Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    Don't have insurances like that in Sweden. Instead, our government pays 50% of the total cost if it exceeds a certain amount.
    Think it's everything from 3000 Swe/kr (~400 USD) and up. So i need to be smart about it and save up my problems until i go for my annual checkup so that the price exceeds 3000 kr so i get my 50% discount and therefor save money.

Also, we get like 1 hour per year paid from work to visit the dentist<- this rules.
    Hmm, sorry the waiting on tax return thing sounded distinctly American, my mistake. I don't know the relative costs there but a checkup here is typically 90-120 USD. You can usually refuse things that 'cost' more like x-rays and the like if they recommend them. Might get you an idea of whats going on. Teeth are important so it might be worth spending in the short term just to make sure there's nothing systemic going on rather than rely on self diagnosis.

Hi there,

I do not have insurance myself and I needed to have my wisdom teeth pulled (all four) this past week. From the quotes I was given by my dentist's staff, I was going to be paying around 240 a tooth straight up. The ladies at the desk suggested a dental discount plan and instead of paying over 1200 (I opted to get the valium which was expensive because I did not want to be awake for the procedure), I ended up paying 860 for all four teeth, an x-ray and the vallium. Minus the vallium, it would have been around 600 bucks.

While I don't know your situation, mine made this very doable despite working a full time job and taking evening classes (which I also pay out of pocket) for my nursing degree. The dental discount plan cost about 120 for 12 months and I found it to be totally worth it because it will not only cover the extractions, but future maintenance and checkups. I am personally using the Careington 500 plan and have been happy with it so far.

Even if you still have to wait for your check, I suggest looking into a dental plan to save you extra money.

Also, I've found that milk gives me stomach problems occasionally, so I drink almond milk which has less calories with a comparable amount of calcium. Just a suggestion, good luck!

Edit: Bah, i just saw your response that you are from Sweden. The dental discount stuff will probably not apply to you. Oh well, hopefully someone else can get something out of my post.
    Last edited by Mallika; 2012-05-30 at 01:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuwin View Post
    Hmm, sorry the waiting on tax return thing sounded distinctly American, my mistake. I don't know the relative costs there but a checkup here is typically 90-120 USD. You can usually refuse things that 'cost' more like x-rays and the like if they recommend them. Might get you an idea of whats going on. Teeth are important so it might be worth spending in the short term just to make sure there's nothing systemic going on rather than rely on self diagnosis.
    It's about the same here. Check-up's usually land on around 110-150 USD, cleanings can be anything from 80-300 USD. Fillings however can be pricey, and will probably cost around 500-700USD alone. There are extras for X-rays here too. I'm probably looking at a price tag at around 900-1000 bucks. But i agree, teeth are important and shouldn't be ignored for an extended time period.

Edit: Bah, i just saw your response that you are from Sweden. The dental discount stuff will probably not apply to you. Oh well, hopefully someone else can get something out of my post.
    It does We get 50% off if the price exceeds 400 USD (3000swedish). But, as you know dental work can be expensive so i will still need to pay a pretty hefty amount myself.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-05-30 at 02:03 PM.

Deleted
    The "ghosting" that you talk about is actually enamel damage. Usually if you shine a light into your mouth and look in the mirror you will see the solid "white" of the tooth, then on the outskirts around the tooth it will look faded/ semi transparent.

The white spots I also have.

My teeth although not so bad as they once were are IMO still in bad shape due to an accident I had when younger and I had to get a brace fitted to fix my teeth, thus they add clips to your back teeth for tightening purposes which in turn damage the enamel on those 4 back teeth. So I ended up with fillings unfortunately 1 of those teeth is actually starting to break due to the damage caused to it :/

I brush my teeth twice a day and drink no fizzy juice at all.

Guess some people are just unlucky :P

"People may have white spots on their teeth without ever having worn braces. It is important to look at the diet to determine what this cause of white spots may be. Often times it is the result of drinking fluids that are infused with vitamins and minerals such as sports drinks, vitamin waters, and fruit waters. All these drinks are extremely acidic and remove the minerals from the teeth. Even tap water that contains fluoride can cause white spots to develop.

Others notice that their white spots are primarily on the pointed tips of their teeth. Those who suffer from acid reflux are the most susceptible to this cause due to the fact that the acidity in their mouth is regularly higher than the average person. Again, even when it is secluded to the tips, the cause of white spots on the teeth may be because of person’s diet. Eating many sour candies, lemons, and vinegar based foods eat away at the pointed parts of the teeth. Acidic drinks such as soda and lemonade are also common causes."

GC Mousse Plus helps reduce the white spots which is around $20-30. I would rather spend that money on a dental consultation and know all my options though.

Also, don't brush too long--2 minutes are more than enough to clean your teeth. Use a soft brush and NEVER EVER scrub your teeth (gently brush them), it doesn't make them any cleaner but instead wears away your enamel.

EDIT: The use of antibiotics when you were young could also be the cause of the white spots you have.
    Last edited by Kaniinchen; 2012-05-30 at 02:44 PM.

You must not ignore this problem and see a dentist immediately Nowadays there are various dental care you can go there.They deal with all types of tooth problem and cure it at less time and less money.If you have any financial problems you can tell them,they may do your treatment in installments.So visit a dental care immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    honestly, it sounds like you're brushing too often and for too long. pretty simple.

Deleted
    Do you brush before or after breakfast/eating in general?

You should eat only proteins in dust so your teeth never become yellow again.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you brush right after drinking soft drinks and other fizzy type drinks, dont, the fizzy drinks weaken your tooth enamel, brushing them adds to the effect and can wear it away further, drink pleanty of water after a drink like that

The white spots are perm. and can not be brushed away. White spots on teeth are caused by too much fluoride, too much fluoride when you was younger and medicine. I have dental insurance and I don't go. I go into very bad panic attacks when they try to clean my teeth or to fix them, making it pointless to go. I have yet to find a dentist that would "put me to sleep" to work on my teeth, like how they do for dental surgery.

Deleted
    Get prescription fluoride mouth rinsing water. The over the counter ones do not have high enough concentrations. Rinse your mouth once per week with it, and obviously do not swallow it.

I have this exact same problem.
    My dentist advised me:
    * Use a softer toothbrush.
    * Brush for 2-3 minutes and don't press too hard, light brushing is all that is required and use a timer to make sure you do not go over.
    * Always brush your teeth at a 45 degree angle as this causes less enamel wear on your teeth.
    * Brush your teeth 1 hour to 45 minutes BEFORE you eat as your teeth will be more protected from acids in your food and wait the same amount of time after eating to clean again.
    * Use a high flouride toothpaste. If you speak to your dentist you can get some on prescription that you are unable to buy over the counter. It's called 'Duraphat 5000'. Never swallow it as the flouride content is so high it can cause death. But it will help the enamel on your teeth.
    * Never drink fizzy drinks or juices like orange, apple etc. These cause awful damage to your teeth and if it is the enamel, no amount of brushing will reverse any of the damage everytime you drink. I have to drink water or squash (diluted pop through a straw).
    * I have to take Calcium tablets also for weak bones/teeth due to illness. But your lactose intolerance you should be taking these also.

My teeth are slowly getting better, but will never go back to how they were.
    I hope this helps you, I have the exact same symptoms and was literally at the dentist last week for a checkup =]
    Last edited by Clare; 2012-06-30 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I spend about 3-5 minutes both morning and evening brushing my teeth, flossing at least twice a week, chewing gum after every meal and drink. I'm pretty much a dental hypochondriac!
    With that said... I have many dental issues that i shouldn't have considering how much time i've put in "maintenance"

1: My two front teeth have become translucent at the edge and one of them has gone so far that it has broken in the corner.
    2: I have white spots on my corner teeth that i can't brush away how hard i try! The spots is the whitest shade of white possible.
    3: I can't afford to pay a visit to the dentist right now and that's the only reason i turned here. It will have to wait until i get my tax refund in June.

I've done all i can to prevent the decay of my teeth and i'm completely clueless. Any idea how to prevent this and what may have caused it?

I think you should contact your medical dentist; because according to your words you are complete hypochondriac and your problem is normal, but all precautions which will be suggested by anyone; you already had done those.

Oh dear! Dental-hypochondriac is tough one to deal with. My first suggestion, is make a habit of rinsing your mouth after every time you eat something. This ensures there is no food particles left which go right into the teeth cavities make your teeth rot badly. Before going to bed do brush your teeth, drop the habit of drinking coca cola in excess as that stuff is not good not only for your oral hygiene but also for overall fitness and most important do visit dentist twice a year, once in a six month, get your regular oral check-up done so that you don't have to worry about dental problems over the year. I hope this helps!

Infracted - Thread Necro
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2017-04-17 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DLand View Post
    Oh dear! Dental-hypochondriac is tough one to deal with. My first suggestion, is make a habit of rinsing your mouth after every time you eat something. This ensures there is no food particles left which go right into the teeth cavities make your teeth rot badly. Before going to bed do brush your teeth, drop the habit of drinking coca cola in excess as that stuff is not good not only for your oral hygiene but also for overall fitness and most important do visit dentist twice a year, once in a six month, get your regular oral check-up done so that you don't have to worry about dental problems over the year. I hope this helps!
    Why? Why would you necro this? It's from 2012! I'm sure they got it taken care of by now.

Closing - Necro'd thread.