach and discovered waypoints and interest points.

Actually it's more like buying silver. In the beta about 100 gems got you 8 silver give or take, which isn't a lot. It's ALMOST enough for a retraining manual to reset your traits, lol.

Seriously the whole buying in-game money isn't an issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    There's precedence though from how blizzard made certain IGS pets/ mounts auction-able.
    Yeah I didn't like that either (had quit before then) and was very surprised they went that route.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I didn't like that either (had quit before then) and was very surprised they went that route.
    It's designed to keep player money in the hands of the developers over the gold farmers, and this way it doesn't necessarily break the economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by koji356303 View Post
    Actually it's more like buying silver. In the beta about 100 gems got you 8 silver give or take, which isn't a lot. It's ALMOST enough for a retraining manual to reset your traits, lol.

Seriously the whole buying in-game money isn't an issue at all.
    You don't buy a manual to reset your traits. After you buy your first book another option with the npc appears, I don't think it even costs more than a silver to reset traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    It's designed to keep player money in the hands of the developers over the gold farmers, and this way it doesn't necessarily break the economy.
    Yeah but it's still gold buying... Idk maybe because gw2 is b2p it makes since from a business stand point more so than in other circumstances.

All the boosters are also available in game easily through the gold earned. All this does is give something to those with less time to play. Ppl with the time to invest will have no use for these boosters, and they're the only conceivable "advantage"

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    agree completely

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    You don't buy a manual to reset your traits. After you buy your first book another option with the npc appears, I don't think it even costs more than a silver to reset traits.
    7 silver to reset actually when I did it.

Also the way I understood the gem to gold transfer was it worked like material traders in gw1. It seemed that you got gold from the game not other players, but the exchange rate was totally based on how many people we doing it in a supply-demand equation. IE if alot of people bought gold with gems but few the other way around, your would start getting less gold per gem and vice versa. This mean makes it seem like you are buying gold from players with it, but with the case that it is possible to have EVERYONE buy gold for gems and no one actually buy the gems via gold, just the price for the gold would start to get ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    All the boosters are also available in game easily through the gold earned. All this does is give something to those with less time to play. Ppl with the time to invest will have no use for these boosters, and they're the only conceivable "advantage"
    I'm not to pressed about xp boost, what's the rush anyways.